Affiliation: Stanford University
- The role of hypocretins (orexins) in sleep regulation and narcolepsyShahrad Taheri
Stanford University Center for Narcolepsy, 701 Welch Road B, Basement, Palo Alto, California 94304 5742, USA
Annu Rev Neurosci 25:283-313. 2002..The aim of this review is to describe and discuss the current knowledge regarding the hypocretin neurotransmitter system in narcolepsy and normal sleep...
- Sleeping with the hypothalamus: emerging therapeutic targets for sleep disordersEmmanuel Mignot
Stanford University Center for Narcolepsy, 701 Welch Road B, Room 145, Palo Alto, California 94304 5742, USA
Nat Neurosci 5:1071-5. 2002..Here we highlight the role of the hypothalamus in sleep physiology and discuss neurotransmitter systems, such as adenosine, dopamine, GABA, histamine and hypocretin, that may have therapeutic applications for sleep disorders...
- The genetics of sleep disordersShahrad Taheri
Stanford University Center for Narcolepsy, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5742, USA
Lancet Neurol 1:242-50. 2002..The aim of this review is to discuss the current knowledge on the role of genetic factors in sleep disorders, in particular circadian disorders, narcolepsy, restless-legs syndrome, and OSAS...
- Short sleep duration is associated with reduced leptin, elevated ghrelin, and increased body mass indexShahrad Taheri
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, USA
PLoS Med 1:e62. 2004..An association between short habitual sleep time and increased body mass index (BMI) has been reported in large population samples. The potential role of metabolic hormones in this association is unknown...
- The orexins/hypocretins: hypothalamic peptides linked to sleep and appetiteShahrad Taheri
Psychol Med 32:955-8. 2002
- The genetics of narcolepsyDorothee Chabas
Federation de Neurologie, Batiment Paul Castaigne, Hopital Salpetriere, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75 013 Paris, France
Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 4:459-83. 2003..It is anticipated that susceptibility genes that are independent of HLA and impinge on the hypocretin neurotransmitter system are isolated in human narcolepsy...
- Report of a case of immunosuppression with prednisone in an 8-year-old boy with an acute onset of hypocretin-deficiency narcolepsyMarketa Hecht
Center for Narcolepsy, Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif, USA
Sleep 26:809-10. 2003..To explore whether acute destruction of hypocretin cells in a patient with narcolepsy could be detected and if the course of the disease could be reversed or altered by the use of prednisone for immunosuppression...
- The effects of centrally administered apelin-13 on food intake, water intake and pituitary hormone release in ratsShahrad Taheri
Endocrine Unit, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291:1208-12. 2002..These results suggest that apelin may play an important role in the hypothalamic regulation of water intake and endocrine axes...