Kevin T Stroupe
- Hemoglobin levels triggering erythropoiesis-stimulating agent therapy in patients with cancer: the shift after United States Food and Drug Administration policy changesKevin T Stroupe
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines, JR VA Hospital, 5000 South 5th Avenue 151H, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Pharmacotherapy 32:988-97. 2012....
- Cost-effectiveness of coronary artery bypass grafts versus percutaneous coronary intervention for revascularization of high-risk patientsKevin T Stroupe
Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Hines VA Hospital, PO Box 5000 151H, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Circulation 114:1251-7. 2006..The present study examined the cost-effectiveness of PCI versus CABG for these high-risk patients...
- Use of Medicare and DOD data for improving VA race data qualityKevin T Stroupe
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital 151H, 5000 South 5th Ave, Bldg 1B260, Hines, IL 60141 5151, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 47:781-95. 2010..More study is needed to understand poor rates of agreement between VA and external sources in identifying non-African-American minority individuals...
- Association of refill adherence and health care use among adults with hypertension in an urban health care systemKevin T Stroupe
Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Hines Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines 60141 5151, and the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pharmacotherapy 26:779-89. 2006..e., patients who have and have not, respectively, experienced hypertension-related target organ damage), and to examine the association of refill adherence with hospitalization and health care costs among these patients...
- Effect of increased copayments on pharmacy use in the Department of Veterans AffairsKevin T Stroupe
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Hines VA Hospital, 5000 South 5th Avenue, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Med Care 45:1090-7. 2007..We examined the impact of the copayment increase on medication acquisition from VA...
- Economic evaluation of blind rehabilitation for veterans with macular diseases in the Department of Veterans AffairsKevin T Stroupe
Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Edward Hines Jr Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, Illinois 60141, USA
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 15:84-91. 2008..We examined costs and consequences using veterans in LOVIT and comparable veterans in an inpatient BRC...
- Predialysis nephrology care and costs in elderly patients initiating dialysisKevin T Stroupe
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Hines VA Hospital, Hines, IL 60141 5151, USA
Med Care 49:248-56. 2011..Access to nephrology care before initiation of chronic dialysis is associated with improved outcomes after initiation. Less is known about the effect of predialysis nephrology care on healthcare costs and utilization...
- Tension-free repair versus watchful waiting for men with asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic inguinal hernias: a cost-effectiveness analysisKevin T Stroupe
Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital, 5th Avenue and Roosevelt Road, Hines, IL 60141, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:458-68. 2006..Although WW is likely to be less costly initially when compared with tension-free repair (TFR) because of the cost of the operation, it is not clear whether WW remains the least costly option when longer-term costs are considered...
- Trends in anemia management in lung and colon cancer patients in the US Department of Veterans Affairs, 2002-2008Elizabeth Tarlov
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines, JR VA Hospital, 5000 South 5th Ave 151H, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Support Care Cancer 20:1649-57. 2012..We examined ESA therapy in lung and colon cancer patients receiving chemotherapy in the VA from 2002 to 2008 to ascertain trends in and predictors of ESA use...
- Validation of erythropoietin use data on Medicare's End-Stage Renal Disease Medical Evidence ReportMichael J Fischer
Medicine Nephrology, Jesse Brown Department of Veterans Affairs VA Medical Center and University of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 47:751-62. 2010..Investigators should recognize these shortcomings and the introduction of possible bias in future research and reports...
- Comparing VA and private sector healthcare costs for end-stage renal diseaseDenise M Hynes
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines, Jr Veterans Affairs VA Hospital, Chicago, IL, USA
Med Care 50:161-70. 2012..Using a societal perspective, we examined healthcare costs and health outcomes for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) ESRD patients comparing those who received hemodialysis care at VA versus private sector facilities...
- Predialysis nephrology care among older veterans using Department of Veterans Affairs or Medicare-covered servicesMichael J Fischer
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines, Jr VA Medical Center, 5000 S 5th Ave 151H, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Am J Manag Care 16:e57-66. 2010..To examine the effect of exclusive and dual use of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Medicare healthcare systems on outpatient predialysis nephrology care...
- Adherence to guidelines for ESRD anemia managementDenise M Hynes
Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Edward Hines Jr Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 47:455-61. 2006..Because reimbursement for erythropoietin differs for federal versus private-sector dialysis centers, we hypothesized different use patterns by facility type...
- Measurement invariance of the kidney disease and quality of life instrument (KDQOL-SF) across veterans and non-veteransKaren L Saban
Center for Management of Chronic Complex Care, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital, Hines, IL, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 8:120. 2010..Therefore, the purpose of this study was to examine the measurement invariance of the KDQOL-SF across Veterans and non-Veterans with CKD...
- Patient satisfaction and use of Veterans Affairs versus non-Veterans Affairs healthcare services by veteransKevin T Stroupe
Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Hines VA Hospital, Hines, Illinois 60141, USA
Med Care 43:453-60. 2005..We examined whether patient satisfaction affected subsequent use of non-Veterans Affairs (VA) services among chronically ill veterans discharged from VA hospitals...
