Jillian C Shipherd
- Veterans seeking treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder: what about comorbid chronic pain?Jillian C Shipherd
Department of Veterans Affairs VA Boston Healthcare System, National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Women s Health Sciences Division 116B 3, VA Medical Center, 150 South Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 44:153-66. 2007..While our results must be interpreted cautiously because of multiple confounding factors and the absence of experimental manipulation, they highlight the importance of PTSD and pain comorbidity...
- Sexual harassment in the Marines, posttraumatic stress symptoms, and perceived health: evidence for sex differencesJillian C Shipherd
VA Boston Healthcare System, National Center for PTSD Women s Health Sciences Division, and Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Trauma Stress 22:3-10. 2009..For men with MST, there was some evidence for the association being partially mediated by PSS, but no mediation was found in women...
- Longitudinal investigation of reciprocal relationship between stress reactions and hardinessDawne S Vogt
National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 34:61-73. 2008..Although the negative impact of stress reactions on hardiness was strongest when social support was low for both genders, stress reactions predicted enhanced hardiness when social support was high for women only...
- A preliminary examination of treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder in chronic pain patients: a case studyJillian C Shipherd
Department of Psychology, SUNY Buffalo, New York, USA
J Trauma Stress 16:451-7. 2003..Although there were no changes in subjective pain, there were pain-related functional improvements and reductions in other psychiatric diagnoses for the majority of patients...
- Predicting alcohol and drug abuse in Persian Gulf War veterans: what role do PTSD symptoms play?Jillian C Shipherd
Boston University School of Medicine, USA
Addict Behav 30:595-9. 2005..Hierarchical regressions were conducted to examine the self-medication hypothesis, which was supported for drug use but not for alcohol use at T3...
- Main and interactive effects of social support in predicting mental health symptoms in men and women following military stressor exposureBrian N Smith
Women s Health Sciences Division, National Center for PTSD, VA, Boston Healthcare System, 150 South Huntington Avenue, 116B 3, Boston, MA, USA
Anxiety Stress Coping 26:52-69. 2013..Reviewed implications focus on the importance of considering the recipient, source, and context of social support...
- Posttraumatic stress symptomatology as a mediator of the association between military sexual trauma and post-deployment physical health in womenBrian N Smith
Women s Health Sciences Division, National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts 02130, USA
J Trauma Dissociation 12:275-89. 2011..The findings from the current study indicate that sexual assault has detrimental associations with physical health and that PSS plays a primary role in that relationship...
- Trauma, binge eating, and the "strong Black woman"Ellen F Harrington
National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 78:469-79. 2010....
- Attentional biases in PTSD: More evidence for interferenceSuzanne L Pineles
National Center for PTSD, Women s Health Sciences Division, VA Boston Healthcare System, 150 South Huntington Ave 116B 3, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Behav Res Ther 47:1050-7. 2009..g., PTSD, GAD) rather than those more circumscribed to fight or flight response (e.g., phobias)...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and intimate partner violence in a women's headache centerMegan R Gerber
VA Boston Healthcare System Women s Health, Boston University School of Medicine, 150 S Huntington Ave, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130, USA
Women Health 52:454-71. 2012..The researchers in this study examined the relationship between headache and posttraumatic stress disorder in a novel population, and estimated 12-month and lifetime prevalence rates of intimate partner violence...
- Posttraumatic maladaptive beliefs scale: evolution of the personal beliefs and reactions scaleDawne S Vogt
National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Assessment 19:308-17. 2012..Moreover, the measure is sensitive to changes that occur in treatment, and the length of the measure (15 items) is practical for use in clinical settings...
- The role of attentional biases in PTSD: is it interference or facilitation?Suzanne L Pineles
VA Boston Healthcare System, National Center for PTSD, Women s Health Sciences Division 116B 3, Boston, MA, USA
Behav Res Ther 45:1903-13. 2007..High PTSD veterans who engaged in the interference task first showed increased interference to threat-relevant words relative to Low PTSD veterans. However, no evidence was found for facilitated detection of threatening stimuli in PTSD...
- Suicide Attempts and Suicide among Marines: A Decade of Follow-upJaimie L Gradus
VA Boston Healthcare System, National Center for PTSD, Boston, MA, USA Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 43:39-49. 2013..This study highlights the importance of screening for stressful and potentially traumatic experiences occurring both before and during military service as part of a comprehensive suicide risk assessment in military samples...