Affiliation: Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- Bartke A, Westbrook R, Sun L, Ratajczak M. Links between growth hormone and aging. Endokrynol Pol. 2013;64:46-52 pubmed..Many of the physiological characteristics of long-lived, GH-related mouse mutants are shared by exceptionally long-lived people and by individuals genetically predisposed to longevity. ..
- Bartke A. Growth hormone, insulin and aging: the benefits of endocrine defects. Exp Gerontol. 2011;46:108-11 pubmed publisher..The role of GH in the control of human aging continues to be hotly debated, but recent data indicate that reduced somatotropic signaling provides protection from cancer and other age-related diseases and may promote old age survival. ..
- Bartke A. Insulin and aging. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:3338-43 pubmed..Studies of physiological characteristics and polymorphisms of insulin-related genes in exceptionally long-lived people suggest a role of insulin signaling in the control of human aging. ..
- Bartke A, Coschigano K, Kopchick J, Chandrashekar V, Mattison J, Kinney B, et al. Genes that prolong life: relationships of growth hormone and growth to aging and life span. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001;56:B340-9 pubmed
- Bartke A, Sun L, Fang Y, Hill C. Growth hormone actions during development influence adult phenotype and longevity. Exp Gerontol. 2016;86:22-27 pubmed publisher..We suspect that altered "programming" of aging during development may represent one of the mechanisms of the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (DOHaD) and the detrimental effects of "catch-up" growth. ..
- Bartke A. Long-lived Klotho mice: new insights into the roles of IGF-1 and insulin in aging. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2006;17:33-5 pubmed..However, activation of signaling molecules downstream from IGF-1 and insulin receptors is reduced in both Klotho and dwarf mice, suggesting common mechanisms of delayed aging. ..
- Bartke A, Darcy J. GH and ageing: Pitfalls and new insights. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;31:113-125 pubmed publisher..However, the impact of somatotropic signaling on neoplastic disease is difficult to separate from its impact on aging, and IGF-1 levels exhibit opposite associations with different chronic, age-related diseases. ..
- Bartke A, Peluso M, Moretz N, Wright C, Bonkowski M, Winters T, et al. Effects of Soy-derived diets on plasma and liver lipids, glucose tolerance, and longevity in normal, long-lived and short-lived mice. Horm Metab Res. 2004;36:550-8 pubmed..We conclude that dietary soy protein intake can improve plasma and hepatic lipid profiles, reduce fasting glucose, enhance capacity for glucose tolerance, and prolong life, but all of these effects are strongly genotype-dependent. ..
- Bartke A. Can growth hormone (GH) accelerate aging? Evidence from GH-transgenic mice. Neuroendocrinology. 2003;78:210-6 pubmed
- Bartke A, Wright J, Mattison J, Ingram D, Miller R, Roth G. Extending the lifespan of long-lived mice. Nature. 2001;414:412 pubmed
- Bartke A. Pleiotropic effects of growth hormone signaling in aging. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2011;22:437-42 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the present understanding of the multifaceted relationship between somatotropic signaling and mammalian aging. ..