Jaimie M Henderson
Affiliation: Stanford University
- "Connectomic surgery": diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) tractography as a targeting modality for surgical modulation of neural networksJaimie M Henderson
Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford CA, USA
Front Integr Neurosci 6:15. 2012..This brief review examines the current state of brain imaging for visualization of these networks and describes how DBS might be used to restore normal connectivity in pathological states...
- Fluoroscopic registration and localization for image-guided cranial neurosurgical procedures: a feasibility studyJaimie M Henderson
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 86:271-7. 2008..We also evaluated the accuracy of landmark placement in the fluoroscopic images using the navigational capability of the software...
- Optogenetic neuromodulationJaimie M Henderson
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Neurosurgery 64:796-804; discussion 804. 2009..We briefly review this new technology, illustrating its advantages and potential applications...
- Peripheral nerve stimulation for chronic painJaimie M Henderson
Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Edwards Building R 227, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 12:28-31. 2008..This article reviews the history, development, and current areas of interest in peripheral nerve stimulation for the treatment of neuropathic pain...
- Motor cortex stimulation and neuropathic facial painJaimie M Henderson
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Neurosurg Focus 21:E6. 2006..It is important to evaluate MCS critically in a prospective, controlled fashion...
- The application accuracy of a skull-mounted trajectory guide system for image-guided functional neurosurgeryJaimie M Henderson
Center for Functional and Restorative Neuroscience, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Comput Aided Surg 9:155-60. 2004..We evaluated the application accuracy of a skull-mounted trajectory guide coupled to an optical image-guided surgery system in a laboratory setting...
- Frameless localization for functional neurosurgical procedures: a preliminary accuracy studyJaimie M Henderson
St Louis University, St Louis, MO, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 82:135-41. 2004..As an initial step toward a fully frameless approach to functional surgery, we have investigated the use of an image-guided microdrive coupled to a stereotactic frame system...
- Recovery of pain control by intensive reprogramming after loss of benefit from motor cortex stimulation for neuropathic painJaimie M Henderson
Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 82:207-13. 2004..We investigated whether intensive reprogramming could recapture the beneficial effects of MCS...
- Bilateral symmetry and coherence of subthalamic nuclei beta band activity in Parkinson's diseaseCamille de Solages
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University, CA, USA
Exp Neurol 221:260-6. 2010..001) and are coherent between the two STNs of individual PD subjects (11/12 cases, p<0.05). These findings suggest the existence of a bilateral network controlling the beta band activity in the basal ganglia in PD...
- Probabilistic analysis of activation volumes generated during deep brain stimulationChristopher R Butson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Neuroimage 54:2096-104. 2011..The results suggest that selection of both electrode placement and clinical stimulation parameter settings could be tailored to the patient's primary symptoms using patient-specific models and PSAs...
- Frameless stereotaxy using bone fiducial markers for deep brain stimulationKathryn L Holloway
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Virginia Hospital of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
J Neurosurg 103:404-13. 2005..The present study was conducted to evaluate the accuracy of a frameless system in routine clinical use...
- Hand posture classification using electrocorticography signals in the gamma band over human sensorimotor brain areasCynthia A Chestek
Stanford Institute for Neuroinnovation and Translational Neuroscience, W100 A, James H Clark Center, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5436, USA
J Neural Eng 10:026002. 2013..We sought to determine if electrocorticographic (ECoG) signals contain sufficient information to select among multiple hand postures for a prosthetic hand, orthotic, or functional electrical stimulation system...
- Maximal subthalamic beta hypersynchrony of the local field potential in Parkinson's disease is located in the central region of the nucleusCamille de Solages
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, CA 94305 5327, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 82:1387-9. 2011....
- Predicting the effects of deep brain stimulation with diffusion tensor based electric field modelsChristopher R Butson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:429-37. 2006..In turn, the 3D tissue electrical properties of the brain play an important role in regulating the spread of neural activation generated by DBS...
- Permanent neurological deficit related to magnetic resonance imaging in a patient with implanted deep brain stimulation electrodes for Parkinson's disease: case reportJaimie M Henderson
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Neurosurgery 57:E1063; discussion E1063. 2005....
- Long-term outcomes of spinal cord stimulation with paddle leads in the treatment of complex regional pain syndrome and failed back surgery syndromeNathaniel C Sears
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Neuromodulation 14:312-8; discussion 318. 2011..Numerical rating scales such as the NRS-11 remain the most common outcome measure in the literature, although they may not accurately correlate with quality of life improvements and overall satisfaction...
- The STN beta-band profile in Parkinson's disease is stationary and shows prolonged attenuation after deep brain stimulationHelen Bronte-Stewart
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University, CA 94305 5327, USA
Exp Neurol 215:20-8. 2009..The finding that longer periods of DBS attenuated beta power for a longer time suggests that there may be long-acting functional changes to networks in the STN in PD after chronic DBS...
