Nina R Schooler
- Clinical predictors of response to clozapine treatment in ambulatory patients with schizophreniaDaniel S Umbricht
Department of Psychiatric Research, Psychiatric University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Psychiatry 63:420-4. 2002..Clinicians would be well served if clinical characteristics could be identified that predict a favorable response to clozapine. A few studies addressing this issue have reported inconsistent results...
- Paliperidone ER and oral risperidone in patients with schizophrenia: a comparative database analysisIbrahim Turkoz
Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, LLC, Titusville, New Jersey, USA
BMC Psychiatry 11:21. 2011..To compare the efficacy and tolerability of paliperidone extended-release (ER) with risperidone immediate-release using propensity score methodology...
- Relapse prevention and recovery in the treatment of schizophreniaNina R Schooler
Department of Psychiatry, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 3800 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:19-23. 2006....
- Implications for future research of "medication-free research in early episode schizophrenia"Nina R Schooler
VA Capitol Network, VISN 5, Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center, and Georgetown University School of Medicine, USA
Schizophr Bull 32:297-8. 2006
- The Texas Medication Algorithm Project antipsychotic algorithm for schizophrenia: 2006 updateTroy A Moore
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1751-62. 2007....
- A randomized controlled trial of long-acting injectable risperidone vs continuation on oral atypical antipsychotics for first-episode schizophrenia patients: initial adherence outcomePeter J Weiden
Center for Cognitive Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1397-406. 2009..We report on acceptance and initial adherence outcomes with risperidone long-acting injection (RLAI) in first-episode schizophrenia patients...
- Personality dimensions in first-episode psychosesMatcheri S Keshavan
Department of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:102-9. 2005..The authors compared the patterns and specificity of premorbid personality dimensions in first-episode schizophrenia patients with those in patients with first-episode nonschizophrenia psychoses and healthy comparison subjects...
- The effects of clozapine and risperidone on spatial working memory in schizophreniaSusan R McGurk
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Pl, New York, NY 10029, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1013-6. 2005..The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate the effects of clozapine and risperidone on spatial working memory in patients with schizophrenia...
- The cultural adaptability of intermediate measures of functional outcome in schizophreniaDawn I Velligan
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Schizophr Bull 38:630-41. 2012....
- Optimizing treatment of schizophrenia. Enhancing affective/cognitive and depressive functioningDavid L Ginsberg
Georgetown University School of Medicine, USA
CNS Spectr 10:1-13; discussion 14-15. 2005..Additionally, relative to older medications, atypicals have demonstrated benefit in improving some of the cognitive impairments...
- Randomized comparison of olanzapine versus risperidone for the treatment of first-episode schizophrenia: 4-month outcomesDelbert G Robinson
Department of Psychiatry, The Zucker Hillside Hospital of the North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:2096-102. 2006..The authors compared 4-month treatment outcomes for olanzapine versus risperidone in patients with first-episode schizophrenia spectrum disorders...
- Lipid monitoring in patients with schizophrenia prescribed second-generation antipsychoticsEllen M Weissman
Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center VISN 3, Bronx VA Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:1323-6. 2006....
- The Texas Medication Algorithm Project antipsychotic algorithm for schizophrenia: 2003 updateAlexander L Miller
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, MC 7792, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:500-8. 2004..This article reports the recommendations developed in 2002 and 2003 by a group of experts, clinicians, and administrators...
- Prolonged untreated illness duration from prodromal onset predicts outcome in first episode psychosesMatcheri S Keshavan
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Schizophr Bull 29:757-69. 2003..The latter, if true, would strongly support therapeutic intervention efforts in the prodromal and early psychotic phases of schizophrenia...
- Diagnostic specificity and neuroanatomical validity of neurological abnormalities in first-episode psychosesMatcheri S Keshavan
Department of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic and University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburg, PA 15213, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:1298-304. 2003..quot; This study examined the neuroanatomical correlates and diagnostic specificity of abnormal findings on the neurological examination in first-episode schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders...
