Rainald Schmidt Kastner
- An environmental analysis of genes associated with schizophrenia: hypoxia and vascular factors as interacting elements in the neurodevelopmental modelR Schmidt-Kastner
Integrated Medical Science Department, CE Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
Mol Psychiatry 17:1194-205. 2012..Therefore, the extended gene set defined here may form a reasonable and evidence-based starting point for hypothesis-based testing of G × E interactions in clinical genetic and translational neuroscience studies...
- Astrocytes react to oligemia in the forebrain induced by chronic bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in ratsRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Department of Neurology, Cerebral Vascular Disease Research Center, D4 5, University of Miami School of Medicine, PO Box 016960, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Brain Res 1052:28-39. 2005..These results indicate that chronic BCCAO and, by inference, oligemia have a transient effect on the neocortex and a long-lasting effect on white matter structures...
- Nestin expression persists in astrocytes of organotypic slice cultures from rat cortexRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Department of Neurology D4 5, University of Miami School of Medicine, P O Box 016960, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Int J Dev Neurosci 20:29-38. 2002..This difference could be related to the altered trophic stimulation in vitro; differences in neuronal maturation, activity or survival; slow degeneration of the vasculature; or intrinsic properties of astrocytes...
- Nuclear localization of the hypoxia-regulated pro-apoptotic protein BNIP3 after global brain ischemia in the rat hippocampusRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Cerebral Vascular Disease Research Center, Department of Neurology D4 5, University of Miami School of Medicine, P O Box 016960, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Brain Res 1001:133-42. 2004..Nuclear location of BNIP3 after brain ischemia indicates a novel role for the regulation of cell survival in neurons or a general disturbance of the nuclear envelope...
- Neuroglobin mRNA expression after transient global brain ischemia and prolonged hypoxia in cell cultureRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Department of Neurology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Brain Res 1103:173-80. 2006..Therefore, it is unlikely that neuroglobin is instrumental in the acute response of neurons to hypoxic or ischemic insults, for which the mammalian brain is not adapted...
- DNA microarray analysis of cortical gene expression during early recirculation after focal brain ischemia in ratRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Department of Neurology D4 5, Cerebral Vascular Disease Research Center, University of Miami School of Medicine, P O Box 016960, FL 33101, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 108:81-93. 2002..DNA microarray analysis allows one to develop novel working hypotheses for responses to brain ischemia based on the regulation of annotated genes...
- Complex neurodegeneration in retina following moderate ischemia induced by bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in Wistar ratsHideo Yamamoto
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Ophthalmic Biophysics Center, University of Miami School of Medicine, P O Box 016880, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:767-79. 2006..In conclusion, chronic BCCAO produced delayed neuronal death in the retina of adult male Wistar rats. The window of moderate changes of at least 1 day may facilitate molecular studies on retinal ganglion cell loss...
- Moderate loss of cerebellar Purkinje cells after chronic bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in ratsOrsolya Kántor
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 113:549-58. 2007..Remodeling of the basilar artery indicated that secondary vascular perturbations might be responsible for the effects of BCCAO on the cerebellar Purkinje cells...
- Volume, neuron density and total neuron number in five subcortical regions in schizophreniaPawel Kreczmanski
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Division of Cellular Neuroscience, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Brain 130:678-92. 2007....
- Hypoxia-regulated components of the U4/U6.U5 tri-small nuclear riboprotein complex: possible role in autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosaRainald Schmidt-Kastner
Charles E Schmidt College of Biomedical Science, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
Mol Vis 14:125-35. 2008..U5 tri-snRNP complex...