- Cost effectiveness of laparoscopic versus open mesh hernia operation: results of a Department of Veterans Affairs randomized clinical trialDenise M Hynes
Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital, PO Box 5000 (151-V, 5th Avenue and Roosevelt Road, Hines, IL 60141, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:447-57. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: Overall, laparoscopic hernia repair is not cost effective compared with open repair. For patients with unilateral (primary or recurrent) hernia, laparoscopic repair is a cost effective treatment option...
- Health care and medication costs and use among older adults with heart failureKevin T Stroupe
Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Hines VA Hospital, Illinois 60141 5151, USA
Am J Med 116:443-50. 2004..To target interventions effectively, it is important to understand the association of medication acquisition with health care utilization and costs...
- Outcomes associated with tiotropium use in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseTodd A Lee
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital, Hines, Illinois, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:1403-10. 2009..Our objective was to evaluate the comparative effectiveness of regimens containing tiotropium bromide vs other medication regimens for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in real-world clinical settings...
- Potential cost savings of erythropoietin administration in end-stage renal diseaseDenise M Hynes
Department of Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program Coordinating Center, Hines, Edward G Hines, JR VA Hospital, Illinois 60141, USA
Am J Med 112:169-75. 2002..For the transition to occur, consensus among stakeholders is needed, especially among patients whose treatment satisfaction and health-related quality of life would be most affected...
- Comparison of health-related quality of life measures for chronic renal failure: quality of well-being scale, short-form-6D, and the kidney disease quality of life instrumentKaren L Saban
Center for Management of Chronic Complex Care, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital, P O Box 5000 151H, Hines, IL, 60141, USA
Qual Life Res 17:1103-15. 2008....
- VA LOVIT II: a protocol to compare low vision rehabilitation and basic low visionJoan A Stelmack
Edward Hines, Jr Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, IL, USA
Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 32:461-71. 2012..To compare the effectiveness of low vision rehabilitation (LVR) and basic low vision (LV) in a single masked multicentre randomised controlled trial (RCT)...
- An evaluation of the Veterans Affairs traumatic brain injury screening process among Operation Enduring Freedom and/or Operation Iraqi Freedom veteransCharlesnika T Evans
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines Jr Veterans Affairs VA Hospital, Department of VA, Hines, IL 60141, USA
PM R 5:210-20; quiz 220. 2013..S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) screening program for traumatic brain injury (TBI) and to identify patient and facility characteristics associated with receiving a TBI screen and results of the screening...
- Increasing copayments and adherence to diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemic medicationsMatthew L Maciejewski
Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care 152, Durham VA Medical Center, 508 Fulton St, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Am J Manag Care 16:e20-34. 2010..To examine the impact of a medication copayment increase on adherence to diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemic medications...
- Outcomes following endovascular vs open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm: a randomized trialFrank A Lederle
Medicine Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
JAMA 302:1535-42. 2009..Limited data are available to assess whether endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) improves short-term outcomes compared with traditional open repair...
- Parkinson's disease medication use and costs following deep brain stimulationFrances M Weaver
Hines VA Hospital, Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Hines, Illinois 60141, USA
Mov Disord 27:1398-403. 2012..However, cumulative medication costs over 36 months were lower for the STN than for GPi patients. PD medication use and costs decreased following DBS in either target over 36 months, but cumulative costs were less for STN than for GPi...
- Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in patients with spinal cord injuries/disordersMichael J Fischer
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Am J Nephrol 36:542-8. 2012..Chronic kidney disease (CKD) and spinal cord injury and disorders (SCI/D) are common and costly conditions among Veterans. However, little is known about CKD among adults with SCI/D...
- Three surveillance strategies for vancomycin-resistant enterococci in hospitalized patients: detection of colonization efficiency and a cost-effectiveness modelTodd A Lee
Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Hines VA Hospital, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:39-46. 2005....
- Veterans Health Administration inpatient and outpatient care data: an overviewPatricia A Murphy
VA Information Resource Center, Health Services Research and Development Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, Edward Hines, Jr. Hospital, Hines, Ill 60141, USA
Eff Clin Pract 5:E4. 2002
- Methodology of an ongoing, randomized, controlled trial to improve drug use for elderly patients with chronic heart failureMichael D Murray
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Purdue University School of Pharmacy, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 2:53-65. 2004..However, patients may not adhere to therapy. Patients with complex medication regimens and low health literacy are at risk for nonadherence...
- Pharmacist intervention to improve medication adherence in heart failure: a randomized trialMichael D Murray
Center for Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy, University of North Carolina School of Pharmacy, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7360, USA
Ann Intern Med 146:714-25. 2007..Patients with heart failure who take several prescription medications sometimes have poor adherence to their treatment regimens. Few interventions designed to improve adherence to therapy have been rigorously tested...
- Using the Veterans Health Administration inpatient care database: trends in the use of antireflux surgerySamuel R G Finalyson
VA Outcomes Group, VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Eff Clin Pract 5:E5. 2002..Both patient and provider factors may explain the substantially higher use of this procedure in the private sector...