Affiliation: St Charles Medical Center
- Adolescents and young adults with cancer: the scope of the problem and criticality of clinical trialsArchie Bleyer
Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Cancer 107:1645-55. 2006..National initiatives are underway to address these issues, with special emphasis on increasing the availability and access to clinical trials designed for older adolescents and young adults...
- Returning to work after parenting a child with the most curable chronic diseaseArchie Bleyer
St. Charles Medical Center, 2500 NE Neff Rd, Bend, Oregon, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 51:1-2. 2008
- Cancer in 15- to 29-year-olds by primary siteArchie Bleyer
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Medical Center, 2500 N E Neff Road, Bend, Oregon 97702, USA
Oncologist 11:590-601. 2006..Ultimately, a larger proportion of cases may be attributable to specific factors or genetic predisposition, but at present, most cancer in this age group appears to be sporadic and random...
- The distinctive biology of cancer in adolescents and young adultsArchie Bleyer
St Charles Medical Center, 2500 NE Neff Road, Bend, Oregon 97701, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 8:288-98. 2008..Translational and clinical research should not assume that the biology of cancers and patients is the same as in other age groups, and treatment strategies should be tailored to the differences...
- The Quid Pro Quo of pediatric versus adult services for older adolescent cancer patientsArchie Bleyer
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Medical Center, Bend, Oregon, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 54:238-41. 2010..Data from the State of Georgia suggest that pediatric cancers have better survival outcomes when treated at pediatric cancer centers that are members of the nation's Children's Oncology Group (COG)...
- The adolescent and young adult gap in cancer care and outcomeArchie Bleyer
The University of Texas Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care 35:182-217. 2005
- Cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx in young females: increasing incidence, role of human papilloma virus, and lack of survival improvementArchie Bleyer
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR 97701, USA
Semin Oncol 36:451-9. 2009..If so, the human papillomavirus vaccines will have cancer prevention benefits beyond cervical carcinoma and will be needed increasingly as the incidence of head and neck cancer is projected to continue to rise in young women...
- Cancer in young adults 20 to 39 years of age: overviewArchie Bleyer
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Semin Oncol 36:194-206. 2009....
- How NCCN guidelines can help young adults and older adolescents with cancer and the professionals who care for themArchie Bleyer
St Charles Health System, Central Eastern Oregon, and Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97701, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 10:1065-71. 2012..A patient version will have mutually beneficial effects for families and professionals...
- Relative lack of conditional survival improvement in young adults with cancerArchie Bleyer
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR 97701, USA
Semin Oncol 36:460-7. 2009..Regardless of the reasons, the deficit is yet another challenge faced by young adult patients that merits further study...
- Young adult oncology: the patients and their survival challengesArchie Bleyer
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 57:242-55. 2007..Against this background, young adults with cancer have unique survival challenges--medically, psychosocially, and economically--that are now beginning to be appreciated and addressed with a national initiative...
- National survival trends of young adults with sarcoma: lack of progress is associated with lack of clinical trial participationArchie Bleyer
Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 103:1891-7. 2005..S. have had less improvement in survival than either younger patients or older patients. The authors attempted to determine whether similar deficits have occurred in young adults with sarcomas and, if so, then why...
- Proceedings of a workshop: bridging the gap in care and addressing participation in clinical trialsArchie Bleyer
The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Cancer 107:1656-8. 2006..This may reflect both distinct biologic features of these diseases and a real gap in health care...
- Older adolescents with cancer in North America deficits in outcome and researchArchie Bleyer
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Division of Pediatrics, Houston 77030, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 49:1027-42. 2002..Thus, cancer during adolescence and early adulthood has been relatively neglected and merits enhanced national research programs and resources...
- CAUTION! Consider cancer: common symptoms and signs for early detection of cancer in young adultsArchie Bleyer
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR, USA
Semin Oncol 36:207-12. 2009..These aids have the potential of assisting in early detection, accurate diagnosis, longer survival, and a reduced risk of premature death...
- Adolescent and young adult (AYA) oncology: the first AArchie Bleyer
St Charles Medical Center, 2500 NE Neff Rd, Bend, OR 97701, USA
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24:325-36. 2007..Preliminary evidence indicates that these efforts have already had measurable success...
- Participation of adolescents with cancer in clinical trialsAndrea Ferrari
Pediatric Oncology Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via G Venezian, 1 20133 Milano MI, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 33:603-8. 2007..The ultimate challenge is the development of a new discipline, adolescent/teenage and young adult oncology, devoted to the care of these patients...
- The challenges of clinical trials for adolescents and young adults with cancerAndrea Ferrari
Pediatric Oncology Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:1101-4. 2008..Regardless of whether there is a causal relationship, the impact of low clinical trial activity on furthering our scientific knowledge and management of cancer during adolescence and early adulthood is detrimental...
- Assessing the health care needs of adolescent and young adult cancer patients and survivorsBrad Zebrack
University of Southern California, School of Social Work, Los Angeles, California 90089 0411, USA
Cancer 107:2915-23. 2006..The objective of this study was to identify important health and supportive care needs for AYA patients and survivors...
- Are experimental treatments for cancer in children superior to established treatments? Observational study of randomised controlled trials by the Children's Oncology GroupAmbuj Kumar
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
BMJ 331:1295. 2005....
- Delays in cancer diagnosis in underinsured young adults and older adolescentsSean Martin
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80231, USA
Oncologist 12:816-24. 2007..S., adolescents and young adults diagnosed with cancer have had less survival improvement than older or younger patients, a deficit that may be a result of delays in diagnosis in an age group with the lowest rates of health insurance...
- Epoetin versus darbepoetin conundrum compromiseArchie Bleyer
J Clin Oncol 24:e46. 2006