Affiliation: Stanford University
- Estrogenic protection against gp120 neurotoxicity: role of microgliaIlona Zemlyak
Department of Biological Sciences, Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University, CA 94305 5020, USA
Brain Res 1046:130-6. 2005....
- Gene therapy in the nervous system with superoxide dismutaseIlona Zemlyak
Dept of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, Gilbert Lab, MC 5020, Stanford, CA 94305 5020, USA
Brain Res 1088:12-8. 2006..These studies can be viewed as a cautionary note concerning gene therapy intervention against necrotic insults...
- Evidence for caspase effects on release of cytochrome c and AIF in a model of ischemia in cortical neuronsManeesh H Singh
Department of Biological Sciences, and Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University, 371 Serra Street, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Neurosci Lett 469:179-83. 2010..In addition, both crmA overexpression and DEVD inhibited cyt c release, suggesting a positive feedback loop involving activated caspases stimulating cyt c release...
- Effects of overexpression of antioxidants on the release of cytochrome c and apoptosis-inducing factor in the model of ischemiaIlona Zemlyak
Department Biological Sciences, 371 Serra Street, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, United States
Neurosci Lett 453:182-5. 2009..Arguing against this, overexpression of the same antioxidants did not inhibit cytochrome c release. These findings suggest a specific interaction between ROS formation and the caspase-independent route of apoptosis...
- Protection against gp120-induced neurotoxicity by an array of estrogenic steroidsIlona Zemlyak
Department of Biological Sciences, Gilbert Laboratory MC 5020, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5020, USA
Brain Res 958:272-6. 2002..These findings give insight both into the mechanisms of estrogenic protection (e.g. receptor-dependent versus independent actions) as well as into the potential therapeutic use of estrogens against AIDS-related dementia complex...
- NAP protects hippocampal neurons against multiple toxinsIlona Zemlyak
Department of Human Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Peptides 28:2004-8. 2007..In summary, we have significantly expanded previous findings in demonstrating here direct neuroprotective effects for NAP on vital hippocampal neurons that are key participants in cognitive function in vivo...