Affiliation: Stanford University School of Medicine
- Sentinel lymph node technique for breast cancer: radiation safety issuesMartin Law
Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital
Semin Oncol 31:298-303. 2004....
- Chrysomya bezziana: a rare infestation of the breastAva Kwong
Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Breast J 13:297-301. 2007
- Characterization of the pathogenic mechanism of a novel BRCA2 variant in a Chinese familyAva Kwong
Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Fam Cancer 7:125-33. 2008..We report the identification of a novel BRCA2 variant (c.7806-9T > G) in a Chinese family with multiple breast cancers and document it as a pathogenic mutation...
- The acceptance and feasibility of breast cancer screening in the EastAva Kwong
Breast Care Centre, Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Breast 17:42-50. 2008..3 per 1000 screens and a recall rate of 9.2% were found. Despite culture differences and differences in breast characteristics (denser and smaller breasts), breast screening is feasible and acceptable in the East...
- Factors affecting false-negative breast sentinel node biopsy in Chinese patientsKenneth S H Chok
Division of Breast Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
ANZ J Surg 77:866-9. 2007..The objective of the research was to validate our results on sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) and to determine factors affecting false-negative (FN) rates of SLNB in Chinese patients with invasive breast cancers...
- Mammographic screening in women at increased risk of breast cancer after treatment of Hodgkin's diseaseAva Kwong
Department of Radiology, Standford Unviersity School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Breast J 14:39-48. 2008..However, early mammographic screening facilitated diagnosis of in situ and early invasive cancer in 3.5% of our subjects...
- Circulating microRNAs as specific biomarkers for breast cancer detectionEnders K O Ng
Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
PLoS ONE 8:e53141. 2013..We previously showed microRNAs (miRNAs) in plasma are potential biomarkers for colorectal cancer detection. Here, we aimed to develop specific blood-based miRNA assay for breast cancer detection...
- Breast cancer risk factors differ between Asian and white women with BRCA1/2 mutationsMonique A de Bruin
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Fam Cancer 11:429-39. 2012..Further investigation of racial differences in BRCA1/2 mutation epidemiology could inform targeted cancer risk-reduction strategies...
- Triple negative status is a poor prognostic indicator in Chinese women with breast cancer: a ten year reviewK K Ma
Division of Breast Surgery, Department of Surgery, Queen Mary and Tung Wah Hospital, Happy Valley, Hong Kong, China
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 13:2109-14. 2012..We studied the tumor characteristics and factors which may influence the presentation and prognosis of triple negative breast cancers (TNC) in a cohort of Chinese women...
- Interpreting differences in patterns of supportive care needs between patients with breast cancer and patients with colorectal cancerWylie W Y Li
Centre for Psycho Oncology Research and Training, School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Psychooncology 22:792-8. 2013..We therefore examined the prevalence of supportive care needs in Chinese breast (BC) and colorectal cancer (CRC) patients to identify prevalence and correlates of unmet needs...
- Accuracy of BRCA1/2 mutation prediction models for different ethnicities and genders: experience in a southern Chinese cohortAva Kwong
Division of Breast Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
World J Surg 36:702-13. 2012..Results are conflicting in Asian populations. Most studies did not account for gender-specific prediction. We evaluated the performance of these models in a Chinese cohort, including males, before BRCA1/2 mutation testing...
- Breast cancer in Hong Kong, Southern China: the first population-based analysis of epidemiological characteristics, stage-specific, cancer-specific, and disease-free survival in breast cancer patients: 1997-2001Ava Kwong
Division of Breast Surgery, Department of Surgery, Queen Mary and Tung Wah Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Ann Surg Oncol 18:3072-8. 2011..This is the first comprehensive population-based breast cancer study performed using population database of the Hong Kong Cancer Registry...
- Breast cancer in Chinese women younger than age 40: are they different from their older counterparts?Ava Kwong
Breast Care Center, Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital, Happy Valley, Hong Kong, China
World J Surg 32:2554-61. 2008..This study is the first to report the tumor characteristics and management of breast cancer in Chinese women younger than age 40 and a comparison with their older counterparts...
- Is sentinel lymph node biopsy after neoadjuvant chemotherapy feasible in Chinese patients with invasive breast cancers?Tanfo T Cheung
Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
ANZ J Surg 79:719-23. 2009..This study aimed to be the first to evaluate the feasibility and accuracy of SLNB after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in Chinese patients with breast cancer...
- Breast-conserving surgery in Hong Kong Chinese womenDacita Suen
Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
World J Surg 32:2549-53. 2008..This study aimed to review the rate of BCS in Hong Kong Chinese breast cancer patients and the possible clinicopathologic and psychosocial factors that may have affected the choice of surgery...
- Choice of management of southern Chinese BRCA mutation carriersAva Kwong
Division of Breast Surgery, The University of Hong Kong Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
World J Surg 34:1416-26. 2010..Families carrying the mutation can have intensive surveillance and take preventative measures. This is the first report on the uptake of such interventions in Chinese mutation carriers residing in Asia...
- Development and pilot-testing of a Decision Aid for use among Chinese women facing breast cancer surgeryAngel H Y Au
Centre for Psycho oncological Research and Training, School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Health Expect 14:405-16. 2011..Decision Aids (DAs) may facilitate TDM, but there are no DAs designed for Chinese populations. We developed a DA for Chinese women newly diagnosed with breast cancer, for use during the initial surgical consultation...
- Localization of hRad9 in breast cancerVivian Chan
University Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
BMC Cancer 8:196. 2008..We have previously shown that the mRNA up-regulation correlated with tumor size and local recurrence. Immunohistochemical studies were made to better define the role of hRad9 in breast carcinogenesis...
- Ovarian cancer susceptibility alleles and risk of ovarian cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriersSusan J Ramus
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, California, USA
Hum Mutat 33:690-702. 2012..The identification of multiple loci modifying ovarian cancer risk may be useful for counseling women with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations regarding their risk of ovarian cancer...
- Integrating molecular mechanisms and clinical evidence in the management of trastuzumab resistant or refractory HER-2⁺ metastatic breast cancerHilda Wong
Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Oncologist 16:1535-46. 2011..The identification of predictive biomarkers is of paramount importance to optimize health economic costs and enhance stratification of anti-HER-2 targeted therapies...
- Work-life balance of female versus male surgeons in Hong Kong based on findings of a questionnaire designed by a Japanese surgeonAva Kwong
Division of Breast Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Surg Today 44:62-72. 2014..We evaluated the attitudes of female and male surgeons in Hong Kong to work, personal life, and work-life balance, through a questionnaire survey...
- Quantitative analysis and diagnostic significance of methylated SLC19A3 DNA in the plasma of breast and gastric cancer patientsEnders K O Ng
Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e22233. 2011..Here, we aim to develop a new biomarker for cancer diagnosis using methylated SLC19A3 DNA in plasma...
- Telephone pre-anaesthesia assessment for ambulatory breast surgeryT T Law
Division of Breast Surgery, Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Tung Wah Hospital, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 15:179-82. 2009..To review the efficacy of telephone preoperative anaesthesia assessment in patients undergoing ambulatory breast surgery...