James E Cummins
Affiliation: Southern Research Institute
- Detection of infectious human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in female genital secretions by a short-term culture methodJames E Cummins
Division of AIDS, STD, and TB Laboratory Research, National Center for Infectious Diseases, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:4081-8. 2003..Accurate measurements of infectious virus in genital secretions will improve studies that evaluate sexual transmission of HIV-1...
- Amphipathic DNA polymers exhibit antiviral activity against systemic murine Cytomegalovirus infectionRhonda D Cardin
Division of Infectious Diseases, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Virol J 6:214. 2009..The activity of these agents against animal cytomegalovirus (CMV) infections in vitro and in vivo was therefore investigated...
- Mucosal innate immune factors in secretions from high-risk individuals immunized with a bivalent gp120 vaccineJames E Cummins
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 23:748-54. 2007..Because of the importance of innate immunity in host defense, evaluation of the mucosal innate immune system should be included in future HIV prevention trials...
- Preclinical testing of candidate topical microbicides for anti-human immunodeficiency virus type 1 activity and tissue toxicity in a human cervical explant cultureJames E Cummins
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1770-9. 2007..Collectively, these data suggest that this culture system can be used for evaluating the safety and efficacy of topical microbicides designed for vaginal use...
- Mucosal innate immune factors in the female genital tract are associated with vaginal HIV-1 shedding independent of plasma viral loadJames E Cummins
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:788-95. 2006..In this group of women, these results suggest that the levels of certain innate immune factors are more closely associated with HIV-1 shedding in the genital mucosa than plasma virus concentrations...
- Mucosal and systemic antibody responses in humans infected with simian foamy virusJames E Cummins
HIV and Retrovirology Branch, Division of AIDS, STD, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Virol 79:13186-9. 2005..These results provide a first comparative evaluation of SFV-specific host mucosal humoral immunity in infected humans and chimpanzees that is characterized by a predominant IgG response and a virtually absent IgA response...
- A human colorectal explant culture to evaluate topical microbicides for the prevention of HIV infectionSheila R Abner
HIV and Retrovirology Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, and Surgical Service, Emory University School of Medicine, Decatur, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 192:1545-56. 2005..These results suggest that this model is useful for evaluating the safety and efficacy of topical microbicides when used rectally...
- In vitro preclinical testing of nonoxynol-9 as potential anti-human immunodeficiency virus microbicide: a retrospective analysis of results from five laboratoriesBrigitte E Beer
Southern Research Institute, 431 Aviation Way, Frederick, MD 21701, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:713-23. 2006..This comparative work can be used to develop standardized microbicide testing protocols that will help advance potential microbicides to clinical trials...
- Development of a comprehensive human immunodeficiency virus type 1 screening algorithm for discovery and preclinical testing of topical microbicidesCarol Lackman-Smith
Southern Research Institute, 431 Aviation Way, Frederick, Maryland 21701, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1768-81. 2008....
- Inhibition of HIV-1 replication by amphotericin B methyl ester: selection for resistant variantsAbdul A Waheed
Virus Cell Interaction Section, HIV Drug Resistance Program, NCI Frederick, National Institutes of Health, Frederick, Maryland 21702 1201, USA
J Biol Chem 281:28699-711. 2006..Our data define the target and mechanism of action of AME and provide support for the concept that cholesterol-binding compounds should be pursued as antiretroviral drugs to disrupt HIV-1 replication...
- Biological and technical variables affecting immunoassay recovery of cytokines from human serum and simulated vaginal fluid: a multicenter studyRaina N Fichorova
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Anal Chem 80:4741-51. 2008..This investigation provides the first standardized analytic approach for assessing differences in mucosal cytokine levels and may improve strategies for monitoring immune responses at the vaginal mucosal interface...