Sharon H Saydah
Affiliation: Social and Scientific Systems
- Projected impact of implementing the results of the diabetes prevention program in the U.S. populationSharon H Saydah
Social and Scientific Systems, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 25:1940-5. 2002..S. population who meet the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) criteria for intervention, defined as BMI >/=24 kg/m(2), fasting plasma glucose level 96-125 mg/dl, and 2-h glucose level 140-199 mg/dl in an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)...
- Depressive symptoms and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a US sampleSharon H Saydah
Social and Scientific Systems, Inc, 8757 Georgia Avenue 12th Floor, Silver Spring, MD, USA
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 19:202-8. 2003..Therefore, to determine if depressive symptoms increased the risk of type 2 diabetes, we conducted longitudinal analyses using data from the NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Survey (NHEFS)...
- Full accounting of diabetes and pre-diabetes in the U.S. population in 1988-1994 and 2005-2006Catherine C Cowie
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 32:287-94. 2009..S. during 2005-2006. We then compared the prevalences of these conditions with those in 1988-1994...
- Abnormal glucose tolerance and the risk of cancer death in the United StatesSharon H Saydah
Department of Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:1092-100. 2003..31, 95% CI: 0.48, 3.56) and diabetes (relative hazard = 1.13, 95% CI: 0.49, 2.62). These data suggest that, in the United States, impaired glucose tolerance is an independent predictor for cancer mortality...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine among adults with chronic diseases: United States 2002Sharon H Saydah
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Office of Analysis and Epidemiology, Hyattsville, MD, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:805-12. 2006..Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) has increased in recent years...
- Poor control of risk factors for vascular disease among adults with previously diagnosed diabetesSharon H Saydah
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD, USA
JAMA 291:335-42. 2004..18 mmol/L). CONCLUSION: Further public health efforts are needed to control risk factors for vascular disease among individuals with diagnosed diabetes...
- Relationship of polyunsaturated fatty acid intake to peripheral neuropathy among adults with diabetes in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999 2004Min Tao
Epidemic Intelligence Service Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 31:93-5. 2008..This study investigated the association between dietary intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and peripheral neuropathy in the U.S. population...
- Age and the burden of death attributable to diabetes in the United StatesSharon H Saydah
Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:714-9. 2002..8% for CVD). These data suggest that diabetes accounts for at least 3.6% of all deaths and 5.2% of CVD deaths in US adults. Improvements in diabetes prevention and treatment should produce noticeable effects on US life expectancy...
- Review of the performance of methods to identify diabetes cases among vital statistics, administrative, and survey dataSharon H Saydah
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Epidemiol 14:507-16. 2004..The ability to identify prevalent cases of diagnosed diabetes is crucial to monitoring preventative care practices and health outcomes among persons with diagnosed diabetes...
- Prevalence of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in adults in the U.S. population: National Health And Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002Catherine C Cowie
Diabetes Epidemiology Program, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases NIH, 6707 Democracy Blvd, Rm 691, MSC 5460, Bethesda, MD 20892 5460, USA
Diabetes Care 29:1263-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine the prevalences of diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes, and impaired fasting glucose (IFG) in U.S. adults during 1999-2002, and compare prevalences to those in 1988-1994...
- Association of markers of insulin and glucose control with subsequent colorectal cancer riskSharon H Saydah
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 12:412-8. 2003....