- Sugarbaker P. A Patent Cranial End of the Ductus Venosus Can Result in Hemorrhage when Performing a Lesser Omentectomy-Omental Bursectomy Procedure. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:522-4 pubmed publisher..As the specimen is removed from the superior aspect of the omental bursa, the attachments between the ligamentum venosum and the left hepatic vein should be ligated prior to the transection. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Avoiding Diverting Ileostomy in Patients Requiring Complete Pelvic Peritonectomy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1481-5 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that preservation of a 10-15Â cm length of rectum allows a second layer of sutures to be placed over the stapled colorectal anastomoses. This is a safe alternative to a diverting ileostomy in selected patients. ..
- Sugarbaker P, Ihemelandu C, Bijelic L. Cytoreductive Surgery and HIPEC as a Treatment Option for Laparoscopic Resection of Uterine Leiomyosarcoma with Morcellation: Early Results. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1501-7 pubmed publisher..However, patients after laparoscopic resection and morcellation have CRS and HIPEC plus EPIC as a treatment option. Results regarding short-term benefit are suggested by these early data, especially with early referral. ..
- Sugarbaker P. An instrument to provide containment of intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy with optimized distribution. J Surg Oncol. 2005;92:142-6 pubmed
- ..Up to 56% of these patients have Class 2 or 3 hepatic bridge and may require division of the hepatic bridge to completely visualize the contents of the tunnel created by this structure. ..
- Llanos M, Sugarbaker P. Symptoms, signs and radiologic findings in patients having reoperative surgery for malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:138-143 pubmed publisher..An abdominal or pelvic mass was associated with a reduced prognosis and an absence of radiologic abnormalities with an improved prognosis. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Strategies to improve local control of resected pancreas adenocarcinoma. Surg Oncol. 2017;26:63-70 pubmed publisher..The use of HIPEC and NIPEC-LT gemcitabine may improve local control of resected pancreas cancer. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Laboratory and clinical basis for hyperthermia as a component of intracavitary chemotherapy. Int J Hyperthermia. 2007;23:431-42 pubmed..Much work needs to be done to identify a proper clinical perspective on hyperthermia used with chemotherapy in patients with peritoneal surface malignancy. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the management of gastrointestinal cancers with peritoneal metastases: Progress toward a new standard of care. Cancer Treat Rev. 2016;48:42-9 pubmed publisher..Cure of peritoneal metastases is an option in selected patients and its knowledgeable use is progressing towards a new standard of care. ..
- Sugarbaker P. When and When Not to Perform a Right Colon Resection with Mucinous Appendiceal Neoplasms. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017;24:729-732 pubmed publisher..0Â %) of positive lymph nodes in patients with low or moderately differentiated PMCA. With high-grade disease, lymph node invasion increased to 29.0Â %. Right colectomy is indicated in patients with high-grade PMCA. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Management of an inguinal hernia in patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1083-1087 pubmed publisher..Extraction of tumor and peritoneum from the inguinal canal facilitates fibrous closure of the hernia defect so that hernia recurrence was not observed. ..
- Sugarbaker P, Chang D. Long-term regional chemotherapy for patients with epithelial malignant peritoneal mesothelioma results in improved survival. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1228-1235 pubmed publisher..Long-term regional chemotherapy was associated with improved survival in patients with MPM. In this rare disease, additional phase 2 investigations are suggested. ..
- Gonzalez Moreno S, Sugarbaker P. Radical appendectomy as an alternative to right colon resection in patients with epithelial appendiceal neoplasms. Surg Oncol. 2017;26:86-90 pubmed publisher..When a malignancy exists as the cause of appendiceal pathology, the radical appendectomy will provide the maximal amount of information required for optimal decisions regarding patient management. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Peritoneal metastases invading the seminal vesicles: Radiologic appearance and outcome of treatment. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018;44:805-809 pubmed publisher..Resection of the seminal vesicles in a patient with invasion of these structures by peritoneal metastases is possible and should be considered in selected patients. This resection causes impotence but normal urination is to be expected. ..
- Sugarbaker P, Ryan D. Cytoreductive surgery plus hyperthermic perioperative chemotherapy to treat peritoneal metastases from colorectal cancer: standard of care or an experimental approach?. Lancet Oncol. 2012;13:e362-9 pubmed publisher..Whether randomised, controlled trials are needed to definitively show the magnitude of benefit, if any, of this approach is an important question. This Debate outlines the arguments on each side of this issue. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Surgical responsibilities in the management of peritoneal carcinomatosis. J Surg Oncol. 2010;101:713-24 pubmed publisher..Carcinomatosis can be prevented and can be successfully treated using cytoreductive surgery and perioperative chemotherapy. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Comprehensive management of peritoneal surface malignancy using cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: the Washington Cancer Institute approach. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009;10:1965-77 pubmed publisher..Multiple reports to date document marked survival benefits; a previously lethal condition can be cured in selected patients. Further pharmacologic research and more knowledgeable patient selection for treatment are required. ..
- Sugarbaker P, Stuart O, Yoo D. Strategies for management of the peritoneal surface component of cancer: cytoreductive surgery plus perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2005;11:111-9 pubmed
- Sardi A, Sipok A, Baratti D, Deraco M, Sugarbaker P, Salti G, et al. Multi-institutional study of peritoneal sarcomatosis from uterine sarcoma treated with cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..A multi-institutional review of PS from US was conducted to evaluate CRS and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) and effects on survival outcomes...
- Sugarbaker P, Verghese M, Yan T, Brun E. Management of mucinous urachal neoplasm presenting as pseudomyxoma peritonei. Tumori. 2008;94:732-6 pubmed..Mucinous neoplasms of the urachus are rare malignancies so that the physicians' index of suspicion for a timely and accurate diagnosis is low. Also, this disease may present with a wide variety of symptoms and signs...
- Sugarbaker P, Bijelic L. The porta hepatis as a site of recurrence of mucinous appendiceal neoplasms treated by cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Tumori. 2008;94:694-700 pubmed..The goal of this study was to investigate the porta hepatis as a site of recurrence of appendiceal mucinous neoplasms...
- Sugarbaker P, Yan T, Zappa L, Haveric N, Brun E. Thin-walled cysts as a pathognomonic CT finding in cystic mesothelioma. Tumori. 2008;94:14-8 pubmed..Cystic mesothelioma is a rare disease that results in abdominal distention and poorly defined abdominal pain. Diagnosis has always been made by tissue biopsy rather than by radiologic studies...
- ..The presence versus absence of lymph nodal metastases on survival have minimal significance (P = 0.0495). These results of treatment can be achieved with a 19% incidence of severe complications and a 2% mortality...
- Sugarbaker P, Alderman R, Edwards G, Marquardt C, Gushchin V, Esquivel J, et al. Prospective morbidity and mortality assessment of cytoreductive surgery plus perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy to treat peritoneal dissemination of appendiceal mucinous malignancy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006;13:635-44 pubmed..Patients with these diagnoses were treated by cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy...