Affiliation: Stanford University
- The effect of tobacco control measures during a period of rising cardiovascular disease risk in India: a mathematical model of myocardial infarction and strokeSanjay Basu
Prevention Research Center, Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 10:e1001480. 2013..We simulated tobacco control and pharmacological strategies for preventing cardiovascular deaths in India, the country that is expected to experience more cardiovascular deaths than any other over the next decade...
- Social epidemiology of hypertension in middle-income countries: determinants of prevalence, diagnosis, treatment, and control in the WHO SAGE studySanjay Basu
Prevention Research Center, Centers for Health Policy, Primary Care, and Outcomes Research, Center on Poverty and Inequality, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Hypertension 62:18-26. 2013..Overall, the social epidemiology of hypertension in middle-income countries seems to be correlated to increasing obesity prevalence, and hypertension control rates are particularly low for adult men across distinct cultures...
- The relationship of sugar to population-level diabetes prevalence: an econometric analysis of repeated cross-sectional dataSanjay Basu
Stanford Prevention Research Center, Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e57873. 2013..Differences in sugar availability statistically explain variations in diabetes prevalence rates at a population level that are not explained by physical activity, overweight or obesity...
- Dietary salt reduction and cardiovascular disease rates in India: a mathematical modelSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, Stanford Prevention Research Center, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e44037. 2012..We sought to determine whether salt reductions would be beneficial or feasible, given the worry that unrealistically large reductions would be required, worsening iodine deficiency and benefiting only urban subpopulations...
- Nutritional determinants of worldwide diabetes: an econometric study of food markets and diabetes prevalence in 173 countriesSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, Room M 987, San Francisco, CA 94131, USA
Public Health Nutr 16:179-86. 2013..We sought to determine what socio-economic and dietary factors are the most significant population-level contributors to diabetes prevalence rates internationally...
- Comparative performance of private and public healthcare systems in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic reviewSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 9:e1001244. 2012..We performed a systematic review of research studies investigating the performance of private and public sector delivery in low- and middle-income countries...
- Projected effects of tobacco smoking on worldwide tuberculosis control: mathematical modelling analysisSanjay Basu
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
BMJ 343:d5506. 2011..Smoking has been linked to increased individual risk of tuberculosis infection and mortality, but it remains unclear how these risks affect population-wide tuberculosis rates...