Jerome L Sullivan
- Iron therapy and cardiovascular diseaseJ L Sullivan
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, USA
Kidney Int Suppl 69:S135-7. 1999..In this article, the history and current status of the "iron hypothesis" on ischemic heart disease are briefly reviewed, followed by comments on iron management practices for renal patients...
- The big idea: the coxib crisis iron, aspirin and heart disease risk revisitedJerome L Sullivan
Burnett College of Biomedical Sciences, University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, USA
J R Soc Med 100:346-9. 2007
- Is homocysteine an iron-dependent cardiovascular risk factor?J L Sullivan
Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA
Kidney Int 69:642-4. 2006..There may be no vasculopathic effect of homocysteine without available reactive iron. Iron-dependent amplification of the vascular effects of homocysteine may be one of several mechanisms by which stored iron increases cardiac risk...
- Is stored iron safe?Jerome L Sullivan
Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, USA
J Lab Clin Med 144:280-4. 2004
- Iron in arterial plaque: modifiable risk factor for atherosclerosisJerome L Sullivan
Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Orlando, Florida, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:718-23. 2009..The reviewed findings support the concept that arterial plaque iron is a modifiable risk factor for atherogenesis...
- Macrophage iron, hepcidin, and atherosclerotic plaque stabilityJerome L Sullivan
Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 232:1014-20. 2007..The proposed effects of hepcidin and iron in plaque progression offer an explanation of the paradox of no increase in atherosclerosis in patients with hemochromatosis despite a key role of iron in atherogenesis in normal subjects...
- [Current status of the iron hypothesis of cardiovascular diseases]Jerome L Sullivan
Burnett College of Biomedical Sciences, University of Central Florida, Orlando, USA
Recenti Prog Med 98:373-7. 2007..The FeAST trial adds urgency to the initiation of new studies to assess the impact of maintenance of complete iron depletion in the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases...
- Blood donation, iron depletion and vascular integrityJerome L Sullivan
Atherosclerosis 175:381; author reply 383. 2004
- Stored iron and vascular reactivityJerome L Sullivan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1532-5. 2005
- Are menstruating women protected from heart disease because of, or in spite of, estrogen? Relevance to the iron hypothesisJerome L Sullivan
Am Heart J 145:190-4. 2003
- Iron chelation by green tea flavonoids and improved endothelial function in chronic smokersLuca Mascitelli
Circ J 70:1523; author reply 1523-4. 2006
- Overexpression of transferrin receptor and ferritin related to clinical symptoms and destabilization of human carotid plaquesWei Li
Division of Experimental Pathology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233:818-26. 2008..The cytoplasmic overexpression of TfR1 may be the result of lysosomal dysfunction and ectopic accumulation of lysosomal cathepsin L caused by atheroma-relevant lipids in atherogenesis...
- Stored iron and myocardial perfusion deficitsJerome L Sullivan
Am Heart J 143:193-5. 2002
- Iron reduction and cardiovascular outcomesJerome L Sullivan
JAMA 297:2075; author reply 2076. 2007
- The effect of polyphenols in olive oil on heart disease risk factorsLuca Mascitelli
Ann Intern Med 146:394; author reply 394-5. 2007
- Inhibition of iron absorption by coffee and the reduced risk of type 2 diabetes mellitusLuca Mascitelli
Arch Intern Med 167:204-5; author reply 205. 2007
- Interactions of stored iron with traditional and inflammatory cardiovascular risk factorsJerome L Sullivan
Atherosclerosis 167:169. 2003
- Hormone therapy and cardiovascular diseaseJerome L Sullivan
N Engl J Med 349:2075-6. 2003
- Re: Association between hemochromatosis (HFE) gene mutation carrier status and the risk of colon cancerJerome L Sullivan
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:829-30; author reply 830. 2003