Scott E Sherman
- Population-based tobacco treatment: study design of a randomized controlled trialSteven S Fu
VA HSR and D Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Minneapolis VA Health Care System, Minneapolis, MN, USA
BMC Public Health 12:159. 2012....
- Effectiveness of an on-call counselor at increasing smoking treatmentScott E Sherman
VA Center of Excellence for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, Sepulveda, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:1125-31. 2007..Smoking cessation programs are very effective, but little is known about how to get smokers to attend these programs...
- Care coordination to increase referrals to smoking cessation telephone counseling: a demonstration projectScott E Sherman
Veterans Affairs New York Harbor Healthcare System, 423 E 23rd St Rm 111, New York, NY 10010, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:141-8. 2008..To test the effectiveness of a care coordination program for telephone counseling in raising referral and treatment rates for smoking cessation...
- Targeting primary care referrals to smoking cessation clinics does not improve quit rates: implementing evidence-based interventions into practiceElizabeth M Yano
VA Greater Los Angeles HSR and D Center of Excellence, Sepulveda VA Ambulatory Care Center 152, 16111 Plummer Street, Sepulveda, CA 91343, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1637-61. 2008..To evaluate the impact of a locally adapted evidence-based quality improvement (EBQI) approach to implementation of smoking cessation guidelines into routine practice...
- Telephone care coordination for smokers in VA mental health clinics: protocol for a hybrid type-2 effectiveness-implementation trialErin Rogers
VA New York Harbor Healthcare System, 423 East 23rd Street 15N, New York, NY 10010, USA
Addict Sci Clin Pract 8:7. 2013....
- Using evidence-based quality improvement methods for translating depression collaborative care research into practiceLisa V Rubenstein
Department of Medicine and Health Services Research, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Fam Syst Health 28:91-113. 2010..SITES: Three multistate administrative regions and seven of their medium-sized primary care practices...
- Gender differences in smoking cessation services received among veteransScott E Sherman
VA Center for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, Sepulveda, California 91343, USA
Womens Health Issues 15:126-33. 2005..We compared the baseline characteristics of male and female smokers and then assessed the smoking cessation services they received to determine whether there are important gender differences in care...
- Combining women's preferences and expert advice to design a tailored smoking cessation programJUDITH R KATZBURG
Veteran s Affairs Greater Los Angeles HSR and D Center of Excellence, Sepulveda, CA, USA
Subst Use Misuse 44:2114-37. 2009..The study's implications and limitations are noted. This research (conducted in Los Angeles, California) was funded by the American Legacy Foundation with additional VA support...
- Developing a toolkit for panel management: improving hypertension and smoking cessation outcomes in primary care at the VAStella M Savarimuthu
VA New York Harbor Healthcare System, 423 East 23rd Street, New York, NY 10010, USA
BMC Fam Pract 14:176. 2013....
- Assessing the institutional approach to implementing smoking cessation practice guidelines in veterans health administration facilitiesScott E Sherman
Veterans Administration Health Services Research and Development, Center of Excellence for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, Veterans Administration Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Sepulveda, CA 91343, USA
Mil Med 171:80-7. 2006..Future research should evaluate whether this approach provides adequate access and responsiveness to patient preferences for the full population of smokers in primary care...
- Assessing the structure of smoking cessation care in the Veterans Health AdministrationScott E Sherman
Veterans Administration Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, Veterans Administration Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Sepulveda, California 91343, USA
Am J Health Promot 20:313-8. 2006..Facilities routinely measure the processes of care but not the structure of care. This pilot study assessed the structure of smoking cessation care at Veterans Health Administration facilities...
- A framework for tobacco control: lessons learnt from Veterans Health AdministrationScott E Sherman
VA New York Harbor Healthcare System New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10010, USA
BMJ 336:1016-9. 2008
- Comparing the tolerability and effectiveness of two treatment regimens in a smoking clinicScott E Sherman
VA New York Harbor Healthcare System, 423 East 23rd Street, New York, NY 10010, USA
Mil Med 173:550-4. 2008..There was no difference in the rate of switching treatments, or in long-term abstinence rates...
- Teaching systems-based practice to primary care physicians to foster routine implementation of evidence-based depression careScott E Sherman
Veterans Health Administration VA New York Harbor Healthcare System, New York, New York 10010, USA
Acad Med 82:168-75. 2007..Overall, the program was somewhat effective at teaching systems-based practice. The authors believe the best way to enhance effectiveness is to build education into the system rather than rely on a separate system for education...
- Smokers' interest in quitting and services received: using practice information to plan quality improvement and policy for smoking cessationScott E Sherman
Veterans Health Administration Health Services Research and Development Service Center of Excellence for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Sepulveda, California, USA
Am J Med Qual 20:33-9. 2005..Tobacco control efforts within this population should focus on increasing the rate of assisting patients with quitting...
- Ethnic disparities in the use of nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation in an equal access health care systemSteven S Fu
Section of General Internal Medicine, Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Am J Health Promot 20:108-16. 2005..To examine ethnic variations in the use of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) in an equal access health care system...
- The impact of primary care resident physician training on patient weight loss at 12 monthsMelanie R Jay
New York University School of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 21:45-50. 2013..This study assessed whether a 5-h multimodal longitudinal obesity curriculum for residents on the basis of the 5As (assess, advise, agree, assist, and arrange) was associated with weight loss in their obese patients...
- Using standardized patients to train telephone counselors for a clinical trialErin S Rogers
VA NY Harbor Healthcare System, 423 East 23rd Street, New York, NY 10010, USA
BMC Res Notes 7:341. 2014....
- Smoking cessation care received by veterans with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseScott E Sherman
Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Sepulveda, CA 91343, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 40:1-12. 2003..The increase in cessation services received by smokers with COPD was noted primarily among smokers not interested in quitting. New approaches may be required, particularly to help smokers not interested in quitting...
- Improving recognition of depression in primary care: a study of evidence-based quality improvementScott E Sherman
VA Center for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior, Sepulveda, California, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Saf 30:80-8. 2004....
- National trends in the provision of smoking cessation aids within the Veterans Health AdministrationYvonne C Jonk
Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Minneapolis VA Medical Center, One Veterans Drive 1110, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:77-85. 2005....
- Listen to the consumer: designing a tailored smoking-cessation program for womenJUDITH R KATZBURG
UCLA Johnson and Johnson Healthcare Institute, UCLA Anderson School of Management, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Subst Use Misuse 43:1240-59. 2008..The study's implications and limitations are noted...
- Primary care provider attitudes are associated with smoking cessation counseling and referralLisa S Meredith
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, California 90407 2138, USA
Med Care 43:929-34. 2005..Most primary care providers (PCPs) endorse the importance of smoking cessation, but counseling rates are low. We evaluated the consistency of PCP's attitudes toward smoking cessation counseling and corresponding smoking-cessation behaviors...
- Smoking-cessation interventions by type of provider: a meta-analysisWalter A Mojica
Southern California Evidence Based Practice Center, RAND Health Division, Santa Monica, California, USA
Am J Prev Med 26:391-401. 2004..To synthesize the evidence on the effectiveness of smoking-cessation interventions by type of provider...
- Teaching resident physicians to provide exercise counseling: a needs assessmentLaura Q Rogers
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, IL 62794 9636, USA
Acad Med 77:841-4. 2002..To determine the behaviors, knowledge, and attitudes of resident physicians regarding exercise counseling...