Gary R Elkins
Affiliation: Scott and White Memorial Hospital
- Hypnotherapy for the management of chronic painGary Elkins
Texas A and M University College of Medicine, Scott and White Clinic and Hospital, Temple, Texas, USA
Int J Clin Exp Hypn 55:275-87. 2007..Implications of the findings for future clinical research and applications are discussed...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use by psychiatric inpatientsGary Elkins
Mind Body Cancer Research Program, Scott and White Memorial Hospital and Clinic, Temple 76508, USA
Psychol Rep 96:163-6. 2005..CAM therapies were used for a variety of reasons ranging from treatment of anxiety and depression to weight loss. However, most respondents indicated they did not discuss such use with their psychiatrist or psychotherapist...
- Clinical hypnosis for smoking cessation: preliminary results of a three-session interventionGary R Elkins
Texas A and M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine, USA
Int J Clin Exp Hypn 52:73-81. 2004..Most patients (95%) were satisfied with the treatment they received. Recommendations for future research to empirically evaluate this hypnosis treatment are discussed...
- Can hypnosis reduce hot flashes in breast cancer survivors? A literature reviewGary Elkins
Scott and White Hospital and Clinic, Temple, TX 76508, USA
Am J Clin Hypn 47:29-42. 2004..However this intervention has not been adequately studied. We discuss an NIH-funded randomized clinical trial of hypnosis for hot flashes in breast cancer survivors that is presently being conducted...
- Prevalence of anxiety among patients undergoing colorectal surgeryGary Elkins
Mind Body Health Research Program, Scott and White Memorial Hospital and Clinic, Temple, TX 76505, USA
Psychol Rep 95:657-8. 2004..The correlations for scores on presurgical Trait Anxiety with postsurgical pain and Trait Anxiety scores were significant (p<.01) but not that for pre- and postsurgical State Anxiety..
- Noncompliance with behavioral recommendations following bariatric surgeryGary Elkins
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Scott and White Memorial Hospital and Clinic, Scott, Temple, TX 76508, USA
Obes Surg 15:546-51. 2005..The purpose of this study was to examine the rate of noncompliance with behavioral recommendations and to identify the incidence of psychological concerns following bariatric surgery...
- Intensive hypnotherapy for smoking cessation: a prospective studyGary Elkins
Scott and White Memorial Hospital and Clinic, Temple, Texas, USA
Int J Clin Exp Hypn 54:303-15. 2006..The rates of point prevalence smoking cessation, as confirmed by carbon-monoxide measurements for the intensive hypnotherapy group, was 40% at the end of treatment; 60% at 12 weeks, and 40% at 26 weeks (p < .05)...
- Pilot evaluation of hypnosis for the treatment of hot flashes in breast cancer survivorsGary Elkins
Mind Body Cancer Research Program, Scott and White Memorial Hospital, Temple, TX, USA
Psychooncology 16:487-92. 2007..A randomized, controlled clinical trial is planned to more definitively elucidate the efficacy and applicability of hypnosis for reducing hot flashes...
- The integration of hypnosis into a model of palliative careJoel Marcus
Mind Body Cancer Research Program and Center for Cancer Prevention and Care, Scott and White Memorial Hospital and Clinic
Integr Cancer Ther 2:365-70. 2003..Other focuses include assisting the patient with the psychological adjustment to their noncurative and ultimately final state...
- Development of a model for a structured support group for patients following bariatric surgeryJoel D Marcus
Mind Body Health Research Program, Scott and White Memorial Hospital and Clinic, Scott, Sherwood and Bridley Foundation, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Temple, TX 76508, USA
Obes Surg 14:103-6. 2004..The current model of the group incorporates self-responsibility, aspects of the "relapse prevention" model, and group therapy processes. Additionally the group is flexible, to adapt to the needs of the evolving group membership...
- Hypnotherapy intervention for loin pain hematuria: a case studyGary R Elkins
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798, USA
Int J Clin Exp Hypn 60:111-20. 2012..At follow-up, results indicated clinically significant decreases in pain, anxiety, and depression with nearly complete remission of presenting symptoms...