S I Said
Affiliation: State University of New York
- Pathways of inflammation and cell death in the lung: modulation by vasoactive intestinal peptideS I Said
University Medical Center at Stony Brook, and Northport VA Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Regul Pept 93:21-9. 2000..Finally, a hypothesis is presented for survival-promoting pathways that can be augmented by VIP and the related pituitary adenylyl cyclase-activating peptide...
- The discovery of VIP: initially looked for in the lung, isolated from intestine, and identified as a neuropeptideSami I Said
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine State University of New York, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Peptides 28:1620-1. 2007
- Enhancement of pulmonary vascular remodelling and inflammatory genes with VIP gene deletionS A Hamidi
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, State University of New York Health Sciences Center, Stony Brook, NY 11784 8172, USA
Eur Respir J 31:135-9. 2008..The present findings shed more light on the molecular mechanisms of pulmonary arterial hypertension, and could lead to better understanding of the pathogenesis of human pulmonary arterial hypertension, and hence to improved therapy...
- Asthma and pulmonary arterial hypertension: do they share a key mechanism of pathogenesis?S I Said
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Eur Respir J 35:730-4. 2010..Enough evidence exists to support the views that asthma and PAH share important pathological features, probably related to NFAT activation, and that VIP may be a physiological modulator of this mechanism...
- Glutamate toxicity in the lung and neuronal cells: prevention or attenuation by VIP and PACAPS I Said
V A Medical Center, Northport, New York, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 865:226-37. 1998..Both VIP and PACAP offer the promise of novel and nontoxic means of defending against NMDA and glutamate toxicity...
- Enhancement of systemic and pulmonary vasoconstriction by beta-amyloid peptides and its suppression by vasoactive intestinal peptideS I Said
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, New York, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 865:582-5. 1998..2) By neutralizing this deleterious effect of A beta, and through other neuroprotective mechanisms, VIP may provide an important defense against neuronal loss in AD...
- Clues to VIP function from knockout miceS A Hamidi
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, SUNY Health Sciences Center, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8172, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1070:5-9. 2006....
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide attenuates cytochrome c translocation, and apoptosis, in rat hippocampal stem cellsFrancis J Antonawich
Department of Neurology, HSC T12 020, S U N Y at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8121, USA
Neurosci Lett 325:151-4. 2002..VIP decreased this translocation of cytochrome c in a dose-dependent manner, and reduced apoptosis. This demonstrates that VIP regulates neuronal apoptosis and may contribute to stem cell homeostasis...
- Ionotropic glutamate receptors in lungs and airways: molecular basis for glutamate toxicityKathleen G Dickman
V A Medical Center, Northport, NY, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 30:139-44. 2004..These findings provide a molecular-biological basis for the excitotoxic actions of glutamate in rat lungs and airways, and raise the question of a possible physiologic role for NMDAR in lung and airway function...
- New evidence for transmitter role of VIP in the airways: impaired relaxation by a catalytic antibodyH I Berisha
State University of New York at Stony Brook, N Y 11794 8172, Medical Center, Northport, NY 11768, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 15:121-7. 2002..The findings support a role for VIP as a major mediator of neurogenic relaxation of guinea pig tracheal smooth muscle. Lack of complete abrogation of relaxation is consistent with a co-transmitter role for NO...
- Mice lacking the VIP gene show airway hyperresponsiveness and airway inflammation, partially reversible by VIPAnthony M Szema
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY 11794 8172, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L880-6. 2006....
- Moderate pulmonary arterial hypertension in male mice lacking the vasoactive intestinal peptide geneSami I Said
Departments of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Circulation 115:1260-8. 2007..We have tested the hypothesis that targeted deletion of the VIP gene may lead to PAH with pulmonary vascular remodeling...
- Nitric oxide and vasoactive intestinal peptide as co-transmitters of airway smooth-muscle relaxation: analysis in neuronal nitric oxide synthase knockout miceNadia A Hasaneen
Medical Service and Research Service, VA Medical Center, Northport, NY, USA
Chest 124:1067-72. 2003..The availability of neuronal NO synthase (nNOS) knockout mice (nNOS-/-) provides a unique opportunity for evaluating NO...