Anthony M Szema
Affiliation: Stony Brook University
- Mice lacking the VIP gene show airway hyperresponsiveness and airway inflammation, partially reversible by VIPAnthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY 11794 8172, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L880-6. 2006....
- Respiratory symptoms necessitating spirometry among soldiers with Iraq/Afghanistan war lung injuryAnthony M Szema
Allergy Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, New York 11768, USA
J Occup Environ Med 53:961-5. 2011..We determined these rates in soldiers deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan versus troops stationed elsewhere...
- Allergic reaction to mint leads to asthmaAnthony M Szema
State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York
Allergy Rhinol (Providence) 2:43-5. 2011..Additionally, this cases suggests that asthma can result from inhaling the scent of mint and gives consideration to obtaining confirmatory pre- and postexposure pulmonary function data by both impulse oscillometry and spirometry...
- Angioedema in a child with a liver transplant, intussusception, and normal c4 levelsAnthony M Szema
Allergy Diagnostic Unit, Stony Brook University Medical Center, East Setauket, New York, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 31:e63-6. 2010..Rashes associated with angioedema are not urticarial. Physicians should learn to recognize the signs of attacks of HAE...
- New-onset asthma among soldiers serving in Iraq and AfghanistanAnthony M Szema
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, New York 11768, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 31:67-71. 2010..Deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan is associated with new-onset asthma. Etiologic studies, surveillance, incidence, epidemiology, and assessing response to therapy are recommended...
- Post 9/11: high asthma rates among children in Chinatown, New YorkAnthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, State University of New York SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8161, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 30:605-11. 2009..High air pollution levels may account for increased asthma incidence. It is possible that exposure to toxins on September 11, 2001 accentuated the effect of subsequent exposure to air pollution...
- Moderate pulmonary arterial hypertension in male mice lacking the vasoactive intestinal peptide geneSami I Said
Departments of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Circulation 115:1260-8. 2007..We have tested the hypothesis that targeted deletion of the VIP gene may lead to PAH with pulmonary vascular remodeling...
- VIP and endothelin receptor antagonist: an effective combination against experimental pulmonary arterial hypertensionSayyed A Hamidi
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY, USA
Respir Res 12:141. 2011..The objectives of this investigation were to answer the questions: 1) Can VIP protect against PH in other experimental models? and 2) Does combining VIP with an endothelin (ET) receptor antagonist bosentan enhance its efficacy?..
- Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide Knockout (VIP KO) mouse model of sulfite-sensitive asthma: up-regulation of novel lung carbonyl reductaseAnthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY, USA
BMC Immunol 12:66. 2011..For the present experiments, we examined the role of VIP in modulating anti-oxidant genes and their proteins, including lung carbonyl reductase...
- VIP gene deletion in mice causes cardiomyopathy associated with upregulation of heart failure genesAnthony M Szema
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, New York, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e61449. 2013....
- VIP Regulates the Development & Proliferation of Treg in vivo in spleenAnthony M Szema
Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, 100 Nicolls Road, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 7:19. 2011..abstract:..
- Iraq dust is respirable, sharp, and metal-laden and induces lung inflammation with fibrosis in mice via IL-2 upregulation and depletion of regulatory T cellsAnthony M Szema
From the Departments of Medicine Drs Szema and Hamidi and Pathology Drs Liu and Golightly and Mr Rueb, Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY Department of Geosciences Dr Reeder and Ms Schmidt, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY and New York University Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine Dr Harrington, New York
J Occup Environ Med 56:243-51. 2014..Determine whether surface dust grab samples taken from a large military base in Iraq are toxic and respirable...
- Differences in physicians' self-reported knowledge of, attitudes toward, and responses to the black box warning on long-acting beta-agonistsJill P Karpel
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 103:304-10. 2009..Inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting beta-agonists (LABAs) are recommended for treating moderate to severe persistent asthma. The Food and Drug Administration has issued a black box warning (BBW) for LABAs...
- IgE antithyroid antibodies in patients with Hashimoto's disease and chronic urticariaLourdes B Concha
Division of Endocrinology, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 8154, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 25:293-6. 2004..IgE anti-thyroid antibodies do not appear to play a causal role in urticaria in the majority of patients...
- Clinical deterioration in pediatric asthmatic patients after September 11, 2001Anthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8161, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 113:420-6. 2004..Exposure to these substances might lead to an increase in asthma severity, with residential distance from Ground Zero predictive of the degree of change...