Affiliation: SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Validation of the Godin-Shephard questionnaire in prepubertal girlsTamara A Scerpella
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:845-50. 2002..This study was designed to provide validation of the Godin-Shephard questionnaire for the assessment of habitual activity in prepubertal children...
- Dose related association of impact activity and bone mineral density in pre-pubertal girlsT A Scerpella
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 550 Harrison, Suite 100, Syracuse, New York 13202, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 72:24-31. 2003..10) (P<0.0001). In conclusion, in this group of pre-pubescent girls, we observed a dose-dependent relationship between BMD and hrs/wk of impact activity; even moderate doses of impact activity were associated with increased BMD...
- Maturity and activity-related differences in bone mineral density: Tanner I vs. II and gymnasts vs. non-gymnastsJodi N Dowthwaite
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 550 Harrison St, Suite 128, Syracuse, NY 13202, USA
Bone 39:895-900. 2006..Overall, aBMD correlations and ANCOVA results differ by activity group, maturity level and site. These results highlight the need to consider both maturity and activity status in studies assessing bone accrual...
- Bone geometry, density, and strength indices of the distal radius reflect loading via childhood gymnastic activityJodi N Dowthwaite
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13202, USA
J Clin Densitom 10:65-75. 2007..Fall strength ratios and BMC/FFM ratios were greater in gymnasts (p<0.05). Geometric and volumetric responses to mechanical loading are site specific during late childhood and early adolescence...
- Anterior and middle column thoracolumbar spine injuries in young female gymnasts. Report of seven cases and review of the literatureDanielle A Katz
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York, USA
Am J Sports Med 31:611-6. 2003
- Fan-beam densitometry of the growing skeleton: are we measuring what we think we are?Jacqueline H Cole
Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Clin Densitom 8:57-64. 2005..Particularly in pediatric subjects, increases in soft tissue during normal growth could increase a bone's distance from the fan-beam source and result in apparent reductions in area and bone mineral content...
- Role of impact activity in peripubertal bone accrualTAMARA SCERPELLA; Fiscal Year: 2003..inactive children. Confirmation of the proposed hypotheses will affirm the importance of childhood activity in bone accrual, providing evidence of the protective effect of such activity. ..
- Sustained Skeletal Benefits of Adolescent ExerciseTAMARA SCERPELLA; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Sustained Skeletal Benefits of Adolescent ExerciseTamara A Scerpella; Fiscal Year: 2010....