B R Sommer
Affiliation: Stanford University
- Safety of antidepressants in the elderlyBarbara R Sommer
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5723, USA
Expert Opin Drug Saf 2:367-83. 2003..Drug interactions, side effects and particular challenges to the older patient will be described. The authors will then advise a general strategy for prescribing antidepressants...
- Safety and efficacy of anticonvulsants in elderly patients with psychiatric disorders: oxcarbazepine, topiramate and gabapentinBarbara R Sommer
Stanford University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Stanford, CA 94305 5723, USA
Expert Opin Drug Saf 6:133-45. 2007..5-10.5 h, may cause ataxia. Oxcarbazapine, hepatically reduced, may cause hyponatremia, and topiramate may cause significant cognitive impairment. Nonetheless, these are important medications to consider in the treatment of agitation...
- Review of topiramate for the treatment of epilepsy in elderly patientsB R Sommer
Department of Psychiatry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5723, USA
Clin Interv Aging 5:89-99. 2010..Most studies find specific declines in working memory and verbal fluency. In conclusion, we give recommendations for use of this antiepileptic drug in this population...
- Comparison of desipramine and cognitive/behavioral therapy in the treatment of elderly outpatients with mild-to-moderate depressionL W Thompson
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, CA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 9:225-40. 2001..The results indicate that psychotherapy can be an effective treatment for older adult outpatients with moderate levels of depression...
- Folic acid supplementation in dementia: a preliminary reportBarbara R Sommer
Stanford University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford, CA 94305 5723, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 16:156-9. 2003..The folic acid in very high doses was well tolerated. Larger studies are necessary before empirically administering folic acid to patients already suffering from dementia...
- Safety and tolerability of mood-stabilising anticonvulsants in the elderlyHoward H Fenn
Menlo Park Division, Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
Expert Opin Drug Saf 5:401-16. 2006..Guidelines are offered for the safe use of these medications in the elderly, based on research literature...
- The effect of oxybutynin treatment on cognition in children with diurnal incontinenceBarbara R Sommer
Department of Psychiatry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
J Urol 173:2125-7. 2005..The impact of this drug on cognitive functioning in the pediatric population is unknown. We report the results of a study designed to assess the effect of oxybutynin on cognitive function in children...
- Role of psychiatric comorbidity on cognitive function during and after the menopausal transitionJeanne Leventhal Alexander
Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Psychiatry Women s Health Program, Oakland, CA, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 7:S157-80. 2007..Evaluation and treatment strategies for the symptomatic menopausal woman distressed by changes in her day-to-day cognitive function with or without psychiatric comorbidity are presented...