Hadley S Abernathy
Affiliation: Stanford University
- Systematic review: the comparative effectiveness of percutaneous coronary interventions and coronary artery bypass graft surgeryDena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research and Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 6019, USA
Ann Intern Med 147:703-16. 2007..The comparative effectiveness of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery and percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) for patients in whom both procedures are feasible remains poorly understood...
- The development and implementation of a curriculum to improve clinicians' self-directed learning skills: a pilot projectDawn M T Bravata
Clinical Epidemiology Research Center, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, Connecticut, USA
BMC Med Educ 3:7. 2003..Clinicians need self-directed learning skills to maintain competency. The objective of this study was to develop and implement a curriculum to teach physicians self-directed learning skills during inpatient ward rotations...
- Employment and alcohol use after liver transplantation for alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver disease: a systematic reviewD M Bravata
Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Liver Transpl 7:191-203. 2001..The proportions of transplant recipients with ALD and non-ALD reporting alcohol use did not differ, although those with ALD tended to consume greater quantities...
- Systematic review: surveillance systems for early detection of bioterrorism-related diseasesDena M Bravata
University of California, San Francisco Stanford Evidence based Practice Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Ann Intern Med 140:910-22. 2004..Given the threat of bioterrorism and the increasing availability of electronic data for surveillance, surveillance systems for the early detection of illnesses and syndromes potentially related to bioterrorism have proliferated...
- A conceptual framework for evaluating information technologies and decision support systems for bioterrorism preparedness and responseDena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 6019, USA
Med Decis Making 24:192-206. 2004....
- Evaluating detection and diagnostic decision support systems for bioterrorism responseDena M Bravata
University of California San Francisco Stanford Evidence based Practice Center, Stanford, California, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:100-8. 2004..Because false-positive and false-negative rates are unknown for most systems, decision making on the basis of these systems is seriously compromised. We describe a framework for the design of future evaluations of such systems...
- Efficacy and safety of low-carbohydrate diets: a systematic reviewDena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif 94305 6019, USA
JAMA 289:1837-50. 2003..Low-carbohydrate diets have been popularized without detailed evidence of their efficacy or safety. The literature has no clear consensus as to what amount of carbohydrates per day constitutes a low-carbohydrate diet...
- Quality of life and employment after liver transplantationD M Bravata
Department of Medicine, Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Liver Transpl 7:S119-23. 2001....
- Inhalational, gastrointestinal, and cutaneous anthrax in children: a systematic review of cases: 1900 to 2005Dena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 6019, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:896-905. 2007..To systematically review all published case reports of children with anthrax to evaluate the predictors of disease progression and mortality...
- Using pedometers to increase physical activity and improve health: a systematic reviewDena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
JAMA 298:2296-304. 2007..Without detailed evidence of their effectiveness, pedometers have recently become popular as a tool for motivating physical activity...
- Systematic review: the effects of growth hormone on athletic performanceHau Liu
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, San Jose, California 95128, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:747-58. 2008..Human growth hormone is reportedly used to enhance athletic performance, although its safety and efficacy for this purpose are poorly understood...
- Modeling the logistics of response to anthrax bioterrorismGregory S Zaric
Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, Canada
Med Decis Making 28:332-50. 2008..How should such a logistical system be organized? How much capacity should be built into each element of the bioterrorism response supply chain?..
- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: improving communication to reduce mortality during bioterrorism responsesMargaret L Brandeau
Department of Management Science and Engineering, Stanford University, California, USA
Am J Disaster Med 3:65-78. 2008..To identify communication needs and evaluate the effectiveness of alternative communication strategies for bioterrorism responses...
- Systematic review: the safety and efficacy of growth hormone in the healthy elderlyHau Liu
Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305 6019, USA
Ann Intern Med 146:104-15. 2007..Human growth hormone (GH) is widely used as an antiaging therapy, although its use for this purpose has not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and its distribution as an antiaging agent is illegal in the United States...
- Reducing mortality from anthrax bioterrorism: strategies for stockpiling and dispensing medical and pharmaceutical suppliesDena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University School of Medicine, and the Stanford UCSF Evidence based Practice Center, California 94305 6019, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 4:244-62. 2006..Bioterrorism preparedness efforts directed at improving local dispensing capacity are required before benefits can be reaped from enhancing local inventories...
- Anthrax: a systematic review of atypical presentationsJon Erik C Holty
VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 48:200-11. 2006..Timely diagnosis and treatment of patients with inhalational anthrax require clinical awareness of the full spectrum of signs and symptoms associated with inhalational anthrax...
- Invariance and inconsistency in utility ratingsDena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 6019, USA
Med Decis Making 25:158-67. 2005..e., when subjects order their utilities such that their utility for a combination of ADL dependencies is greater than their utility for any subset of the combination)...
- Cost-effectiveness of defending against bioterrorism: a comparison of vaccination and antibiotic prophylaxis against anthraxRobert A Fowler
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 142:601-10. 2005..Weaponized Bacillus anthracis is one of the few biological agents that can cause death and disease in sufficient numbers to devastate an urban setting...
- Challenges in systematic reviews: synthesis of topics related to the delivery, organization, and financing of health careDena M Bravata
Stanford University, California, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:1056-65. 2005..As the primary literature on these topics expands, so will opportunities to develop additional novel methods for performing high-quality comprehensive syntheses...
- Elevated late-night salivary cortisol levels in elderly male type 2 diabetic veteransHau Liu
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:642-9. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate LNSC levels in elderly male veterans with and without diabetes...
- Meta-analysis: accuracy of quantitative ultrasound for identifying patients with osteoporosisSmita Nayak
VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:832-41. 2006..However, there is no consensus regarding its accuracy for identifying patients with osteoporosis...
- CoPlot: a tool for visualizing multivariate data in medicineDena M Bravata
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University School of Medicine, 117 Encina Commons, Stanford, CA 94305 6019, U S A
Stat Med 27:2234-47. 2008....
- Systematic review: a century of inhalational anthrax cases from 1900 to 2005Jon Erik C Holty
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University, San Francisco, California 94305 5236, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:270-80. 2006..Mortality from inhalational anthrax during the 2001 U.S. attack was substantially lower than that reported historically...
- Planning the bioterrorism response supply chain: learn and liveMargaret L Brandeau
Department of Management Science and Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford California, USA
Am J Disaster Med 2:231-47. 2007..Such lessons could also be applied to the response supply chains for disease outbreaks and natural and manmade disasters...
- Stents or surgery? New data on the comparative outcomes of percutaneous coronary intervention and coronary artery bypass graft surgeryMark A Hlatky
Circulation 118:325-7. 2008