Anthony M Szema
Affiliation: Stony Brook University
- Respiratory symptoms necessitating spirometry among soldiers with Iraq/Afghanistan war lung injuryAnthony M Szema
Allergy Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, New York 11768, USA
J Occup Environ Med 53:961-5. 2011..We determined these rates in soldiers deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan versus troops stationed elsewhere...
- Angioedema in a child with a liver transplant, intussusception, and normal c4 levelsAnthony M Szema
Allergy Diagnostic Unit, Stony Brook University Medical Center, East Setauket, New York, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 31:e63-6. 2010..Rashes associated with angioedema are not urticarial. Physicians should learn to recognize the signs of attacks of HAE...
- Post 9/11: high asthma rates among children in Chinatown, New YorkAnthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, State University of New York SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8161, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 30:605-11. 2009..High air pollution levels may account for increased asthma incidence. It is possible that exposure to toxins on September 11, 2001 accentuated the effect of subsequent exposure to air pollution...
- New-onset asthma among soldiers serving in Iraq and AfghanistanAnthony M Szema
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, New York 11768, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 31:67-71. 2010..Deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan is associated with new-onset asthma. Etiologic studies, surveillance, incidence, epidemiology, and assessing response to therapy are recommended...
- Moderate pulmonary arterial hypertension in male mice lacking the vasoactive intestinal peptide geneSami I Said
Departments of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Circulation 115:1260-8. 2007..We have tested the hypothesis that targeted deletion of the VIP gene may lead to PAH with pulmonary vascular remodeling...
- VIP and endothelin receptor antagonist: an effective combination against experimental pulmonary arterial hypertensionSayyed A Hamidi
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY, USA
Respir Res 12:141. 2011..The objectives of this investigation were to answer the questions: 1) Can VIP protect against PH in other experimental models? and 2) Does combining VIP with an endothelin (ET) receptor antagonist bosentan enhance its efficacy?..
- Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide Knockout (VIP KO) mouse model of sulfite-sensitive asthma: up-regulation of novel lung carbonyl reductaseAnthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY, USA
BMC Immunol 12:66. 2011..For the present experiments, we examined the role of VIP in modulating anti-oxidant genes and their proteins, including lung carbonyl reductase...
- VIP Regulates the Development & Proliferation of Treg in vivo in spleenAnthony M Szema
Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, 100 Nicolls Road, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 7:19. 2011..abstract:..
- Mice lacking the VIP gene show airway hyperresponsiveness and airway inflammation, partially reversible by VIPAnthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY 11794 8172, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L880-6. 2006....
- Differences in physicians' self-reported knowledge of, attitudes toward, and responses to the black box warning on long-acting beta-agonistsJill P Karpel
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 103:304-10. 2009..Inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting beta-agonists (LABAs) are recommended for treating moderate to severe persistent asthma. The Food and Drug Administration has issued a black box warning (BBW) for LABAs...
- IgE antithyroid antibodies in patients with Hashimoto's disease and chronic urticariaLourdes B Concha
Division of Endocrinology, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794-8154, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 25:293-6. 2004..IgE anti-thyroid antibodies do not appear to play a causal role in urticaria in the majority of patients...
- Clinical deterioration in pediatric asthmatic patients after September 11, 2001Anthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8161, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 113:420-6. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Asthma severity worsened after September 11, 2001, in pediatric asthmatic patients living near Ground Zero. Residential proximity to Ground Zero was predictive of the degree of decrease in asthma health...