- Veterans administration health care utilization among sexual minority veteransTracy L Simpson
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Psychol Serv 10:223-32. 2013..Stigma and lack of communication between GLB veterans and their providers about sexual orientation are areas of concern for VHA...
- Symptoms of posttraumatic stress predict craving among alcohol treatment seekers: results of a daily monitoring studyTracy L Simpson
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 26:724-33. 2012..Additionally, clinicians may be better able to refine treatment decisions to more efficiently break the cycle between PTSD-related distress and AUD symptoms...
- Psychiatric correlates of medical care costs among veterans receiving mental health careTracy L Simpson
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
J Interpers Violence 27:1005-22. 2012..Greater DESNOS severity appears to be associated with lower specialty medical care costs but not primary care costs. These findings may indicate that patients with DESNOS symptoms are at risk for being underreferred for specialty care...
- Comparing the diagnosis of PTSD when assessing worst versus multiple traumatic events in a chronically mentally ill sampleTracy L Simpson
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Mental Health Service, Seattle, WA, USA
J Trauma Stress 24:361-4. 2011..2% when considering all traumas. Although preliminary, these results suggest that linking PTSD symptoms to a single traumatic event excludes a meaningful number of cases who are otherwise indistinguishable based on symptom profile...
- Daily telephone monitoring compared with retrospective recall of alcohol use among patients in early recoveryTracy L Simpson
VISN 20 Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Addict 20:63-8. 2011..The results indicate a need for further refinement of IVR methodology for treatment seeking populations as well as caution when retrospectively assessing drinking over time periods longer than a week among these individuals. ..
- A pilot trial of the alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist, prazosin, for alcohol dependenceTracy L Simpson
Center of Excellence in Substance Abuse Treatment and Education, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:255-63. 2009..Theory and preclinical evidence suggest that noradrenergic circuits may be involved in alcohol reinforcement and relapse. We therefore tested the alpha-1 adrenergic receptor antagonist, prazosin, as a pharmacotherapy for AD...
- Fear and avoidance of internal experiences among patients with substance use disorders and PTSD: the centrality of anxiety sensitivityTracy Simpson
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle Division, and the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
J Trauma Stress 19:481-91. 2006..Theoretical and treatment implications of these findings are discussed in the context of individuals with dually diagnosed PTSD and substance abuse disorders...
- Impact of emotional approach coping and hope on PTSD and depression symptoms in a trauma exposed sample of Veterans receiving outpatient VA mental health care servicesChristina M Hassija
Mental Health Service, Seattle Division, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, 1660 South Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98126, USA
Anxiety Stress Coping 25:559-73. 2012....
- A pilot study of memory impairment associated with discrepancies between retrospective and daily recall of alcohol consumptionRandi Lincoln
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Addict 20:568-74. 2011..These preliminary results suggest that verbal memory difficulties common in this population may result in inaccurate reports of days drinking for some individuals...
- PTSD symptom clusters in relationship to alcohol misuse among Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans seeking post-deployment VA health careMatthew Jakupcak
Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center MIRECC, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98108, United States
Addict Behav 35:840-3. 2010..The examination of specific PTSD symptom clusters suggested that emotional numbing symptoms were most strongly associated with alcohol misuse. The implications for interventions for alcohol misuse in returning Veterans are discussed...
- Health and health behavior differences: U.S. Military, veteran, and civilian menKatherine D Hoerster
Research and Development Service, VA Puget Sound Healthcare System, Seattle Division, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:483-9. 2012..Several important differences were identified among U.S. women from these subpopulations; to identify areas for targeted intervention, studies comparing men from these subpopulations are needed...
- Alcohol problems and posttraumatic stress disorder in female crime victimsDebra Kaysen
University of Washington, Department of Psychiatry and Behavior Sciences, Seattle, WA 98195 6560, USA
J Trauma Stress 19:399-403. 2006..These findings suggest that early intervention strategies for women who have previous histories of alcohol problems and seek medical attention early post trauma may be indicated...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder screening status is associated with increased VA medical and surgical utilization in womenDorcas J Dobie
Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S58-64. 2006..Women with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) report poor health, but associations with health care utilization are understudied...
- Dual diagnosis: impact of family historyKatherine Anne Comtois
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Am J Addict 14:291-9. 2005..Differences in means represent low to very low substance abuse severity for those without family history and low to medium severity for those with family history. The clinical implications are discussed...
- Domestic violence and alcohol use: trauma-related symptoms and motives for drinkingDebra Kaysen
Center for Trauma Recovery, University of Missouri St Louis, St Louis, MO, USA
Addict Behav 32:1272-83. 2007..Results suggest the importance of assessing trauma symptoms and motives for drinking in understanding alcohol use in recent survivors of domestic violence...
- Reducing Alcohol Use & PTSD w/ Cognitive Restructuring & Experiential AcceptanceTracy Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..