Genomes and Genes
J Craig Cohen
Affiliation: Stony Brook University
- CFTR and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in lung developmentJ Craig Cohen
The Brady Laboratory, Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Stony Brook University, School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York, USA
BMC Dev Biol 8:70. 2008..Adenoviruses containing full-length CFTR, a short anti-sense CFTR gene fragment, or a reporter gene as control were used in an intra-amniotic gene therapy procedure to transiently modify CFTR expression in the fetal lung...
- The Peter Pan paradigmJ Craig Cohen
The Brady Laboratory, Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Theor Biol Med Model 5:1. 2008..quot;You may delay, but time will not" Benjamin Franklin, USA Founding Father...
- Small interfering peptide (siP) for in vivo examination of the developing lung interactonomeJ Craig Cohen
The Brady Laboratory, Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Stony Brook University, School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
Dev Dyn 238:386-93. 2009..Physiologically, it was shown that siPs that interfered with the NOX-CFTR-CK2 complex that we call an "interactonome" affected markers of stretch-induced lung organogenesis including Wnt/beta-catenin signaling...
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) dependent cytoskeletal tension during lung organogenesisJ Craig Cohen
Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Stony Brook Health Sciences Center, Stony Brook, New York, USA
Dev Dyn 235:2736-48. 2006..Deficiency of CFTR altering lung development would contribute significantly to the Cystic Fibrosis disease phenotype...
- Adult onset lung disease following transient disruption of fetal stretch-induced differentiationJoseph J Hudak
The Brady Laboratory, Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Stony Brook University, School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York, 11794, USA
Respir Res 10:34. 2009..They illustrate how an adult onset disease can arise from subtle changes in gene expression during fetal development...
- Transient in utero disruption of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator causes phenotypic changes in alveolar type II cells in adult ratsAshraf Gad
The Brady Laboratory, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
BMC Cell Biol 10:24. 2009..In this study, we examined adult alveolar type II (ATII) cell phenotype after transient knock down of CFTR by adenovirus-directed in utero expression of ASCFTR in the fetal lung...
- Altered lung morphogenesis, epithelial cell differentiation and mechanics in mice deficient in the Wnt/β-catenin antagonist ChibbyDamon Love
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13600. 2010..Moreover, we demonstrate that Cby is a direct downstream target for the master ciliogenesis transcription factor Foxj1. Collectively, our results demonstrate that Cby facilitates proper postnatal lung development and function...
- Transient in utero nicotine exposure stimulates mechanosensory-dependent lung developmentShruti Gupta
Department of Pediatrics, Stonybrook University, Stonybrook, NY 11794, USA
Exp Lung Res 36:491-8. 2010..The increase in smooth muscle phosphorylation may stimulate stretch-induced lung organogenesis, which affects lung development and accelerates lung maturation in rats...
- Simulated transport alters surfactant homeostasis and causes dose-dependent changes in respiratory function in neonatal Sprague-Dawley ratsShetal Shah
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York, NY, USA
J Perinat Med 38:535-43. 2010..In this study, we sought to determine the relationship between the duration of transport and respiratory performance in the rat model...
- Improvement of pulmonary hypoplasia associated with congenital diaphragmatic hernia by in utero CFTR gene therapyJanet E Larson
Div of Neonatology, Dept of Pediatrics, T11 060, Stony Brook Univ Health Sciences Center, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8111, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L4-10. 2006..Lung development may be significantly delayed in human CDH to allow for successful gene transfer later in gestation, providing a substantial therapeutic window...
- Pathophysiologic consequences following inhibition of a CFTR-dependent developmental cascade in the lungJ Craig Cohen
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
BMC Dev Biol 5:2. 2005..A previously described transient in utero knockout (TIUKO) technology was used to address the developmental role of CFTR in the rat lung...
- "Lung impedance measurements are/are not more useful than simpler measurements of lung function in animal models of pulmonary disease"J Craig Cohen
J Appl Physiol 103:1905-8; author reply 1909-10. 2007
- Developmental paradigm for early features of cystic fibrosisJanet E Larson
Joint Laboratory of Molecular Therapeutics, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 40:371-7. 2005..Early changes in the CF lung are examined from a perspective of disrupted fetal development, explaining a number of paradoxes seen with the disease...
- The "Goldilocks effect" in cystic fibrosis: identification of a lung phenotype in the cftr knockout and heterozygous mouseJ Craig Cohen
Departments of Medicine and Physiology, Louisiana State University, School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, 70112 USA
BMC Genet 5:21. 2004..However, knockout in the mouse of cftr, the gene whose mutant alleles are responsible for cystic fibrosis, has previously failed to produce a readily, quantifiable lung phenotype...
- Transient in utero knockout (TIUKO) of C-MYC affects late lung and intestinal development in the mouseJ Craig Cohen
Department of Medicine, LSU School of Medicine, 533 Bolivar St, New Orleans, USA
BMC Dev Biol 4:4. 2004..In utero delivery of transgenes was shown previously to result in high efficiency transfer to pulmonary and intestinal epithelial stem cells. Thus, this technology can be used to evaluate late gestation development...
- In utero recombinant adeno-associated virus gene transfer in mice, rats, and primatesDeiadra J Garrett
Ochsner Children s Research Institute, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
BMC Biotechnol 3:16. 2003..Recombinant adenovirus associated viruses (rAAV) have the advantage of maintaining the viral genome in daughter cells thus providing for long-term expression of transgenes...
- Developmental changes in respiratory mechanics in the neonatal ratDavid Broussard
Department of Anesthesiology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Exp Lung Res 32:263-73. 2006..The respiratory function assessments coincide well with the classically described periods of lung growth. These studies provide a normal baseline for correlating changes in structural with respiratory function...