B G Durie
Affiliation: St. Vincent's Comprehensive Cancer Center
- RT-PCR amplicons in the plasma of multiple myeloma patients--clinical relevance and molecular pathologyB G Durie
Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Division of Hematology Oncology, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Acta Oncol 39:789-96. 2000..2% homology with an AluSc consensus sequence. The occurrence of RNA amplicons seemed to serve as accurate surrogate markers for active disease in MM that provide new insights to the molecular pathogenesis of the disease...
- Magnitude of response with myeloma frontline therapy does not predict outcome: importance of time to progression in southwest oncology group chemotherapy trialsBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1857-63. 2004..The purpose was to clarify the predictive value of specific levels of myeloma-associated monoclonal protein reduction and time to first progression using mature data sets...
- Myeloma management guidelines: a consensus report from the Scientific Advisors of the International Myeloma FoundationBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hematol J 4:379-98. 2003..2. Staging and prognostic factors. 3. Frontline therapy. 4. High-dose therapy and transplant. 5. Maintenance therapy. 6. Supportive care and management of specific complications. 7. Novel therapies and new technologies...
- Whole-body (18)F-FDG PET identifies high-risk myelomaBrian G M Durie
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Nucl Med 43:1457-63. 2002..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical utility of whole-body PET with (18)F-FDG in patients with multiple myeloma and related monoclonal diseases...
- The epidemiology of multiple myelomaB G Durie
Hematology/Oncology Division, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Cedars-Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Semin Hematol 38:1-5. 2001..Full details of the genetic background in a given patient are required to better understand the disease. Hopefully this information will be available soon, using DNA array and related technologies...
- Treatment of myeloma--are we making progress?Brian G M Durie
N Engl J Med 359:964-6. 2008
- Confirmation of the utility of the International Staging System and identification of a unique pattern of disease in Brazilian patients with multiple myelomaVania T M Hungria
Haematologica 93:791-2. 2008
- New approaches to treatment for multiple myeloma: durable remission and quality of life as primary goalsBrian G M Durie
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048 1804, USA
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 6:181-90. 2005..Fortunately, new agents already offer longer-term disease control. The ongoing search for a cure will undoubtedly demand courage and dedication on the part of investigators and patients...
- Bortezomib therapy alone and in combination with dexamethasone for previously untreated symptomatic multiple myelomaSundar Jagannath
St Vincent s Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York, NY 10011 8202, USA
Br J Haematol 129:776-83. 2005..Bortezomib alone or in combination with dexamethasone is an effective induction therapy with a high CR and nCR rate and manageable toxicities in previously untreated patients with myeloma...
- International staging system for multiple myelomaPhilip R Greipp
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group, Rochester, MN, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:3412-20. 2005..There is a need for a simple, reliable staging system for multiple myeloma that can be applied internationally for patient classification and stratification...
- A new staging system for multiple myeloma patients based on the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) experienceJoth L Jacobson
Southwest Oncology Group Statistical Center, Seattle, WA 98101 1468, USA
Br J Haematol 122:441-50. 2003..Additional evaluation in other MM patient populations is needed to confirm results...
- Management of multiple myeloma: a systematic review and critical appraisal of published studiesAmbuj Kumar
Interdisciplinary Oncology Program of the H Lee Moffitt Cancer and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Lancet Oncol 4:293-304. 2003..We conclude that the quality of total evidence supporting treatment recommendations in myeloma is modest at best and has an ample scope for improvement...
- Eliminating the complete response penalty from myeloma response criteriaS Vincent Rajkumar
Blood 111:5759-60. 2008
- Oncology nurses take the lead in providing novel therapy guidelines for multiple myelomaBrian G M Durie
Clin J Oncol Nurs 12:7-8. 2008
- Myeloma in patients younger than age 50 years presents with more favorable features and shows better survival: an analysis of 10 549 patients from the International Myeloma Working GroupHeinz Ludwig
Department of Medicine, Wilhelminenspital, Montleartstr 37, 1160 Vienna, Austria
Blood 111:4039-47. 2008....
- Use of bisphosphonates in multiple myeloma: IMWG response to Mayo Clinic consensus statementBrian G M Durie
Mayo Clin Proc 82:516-7; author reply 517-8. 2007
- Thrombotic complications in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma treated with lenalidomide and dexamethasone: benefit of aspirin prophylaxisJeffrey A Zonder
Blood 108:403; author reply 404. 2006
- The role of anatomic and functional staging in myeloma: description of Durie/Salmon plus staging systemBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Eur J Cancer 42:1539-43. 2006..Wider use of newer imaging will undoubtedly enhance analysis of new trials incorporating novel agents...
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphosphonatesBrian G M Durie
N Engl J Med 353:99-102; discussion 99-102. 2005
- Low-dose thalidomide in myeloma: efficacy and biologic significanceBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Semin Oncol 29:34-8. 2002..The median effective dose of thalidomide was 200 mg/d. Thalidomide's mechanism of action, particularly its effects on macrophages, is described. Current approaches to single-agent and combination therapy are presented...
- Myeloma therapy: 25 years forward--immune modulation then and nowBrian G M Durie
Cedars Sinai Outpatient Cancer Center at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute, Hematology Oncology and Aptium Oncology, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4698-700. 2008