Genomes and Genes
B G M Durie
Affiliation: St. Vincent's Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Role of new treatment approaches in defining treatment goals in multiple myeloma--the ultimate goal is extended survivalBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Samuel Oschin Cancer Center, CA, USA
Cancer Treat Rev 36:S18-23. 2010..Therefore, at this time, extended survival should remain the goal of myeloma therapy...
- Genomic variation in myeloma: design, content, and initial application of the Bank On A Cure SNP Panel to detect associations with progression-free survivalBrian Van Ness
Cancer Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
BMC Med 6:26. 2008..To explore SNP associations with PFS we compared SNP profiles of short term (less than 1 year, n = 70) versus long term progression-free survivors (greater than 3 years, n = 73) in two phase III clinical trials...
- Genetic polymorphisms of EPHX1, Gsk3beta, TNFSF8 and myeloma cell DKK-1 expression linked to bone disease in myelomaB G M Durie
Hematology Oncology, Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute and Aptium Oncology, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Leukemia 23:1913-9. 2009..0074); Gsk3beta (P=0.02) and TNFSF8 (P=0.04) were linked to bone disease. This assessment of genetic polymorphisms identifies SNPs with both potential biological relevance and utility in prognostic models of myeloma bone disease...
- International uniform response criteria for multiple myelomaB G M Durie
Aptium Oncology, Inc, Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Leukemia 20:1467-73. 2006..It is anticipated that the International Response Criteria for multiple myeloma will be widely used in future clinical trials of myeloma...
- The role of anatomic and functional staging in myeloma: description of Durie/Salmon plus staging systemBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Eur J Cancer 42:1539-43. 2006..Wider use of newer imaging will undoubtedly enhance analysis of new trials incorporating novel agents...
- New approaches to treatment for multiple myeloma: durable remission and quality of life as primary goalsBrian G M Durie
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048 1804, USA
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 6:181-90. 2005..Fortunately, new agents already offer longer-term disease control. The ongoing search for a cure will undoubtedly demand courage and dedication on the part of investigators and patients...
- Bortezomib therapy alone and in combination with dexamethasone for previously untreated symptomatic multiple myelomaSundar Jagannath
St Vincent s Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York, NY 10011 8202, USA
Br J Haematol 129:776-83. 2005..Bortezomib alone or in combination with dexamethasone is an effective induction therapy with a high CR and nCR rate and manageable toxicities in previously untreated patients with myeloma...
- Myeloma management guidelines: a consensus report from the Scientific Advisors of the International Myeloma FoundationBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hematol J 4:379-98. 2003..2. Staging and prognostic factors. 3. Frontline therapy. 4. High-dose therapy and transplant. 5. Maintenance therapy. 6. Supportive care and management of specific complications. 7. Novel therapies and new technologies...
- Extended follow-up of a phase 2 trial of bortezomib alone and in combination with dexamethasone for the frontline treatment of multiple myelomaSundar Jagannath
St Vincent s Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York, NY 10011, USA
Br J Haematol 146:619-26. 2009..Bortezomib +/- dexamethasone is an effective and well-tolerated induction regimen for the frontline treatment of MM...
- Magnitude of response with myeloma frontline therapy does not predict outcome: importance of time to progression in southwest oncology group chemotherapy trialsBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1857-63. 2004..The purpose was to clarify the predictive value of specific levels of myeloma-associated monoclonal protein reduction and time to first progression using mature data sets...
- Whole-body (18)F-FDG PET identifies high-risk myelomaBrian G M Durie
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Nucl Med 43:1457-63. 2002..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical utility of whole-body PET with (18)F-FDG in patients with multiple myeloma and related monoclonal diseases...
- Low-dose thalidomide in myeloma: efficacy and biologic significanceBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Semin Oncol 29:34-8. 2002..The median effective dose of thalidomide was 200 mg/d. Thalidomide's mechanism of action, particularly its effects on macrophages, is described. Current approaches to single-agent and combination therapy are presented...
- Myeloma therapy: 25 years forward--immune modulation then and nowBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute, Hematology Oncology and Aptium Oncology, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4698-700. 2008
- Treatment of myeloma--are we making progress?Brian G M Durie
N Engl J Med 359:964-6. 2008
- Management of multiple myeloma: a systematic review and critical appraisal of published studiesAmbuj Kumar
Interdisciplinary Oncology Program of the H Lee Moffitt Cancer and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Lancet Oncol 4:293-304. 2003..We conclude that the quality of total evidence supporting treatment recommendations in myeloma is modest at best and has an ample scope for improvement...
- Thrombotic complications in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma treated with lenalidomide and dexamethasone: benefit of aspirin prophylaxisJeffrey A Zonder
Blood 108:403; author reply 404. 2006
- Eliminating the complete response penalty from myeloma response criteriaS Vincent Rajkumar
Blood 111:5759-60. 2008
- Oncology nurses take the lead in providing novel therapy guidelines for multiple myelomaBrian G M Durie
Clin J Oncol Nurs 12:7-8. 2008
- Confirmation of the utility of the International Staging System and identification of a unique pattern of disease in Brazilian patients with multiple myelomaVania T M Hungria
Haematologica 93:791-2. 2008
- Myeloma in patients younger than age 50 years presents with more favorable features and shows better survival: an analysis of 10 549 patients from the International Myeloma Working GroupHeinz Ludwig
Department of Medicine, Wilhelminenspital, Montleartstr 37, 1160 Vienna, Austria
Blood 111:4039-47. 2008....
- Use of bisphosphonates in multiple myeloma: IMWG response to Mayo Clinic consensus statementBrian G M Durie
Mayo Clin Proc 82:516-7; author reply 517-8. 2007
- A new staging system for multiple myeloma patients based on the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) experienceJoth L Jacobson
Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center, Seattle, WA 98101 1468, USA
Br J Haematol 122:441-50. 2003..Additional evaluation in other MM patient populations is needed to confirm results...
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphosphonatesBrian G M Durie
N Engl J Med 353:99-102; discussion 99-102. 2005
- International staging system for multiple myelomaPhilip R Greipp
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, Rochester, MN, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:3412-20. 2005..There is a need for a simple, reliable staging system for multiple myeloma that can be applied internationally for patient classification and stratification...