Genomes and Genes
Douglas R Green
Affiliation: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Green D. Eating the Beast: Dietary Protein and Anticancer Immunity. Cell Metab. 2018;27:703-705 pubmed publisher..2018) examine how a small reduction in dietary protein effectively commandeers the adaptive immune response to attack the tumor, highlighting a role for endoplasmic reticulum stress. ..
- Tait S, Oberst A, Quarato G, Milasta S, Haller M, Wang R, et al. Widespread mitochondrial depletion via mitophagy does not compromise necroptosis. Cell Rep. 2013;5:878-85 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that mitochondrial ROS production accompanies, but does not cause, RIPK3-dependent necroptotic cell death. ..
- Weinlich R, Green D. The two faces of receptor interacting protein kinase-1. Mol Cell. 2014;56:469-80 pubmed publisher..Genetic evidence supported by biochemical and cellular biology approaches sheds light on the circumstances in which RIPK1 promotes or inhibits these processes. ..
- ..2018) reveal the precise role of selenolate-based catalysis by this enzyme. ..
- Follis A, Llambi F, Merritt P, Chipuk J, Green D, Kriwacki R. Pin1-Induced Proline Isomerization in Cytosolic p53 Mediates BAX Activation and Apoptosis. Mol Cell. 2015;59:677-84 pubmed publisher..Activation of BAX through the concerted action of cytosolic p53 and Pin1 may integrate cell stress signals to induce a direct apoptotic response. ..
- Dillon C, Tummers B, Baran K, Green D. Developmental checkpoints guarded by regulated necrosis. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016;73:2125-36 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the role of necroptosis in development and the genetic evidence that helped detail the molecular mechanisms of this novel pathway of programmed cell death. ..
- Dillon C, Green D. Molecular Cell Biology of Apoptosis and Necroptosis in Cancer. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;930:1-23 pubmed publisher..The intricate mechanistic link between death receptor-mediated apoptosis and necroptosis is described, as well as the potential opportunities for utilizing necroptosis in the treatment of malignancy. ..
- ..Venetoclax releases this antagonism and is the first approved drug to target a protein-protein interaction. ..
- Green D, Levine B. To be or not to be? How selective autophagy and cell death govern cell fate. Cell. 2014;157:65-75 pubmed publisher..Failure in the proper removal of damaged organelles and/or damaged cells by selective autophagy and cell death processes is likely to contribute to developmental abnormalities, cancer, aging, inflammation, and other diseases. ..
- Green D, Galluzzi L, Kroemer G. Mitochondria and the autophagy-inflammation-cell death axis in organismal aging. Science. 2011;333:1109-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, a combination of mitochondrial dysfunction and insufficient autophagy may contribute to multiple aging-associated pathologies. ..
- Green D, Fitzgerald P. Just So Stories about the Evolution of Apoptosis. Curr Biol. 2016;26:R620-R627 pubmed publisher..We conclude with a 'Just So Story' of how the mitochondrial pathway of apoptosis might have evolved during eukaryotic evolution. ..
- Kaminski M, Liedmann S, Milasta S, Green D. Polarization and asymmetry in T cell metabolism. Semin Immunol. 2016;28:525-534 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on key cellular processes controlling early metabolic regulation and how these circuits of metabolic control dictate distinct cellular fates upon the first asymmetric division. ..
- ..A paper by Sarosiek et al. in this issue now shows that, unlike those of cancer cells, mitochondria in many tissues in adults are in an apoptosis-resistant state. ..
- Milasta S, Dillon C, Sturm O, Verbist K, Brewer T, Quarato G, et al. Apoptosis-Inducing-Factor-Dependent Mitochondrial Function Is Required for T Cell but Not B Cell Function. Immunity. 2016;44:88-102 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the primary role of AIF relates to complex I function, with differential effects on T and B cells. ..
- Green D, Kroemer G. Cytoplasmic functions of the tumour suppressor p53. Nature. 2009;458:1127-30 pubmed publisher..An emerging area of research unravels additional activities of p53 in the cytoplasm, where it triggers apoptosis and inhibits autophagy. These previously unknown functions contribute to the mission of p53 as a tumour suppressor. ..
- Green D, Chipuk J. p53 and metabolism: Inside the TIGAR. Cell. 2006;126:30-2 pubmed..The discovery of three new target genes for p53 reveals unexpected functions for this tumor suppressor in the regulation of glucose metabolism and autophagy. ..
- Nogusa S, Thapa R, Dillon C, Liedmann S, Oguin T, Ingram J, et al. RIPK3 Activates Parallel Pathways of MLKL-Driven Necroptosis and FADD-Mediated Apoptosis to Protect against Influenza A Virus. Cell Host Microbe. 2016;20:13-24 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results outline RIPK3-activated cytolytic mechanisms essential for controlling respiratory IAV infection. ..
- Alvarez Diaz S, Dillon C, Lalaoui N, Tanzer M, Rodriguez D, Lin A, et al. The Pseudokinase MLKL and the Kinase RIPK3 Have Distinct Roles in Autoimmune Disease Caused by Loss of Death-Receptor-Induced Apoptosis. Immunity. 2016;45:513-526 pubmed publisher..It appears that non-necroptotic functions of RIPK3 contribute to the lymphadenopathy, autoimmunity, and excess cytokine production that occur when FADD or Caspase-8-mediated apoptosis is abrogated. ..
- Llambi F, Wang Y, Victor B, Yang M, Schneider D, Gingras S, et al. BOK Is a Non-canonical BCL-2 Family Effector of Apoptosis Regulated by ER-Associated Degradation. Cell. 2016;165:421-33 pubmed publisher..When proteasome function, VCP, or gp78 activity is compromised, BOK is stabilized to induce MOMP and apoptosis independently of other BCL-2 proteins. ..
- Gong Y, Guy C, Olauson H, Becker J, Yang M, Fitzgerald P, et al. ESCRT-III Acts Downstream of MLKL to Regulate Necroptotic Cell Death and Its Consequences. Cell. 2017;169:286-300.e16 pubmed publisher..As a consequence of the action of ESCRT-III, cells undergoing necroptosis can express chemokines and other regulatory molecules and promote antigenic cross-priming of CD8+ T cells. ..
- Quarato G, Guy C, Grace C, Llambi F, Nourse A, Rodriguez D, et al. Sequential Engagement of Distinct MLKL Phosphatidylinositol-Binding Sites Executes Necroptosis. Mol Cell. 2016;61:589-601 pubmed publisher..PI(4,5)P2 is the preferred PIP-binding partner. We investigate the specific association of MLKL with PIPs and subsequent structural changes during necroptosis. ..
- Dillon C, Weinlich R, Rodriguez D, Cripps J, Quarato G, Gurung P, et al. RIPK1 blocks early postnatal lethality mediated by caspase-8 and RIPK3. Cell. 2014;157:1189-202 pubmed publisher..These results clarify the complex roles for RIPK1 in postnatal life and provide insights into the regulation of FADD-caspase-8 and RIPK3-MLKL signaling by RIPK1...
- Moldoveanu T, Follis A, Kriwacki R, Green D. Many players in BCL-2 family affairs. Trends Biochem Sci. 2014;39:101-11 pubmed publisher..We review the latest structural advances in understanding the interactions and functions of mammalian BCL-2 family members, and discuss new opportunities to modulate these proteins in health and disease. ..