- Clinical motor outcome of bilateral subthalamic nucleus deep-brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease using image-guided frameless stereotaxyHelen Bronte-Stewart
Departments of Neurology and Neurological Sciences and of Neurosurgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 5327, USA
Neurosurgery 67:1088-93; discussion 1093. 2010..Despite the demonstration of comparable accuracy between frame-based and "frameless" image-guided approaches, the clinical efficacy of frameless DBS placement has never been reported...
- Failure modes of spinal cord stimulation hardwareJoshua M Rosenow
Department of Neurosurgery, Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 5:183-90. 2006..The failure modes of the implanted hardware, however, have not been well studied. A better understanding of this could aid in improving the current procedure or designing future devices...
- A Socioeconomic Survey of Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS) SurgeryShivanand P Lad
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA and Outcomes Research Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Neuromodulation 13:265-9. 2010..Future studies should be designed with these important outcome measures in mind...
- High frequency deep brain stimulation attenuates subthalamic and cortical rhythms in Parkinson's diseaseDiane Whitmer
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford CA, USA
Front Hum Neurosci 6:155. 2012..The spatially-specific suppression of beta synchrony in the motor cortex support the hypothesis that DBS may treat Parkinsonism by reducing excessive synchrony in the functionally connected sensorimotor network...
- Anatomy and physiology of chronic painJoshua M Rosenow
Section of Functional and Stereotactic Neurosurgery, S31, Department of Neurosurgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Neurosurg Clin N Am 14:445-62, vii. 2003..This article presents the anatomy and physiology of the pain system along with the neurobiologic changes that occur in the establishment and maintenance of chronic pain states...
- Optical deconstruction of parkinsonian neural circuitryViviana Gradinaru
Department of Bioengineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 324:354-9. 2009....
- Socioeconomic Trends in Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) SurgeryShivanand P Lad
Outcomes Research Laboratory, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA and Department of Neurology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Neuromodulation 13:182-6. 2010..Conclusions: Future studies will need to include the socioeconomic impact of the technology on disease status, patient access, and costs as it expands to novel indications...
- A preliminary study of transient confusional states following bilateral subthalamic stimulation for Parkinson's diseaseJulie G Pilitsis
Department of Neurosurgery, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 83:67-70. 2005..We provide preliminary evidence that patients with depression and frontal-subcortical dysfunction are more likely to develop POC, and that POC is more often associated with cognitive decline following surgery...
- Deep brain stimulation surgical techniquesFahd R Khan
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Handb Clin Neurol 116:27-37. 2013..This chapter reviews the underlying principles of stereotactic surgery, including imaging, targeting, and registration, and describes the surgical approach to DBS placement using both framed and frameless techniques. ..
- Optogenetic neuromodulationPaul S A Kalanithi
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Int Rev Neurobiol 107:185-205. 2012..Translational efforts have begun in primates, with success reported from multiple labs in rhesus macaques. These developments will remain of ongoing interest to neurologists and neurosurgeons...
- Challenges and opportunities for next-generation intracortically based neural prosthesesVikash Gilja
Department of Computer Science and SINTN, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 58:1891-9. 2011..If these challenges can be largely or fully met, intracortically based neural prostheses may achieve true clinical viability and help increasing numbers of disabled patients...
- Vagal nerve stimulation versus deep brain stimulation for treatment-resistant depression: show me the dataJaimie M Henderson
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
Clin Neurosurg 54:88-90. 2007
- Intracranial hypotension from intrathecal baclofen pump insertion. A case report and review of the literatureShivanand P Lad
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 86:75-9. 2008..In this report, we present a case of intracranial hypotension secondary to baclofen pump placement. We review the major clinical findings, neuroimaging abnormalities, key diagnostic features as well as treatment options...
- Patient-specific analysis of the volume of tissue activated during deep brain stimulationChristopher R Butson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Neuroimage 34:661-70. 2007....
- Venous air embolism during deep brain stimulation surgery in an awake supine patientAnupa Deogaonkar
Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 83:32-5. 2005..The difference in clinical presentation between VAE in awake vs. anesthetized patients is discussed as are intraoperative monitoring techniques and management options...
- Cyberknife targeting the pterygopalatine ganglion for the treatment of chronic cluster headachesShivanand P Lad
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Neurosurgery 60:E580-1; discussioin E581. 2007..We evaluated the treatment of medically refractory CH with CyberKnife (Accuray, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA) stereotactic radiosurgery targeting the pterygopalatine ganglion...
- Neuroaugmentation for chronic pain. PrefaceJaimie M Henderson
Neurosurg Clin N Am 14:ix-x. 2003