Seong S Shim
- Effects of sub-chronic lithium treatment on synaptic plasticity in the dentate gyrus of rat hippocampal slicesSeong S Shim
Department of Psychiatry, NIMH Center for Bipolar Disorder, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:343-7. 2007..These results indicate that sub-chronic treatment of lithium increases the excitatory postsynaptic responses, synaptic strength and the cell firing of the granule cells in the DG of the hippocampus...
- Potentiation of the NMDA receptor in the treatment of schizophrenia: focused on the glycine siteSeong S Shim
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Cleveland VA Medical Center Psychiatric Services 116 A W, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 258:16-27. 2008....
- Four weeks lithium treatment alters neuronal dendrites in the rat hippocampusSeong S Shim
Department of Psychiatry, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 16:1373-82. 2013..These findings suggest that, in the DG and apical CA1, chronic lithium treatment rearranges neuronal morphology to increase dendritic branching and distribution to where major afferent input is received...
- Effects of 4-weeks of treatment with lithium and olanzapine on long-term potentiation in hippocampal area CA1Seong S Shim
Psychiatry Service, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Neurosci Lett 524:5-9. 2012..The results suggest that lithium up-regulates synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus, and olanzapine increases synaptic transmission without apparent changes in LTP in the hippocampus...
- Effects of subchronic lithium treatment on levels of BDNF, Bcl-2 and phospho-CREB in the rat hippocampusMichael D Hammonds
Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 100:356-9. 2007..This study indicates that the lithium-induced up-regulation of these molecules may be various depending on the duration of lithium exposure and particular brain regions exposed to the drug...
- Effects of 4-week treatment with lithium and olanzapine on levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor, B-cell CLL/lymphoma 2 and phosphorylated cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element-binding protein in the sub-regions of the hippocampusMichael D Hammonds
Department of Psychiatry, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 105:113-9. 2009..Neither drug altered BDNF levels in area CA1. These results suggest that the up-regulation of Bcl-2 and CREB may underlie the neuroplastic actions of olanzapine and lithium...
- Differential interactions between comorbid anxiety disorders and substance use disorder in rapid cycling bipolar I or II disorderKeming Gao
Department of Psychiatry, Bipolar Disorder Research Center at Mood Disorders Program, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Affect Disord 110:167-73. 2008..Anxiety disorders (AD) and substance use disorders (SUD) commonly co-occur with bipolar disorder. This study was undertaken to assess AD-SUD-bipolar subtype interactions...
- Action of atypical antipsychoticsSeong S Shim
Am J Psychiatry 159:154-5. 2002
- D-cycloserine augmentation for behavioral therapySeong S Shim
Am J Psychiatry 165:1050. 2008