Steven L Batki
Affiliation: SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Patient and provider attitudes towards monitored naltrexone treatment of alcohol dependence in schizophreniaLuba Leontieva
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Psychiatry, Syracuse, New York, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 35:273-8. 2009..To describe the attitudes of patients and their mental health providers regarding participation in a controlled trial of directly monitored naltrexone (NTX) treatment for alcohol dependence in schizophrenia...
- A controlled trial of methadone treatment combined with directly observed isoniazid for tuberculosis prevention in injection drug usersSteven L Batki
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 750 East Adams St, Syracuse 13210, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 66:283-93. 2002..The results of this study indicate that methadone treatment offers clear public health benefits when it is used to deliver preventive medical services...
- Monitored naltrexone without counseling for alcohol abuse/dependence in schizophrenia-spectrum disordersSteven L Batki
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Am J Addict 16:253-9. 2007..Subjects also showed significant reductions in Addiction Severity Index (ASI) alcohol composite scores and in PANSS positive, negative and general psychopathology scores...
- Voucher-based incentives for naltrexone treatment attendance in schizophrenia and alcohol use disordersLuba Leontieva
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:310-4. 2008..This study assessed the feasibility of voucher-based incentives for attendance for directly observed naltrexone treatment in a controlled trial for alcohol use disorders in schizophrenia...
- Accuracy of self-reported medical problems in patients with alcohol dependence and co-occurring schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorderZsuzsa Szombathyne Meszaros
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, United States
Schizophr Res 132:190-3. 2011..Schizophrenia and alcohol dependence (AD) are both major risk factors for a variety of medical problems, yet little is known about the medical status of patients in whom both conditions coexist...
- A randomized trial of 6-month methadone maintenance with standard or minimal counseling versus 21-day methadone detoxificationValerie A Gruber
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, Ward 93, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 94:199-206. 2008..Important questions remain regarding the necessary duration and intensity for methadone treatment to be effective...
- Psychiatric and substance use disorders among methadone maintenance patients with chronic hepatitis C infection: effects on eligibility for hepatitis C treatmentSteven L Batki
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Addict 20:312-8. 2011..Most MMT patients were eligible [corrected] for HCV treatment despite current SUD and non-SUD diagnoses. Depression severity may be a more significant predictor of HCV treatment eligibility than is substance use...
- Alcohol use biomarkers predicting cognitive performance: a secondary analysis in veterans with alcohol dependence and posttraumatic stress disorderRaj K Kalapatapu
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, 401 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Mil Med 178:974-80. 2013....
- Varenicline treatment of concurrent alcohol and nicotine dependence in schizophrenia: a randomized, placebo-controlled pilot trialZsuzsa Szombathyne Meszaros
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 33:243-7. 2013..Based on this small sample, concurrent alcohol and nicotine dependence in schizophrenia may present special obstacles to successful treatment with varenicline...
- Voucher reinforcement improves medication adherence in HIV-positive methadone patients: a randomized trialJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, Building 20, Ward 21, 1001 Potrero Avenue, Box 0852, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 88:54-63. 2007..Differences between groups faded after vouchers were discontinued. Contingency management shows promise as a strategy to promote antiretroviral medication adherence in this population...
- Methadone maintenance patients' knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and experiences concerning treatment for hepatitis C virus infectionKelly M Canfield
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Subst Use Misuse 45:496-514. 2010..Study limitations and implications are discussed...
- Predictors of smoking severity in patients with schizophrenia and alcohol use disordersZsuzsa Szombathyne Meszaros
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Am J Addict 20:462-7. 2011..In summary, severe, treatment resistant schizophrenia, and conventional antipsychotic treatment is associated with heavy smoking in patients with schizophrenia and AUD regardless of gender or alcohol use...
- Lamotrigine-associated rash and blood dyscrasias in a methadone-treatment patient with hepatitis CShirley Alleyne
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York, NY, USA
Psychosomatics 47:257-8. 2006
- Health-related quality of life in methadone maintenance patients with untreated hepatitis C virus infectionSteven L Batki
University of California, San Francisco, Department of Psychiatry, and San Francisco VA Medical Center, 4150 Clement St 116P, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 101:176-82. 2009..To assess health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) patients with untreated chronic HCV infection and to determine the clinical factors that predict HRQOL...
- Quantitative drug levels in stimulant psychosis: relationship to symptom severity, catecholamines and hyperkinesiaSteven L Batki
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York SUNY Upstate Medical University and Syracuse VA Medical Center, Syracuse, NY, USA
Am J Addict 13:461-70. 2004..Although many other factors such as sensitization may play a role, intensity of stimulant-induced psychotic symptoms and stereotypies appears to be at least in part dose-related...
- Fluoxetine attenuates adrenocortical but not subjective responses to cocaine cuesDebra S Harris
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati VA Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45220, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 30:765-82. 2004..Cortisol response to cocaine cues was not related to subjective craving. Activation of the HPA axis by cocaine cues does not appear to be a necessary mediator of cue-induced craving...
- Relationship of age to impulsivity and decision making: a baseline secondary analysis of a behavioral treatment study in stimulant use disordersRaj K Kalapatapu
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Addict Dis 32:206-16. 2013..An important direction for future research is the development of cognitively remediating treatments for impaired cognitive domains in aging adults with stimulant use disorders. ..
- Urine toxicology samples in cocaine treatment trials: how many need to be tested?Kevin L Delucchi
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0984, USA
J Addict Dis 21:17-26. 2002..50 and approximately 20% disagreement among samples using cutoff values in place of quantitative levels. Both samples, however, supported similar conclusions about group-level behavior...
- Rural jail telepsychiatry: a pilot feasibility studyLuisa Manfredi
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York, USA
Telemed J E Health 11:574-7. 2005..Future advocacy for increased mental health services in rural areas in criminal justice setting is likely to depend on further evidence of favorable cost benefit...
- Medical service use and financial charges among opioid users at a public hospitalCarmen L Masson
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco at San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 66:45-50. 2002..The findings suggest that health care providers and policy makers consider policies that promote ambulatory care use among opioid users seeking medical care through the public health care system...
- Improving the care of individuals with schizophrenia and substance use disorders: consensus recommendationsDouglas M Ziedonis
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 675 Hoes Lane, Rm D 349, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 11:315-39. 2005..An algorithm summarizing the consensus recommendations is provided in an appendix...
- PHARMACOTHERAPY OF METHAMPHETAMINE DEPENDENCESteven Batki; Fiscal Year: 2002..In those subjects who participate in both phases of the project, the severity of cue reactivity in Phase 2 will be correlated with amount of outpatient methamphetamine use as measured in Phase1. ..