- The Cognitive and Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia Trial (CONSIST): the efficacy of glutamatergic agents for negative symptoms and cognitive impairmentsRobert W Buchanan
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21228, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1593-602. 2007..Agents that act at the glycine site of the N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) glutamatergic receptor have been suggested as promising treatments for moderate to severe negative symptoms and cognitive impairments...
- Cognitive improvement after treatment with second-generation antipsychotic medications in first-episode schizophrenia: is it a practice effect?Terry E Goldberg
Zucker Hillside Hospital, 7559 263rd Street, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:1115-22. 2007..However, none of these studies included healthy controls undergoing repeated testing to assess the possibility that improvements might reflect simple practice effects...
- Duration of untreated psychosis and time to treatment response for delusions and hallucinationsHandan Gunduz-Bruce
VA Medical Center, Psychiatry Service 118A, 950 Campbell Ave, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1966-9. 2005..However, individual psychotic symptoms have not been investigated in this context. The authors examined the relationship between duration of untreated psychosis and time to response for hallucinations and delusions...
- Relationship between costs and symptoms in schizophrenia patients treated with antipsychotic medication: a reviewSerge Sevy
Zucker Hillside Hospital, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:756-65. 2004..The purpose of this review is to understand how changes in costs of illness are related to the effects of antipsychotic medications on symptoms in schizophrenia patients...
- The Mount Sinai conference on the pharmacotherapy of schizophreniaStephen R Marder
VA Desert Pacific Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center, West Los Angeles VA Health Care Center, CA 90073, USA
Schizophr Bull 28:5-16. 2002....
- Penultimate observation carried forward (POCF): a new approach to analysis of long-term symptom change in chronic relapsing conditionsRory O'Connor
Schizophr Res 60:319-20. 2003
- Relapse and rehospitalization: comparing oral and depot antipsychoticsNina R Schooler
Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 64:14-7. 2003..A recent formal meta-analytic review of depot medications concluded that this route of administration resulted in clinical advantages in terms of global outcome...
- Maintaining symptom control: review of ziprasidone long-term efficacy dataNina R Schooler
Department of Psychiatry Research, The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY 10004, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 64:26-32. 2003..Clinical trial data on ziprasidone's long-term efficacy provide a firm basis for selection of this agent...
- First administration of cytidine diphosphocholine and galantamine in schizophrenia: a sustained alpha7 nicotinic agonist strategyStephen I Deutsch
Mental Health Service Line, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Washington DC 20422, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 31:34-9. 2008..Three patients requested continuation of the adjunctive combination at the end of the trial. These results suggest further investigation of the combination of CDP-choline and galantamine as an alpha7 nAChR agonist intervention...
- Do clozapine and risperidone affect social competence and problem solving?Alan S Bellack
Mental Health Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Maryland Health Care System, Baltimore 21201, USA
Am J Psychiatry 161:364-7. 2004..The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate the effects of clozapine and risperidone on social skill and problem solving in patients with schizophrenia...
- Effects of CDP-choline and the combination of CDP-choline and galantamine differ in an animal model of schizophrenia: development of a selective alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist strategyStephen I Deutsch
Mental Health Service Line 116A, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 50 Irving Street, NW, Washington, DC 20422, United States
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:147-51. 2008....
- Gerard E. Hogarty (1935--2006): combining science and humanism to improve the care of persons with schizophreniaShaun M Eack
Schizophr Bull 33:1056-62. 2007....
- Physical health monitoring of patients with schizophreniaStephen R Marder
Department of Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, CA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 161:1334-49. 2004..The authors discuss a consensus panel's recommendations for improving the physical health monitoring of patients with schizophrenia who are treated in outpatient settings...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of modafinil for fatigue and cognition in schizophrenia patients treated with psychotropic medicationsSerge Sevy
The Zucker Hillside Hospital, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:839-43. 2005..To assess the effects of modafinil on fatigue, symptoms, attention, working memory, and executive functioning in schizophrenia patients treated with psychotropic medications...