Affiliation: Stanford University
- Gender and use of care: planning for tomorrow's Veterans Health AdministrationSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:1188-99. 2007..With more women entering the system, a systematic assessment of their healthcare use and costs of care is needed. We examined how utilization and costs of VHA care differ in women veterans compared with men veterans...
- Gender disparities in Veterans Health Administration care: importance of accounting for veteran statusSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, 795 Willow Road 152 MPD, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
Med Care 46:549-53. 2008..Historically, such appraisals have often relied on secondary databases, with little attention to methodological implications of the fact that VHA provides care to some nonveteran patients...
- Using administrative data to identify mental illness: what approach is best?Susan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, 795 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Am J Med Qual 25:42-50. 2010..When using administrative data in mental health studies, researchers should consider the nature of their research question in choosing algorithms for MHC identification...
- Health status among 28,000 women veterans. The VA Women's Health Program Evaluation ProjectSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S40-6. 2006..Male veterans receiving Veterans Health Administration (VA) care have worse health than men in the general population. Less is known about health status in women veteran VA patients, a rapidly growing population...
- Medical care needs of returning veterans with PTSD: their other burdenSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, 795 Willow Road 152 MPD, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:33-9. 2011....
- Effect of patient gender on late-life depression managementSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Healthcare System, and Stanford University, Palo Alto, California 94025, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 13:919-25. 2004..To determine whether patient gender influences physicians' management of late-life major depression in older and younger elderly patients...
- Burden of medical illness in women with depression and posttraumatic stress disorderSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, Calif, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:1306-12. 2004..Depression is known to be associated with poor physical health; however, associations between physical health and PTSD, a common comorbidity of depression, have received less attention...
- Depression management in medical clinics: does healthcare sector make a difference?Susan M Frayne
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston University, Boston, Mass, USA
Am J Med Qual 19:28-36. 2004..Access to mental health services may prove valuable in the campaign to increase physician adherence to depression clinical guidelines...
- Mental illness-related disparities in length of stay: algorithm choice influences resultsSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, Department of Veterans Affairs VA Palo Alto Health Care System, 795 Willow Road 152 MPD, Palo Alto, CA 94025, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 47:709-18. 2010..001), for the most refined algorithm. Researchers can improve the quality of data applied to VHA systems redesign by applying methodological considerations raised by this study to inform LOS algorithm choice...
- The Veterans Health Administration and military sexual traumaRachel Kimerling
Veterans Administration Health Care System, Palo Alto, Calif, USA
Am J Public Health 97:2160-6. 2007..We examined the utility of the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) universal screening program for military sexual violence...
- Military-related sexual trauma among Veterans Health Administration patients returning from Afghanistan and IraqRachel Kimerling
National Center for PTSD, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Am J Public Health 100:1409-12. 2010..Sexual trauma is an important postdeployment mental health issue in this population...
- Differences and trends in stroke prevention anticoagulation in primary care vs cardiology specialty management of new atrial fibrillation: The Retrospective Evaluation and Assessment of Therapies in AF (TREAT-AF) studyMintu P Turakhia
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Am Heart J 165:93-101.e1. 2013..Atrial fibrillation and flutter (AF, collectively) cause stroke. We evaluated whether treating specialty influences warfarin prescription in patients with newly diagnosed AF...
- Violence perpetration and childhood abuse among men and women in substance abuse treatmentMandi L Burnette
Sierra Pacific Mental Illness, Research, Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 35:217-22. 2008..Findings highlight the need for increased screening and treatment of violence perpetration among patients with SUD and suggest that CSA may be an important correlate of violence perpetration among women...
- Sexual violence, posttraumatic stress disorder, and the pelvic examination: how do beliefs about the safety, necessity, and utility of the examination influence patient experiences?Julie C Weitlauf
Center for Health Care Evaluation, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California 94025, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 19:1271-80. 2010..Efforts to more fully characterize these reactions and identify core factors (i.e., beliefs about the examination) that may influence these reactions are warranted...
- Prevalence and health correlates of prostitution among patients entering treatment for substance use disordersMandi L Burnette
Sierra Pacific Mental Illness Research and Education Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:337-44. 2008..In particular, the study of prostitution among individuals in substance use treatment would improve efforts to provide comprehensive treatment...
- Distress and pain during pelvic examinations: effect of sexual violenceJulie C Weitlauf
Center for Health Care Evaluation, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Obstet Gynecol 112:1343-50. 2008....
- Sexual assault while in the military: violence as a predictor of cardiac risk?Susan M Frayne
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA, USA
Violence Vict 18:219-25. 2003..An association between myocardial infarction and prior sexual assault history may be mediated in part by known cardiac risk factors...
- Mental illness and warfarin use in atrial fibrillationGraham A Walker
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA 94025, USA
Am J Manag Care 17:617-24. 2011....
- Conceptual bases of Christian, faith-based substance abuse rehabilitation programs: qualitative analysis of staff interviewsLisa K McCoy
Section of General Internal Medicine, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Subst Abus 25:1-11. 2004..Knowledge of these core concepts and practices should be helpful to clinicians in considering referrals to faith-based recovery programs...
- Racial/ethnic differences in diabetes care for older veterans: accounting for dual health system use changes conclusionsJewell H Halanych
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Bedford VA Hospital, Bedford, Massachusetts, USA
Med Care 44:439-45. 2006..Veterans Health Administration (VHA) databases are used extensively to study racial/ethnic disparities; however, these databases may not capture all care received by VHA patients...
- Disparities in diabetes care: impact of mental illnessSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:2631-8. 2005..Diabetes serves as a useful condition in which to test for MHC-related disparities in care. We examined whether quality measures for diabetes care are worse for patients with or without MHCs...
- Health status among women with menstrual symptomsKaren Barnard
VA Medical Center, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 12:911-9. 2003..We sought to determine the prevalence of menstrual symptoms and the degree to which these symptoms affect health status...
- Toward a VA Women's Health Research Agenda: setting evidence-based priorities to improve the health and health care of women veteransElizabeth M Yano
HSR and D Center of Excellence, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Sepulveda, CA 91343, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S93-101. 2006..This paper summarizes the process and outcomes of this effort, outlining VA's research priorities for biomedical, clinical, rehabilitation, and health services research...
- Barriers to Diabetes Care and Mental IllnessSusan Frayne; Fiscal Year: 2007..Over the longer term, they will inform the next generation of translational research, which will test interventions designed to optimize diabetes care for patients with mental illness. ..