- Infectious complications of dental and periodontal diseases in the elderly populationKenneth Shay
Geriatrics and Extended Care Service Line, Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, and University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1215-23. 2002..Bloodborne periodontopathic organisms may play a role in atherosclerosis. Daily oral hygiene practice and receipt of regular dental care are cost-effective means for minimizing morbidity of oral infections and their nonoral sequelae...
- Nosocomial pneumonia and oral healthKenneth Shay
Veterans Integrated Service Network 11, Dept of Veterans Affairs, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Spec Care Dentist 25:179-87. 2005..The goal of this review is to alert the reader to the role that oral disease and oral health play in fostering and preventing, respectively, widespread and potentially fatal pulmonary disease among high-risk individuals...
- The evolving impact of aging America on dental practiceKenneth Shay
Geriatrics and Extended Care Service Line, VA Health Services, Michigan, USA
J Contemp Dent Pract 5:101-10. 2004..Providers who seek an alternative approach for delivering their services will find growing demand for and satisfaction with traveling to patients, rather than the other way around...
- What predicts oral health stability in a long-term care population?Barbara J Smith
University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1078, USA
Spec Care Dentist 25:150-7. 2005..The data show that high levels of initial unmet needs were associated with difficulty achieving oral health stability for institutionalized elderly who routinely received comprehensive care...
- Oral health is cost-effective to maintain but costly to ignoreMargaret Terpenning
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:584-5. 2002
- Who is responsible for a nursing home resident's daily oral care?Kenneth Shay
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1470-1. 2007