Steven L Sayers
- Social support and self-care of patients with heart failureSteven L Sayers
Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Behav Med 35:70-9. 2008..Social support can influence treatment adherence of patients with chronic illnesses, which may explain the positive effects of social support on heart failure (HF) outcomes...
- Family problems among recently returned military veterans referred for a mental health evaluationSteven L Sayers
VISN 4 MIRECC 116, Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 70:163-70. 2009..Existing evidence suggests that military veterans with mental health disorders have poorer family functioning, although little research has focused on this topic...
- Psychiatric comorbidity and greater hospitalization risk, longer length of stay, and higher hospitalization costs in older adults with heart failureSteven L Sayers
VISN 4 Mental Illness, Research, Education and Clinical Center, Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1585-91. 2007..To explore associations between psychiatric comorbidity and rehospitalization risk, length of hospitalization, and costs...
- Double jeopardy: the influence of excessive daytime sleepiness and impaired cognition on health-related quality of life in adults with heart failureBarbara Riegel
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4217, USA
Eur J Heart Fail 14:730-6. 2012..To determine how excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) and impaired cognition contribute to health-related quality of life (HRQL) in heart failure (HF)...
- An assessment of suicide in an urban VA Medical CenterRichard Thompson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, Philadelphia VA Medical Center, USA
Psychiatry 65:327-37. 2002..These findings demonstrate the importance of acknowledging that risk factors for suicide are specific to sites or populations; this information can be used in allocating resources for developing site-specific strategies for prevention...
- Predictors of objectively measured medication nonadherence in adults with heart failureBarbara Riegel
Biobehavioral Research Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, 418 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4217, USA
Circ Heart Fail 5:430-6. 2012..Medication nonadherence rates are high. The factors predicting nonadherence in heart failure remain unclear...
- Determinants of excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue in adults with heart failureBarbara Riegel
School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4217, USA
Clin Nurs Res 21:271-93. 2012..04). Only sleep quality was associated with fatigue (p < .001). Sleep-disordered breathing was not significantly associated with EDS or with fatigue. These factors may be amenable to intervention...
- The family forum: directions for the implementation of family psychoeducation for severe mental illnessAmy N Cohen
Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Healthcare Center, Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:40-8. 2008..The article describes opportunities for the research and clinical communities to expand the proportion of families served...
- Clinical exacerbations as a surrogate end point in heart failure researchSteven L Sayers
Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Heart Lung 37:28-35. 2008..We examined the utility of an index of clinical exacerbations of heart failure (HF) as a surrogate measure of outcome for use in modestly sized clinical trials and observational studies...
- Primary care-mental health integration in healthcare in the Department of Veterans AffairsAndrew S Pomerantz
White River Junction VA Medical Center, VT, USA
Fam Syst Health 28:78-82. 2010..These efforts could represent a national model of PC-MHI implementation for health care systems throughout the U.S...
- Cocaine abuse in schizophrenic patients treated with olanzapine versus haloperidolSteven L Sayers
Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University and Woodland Avenues, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:379-86. 2005..Important study limitations include a small sample size and high attrition rates. Larger controlled studies are necessary to determine optimal antipsychotic therapy for patients with schizophrenia and comorbid cocaine abuse...
- Cause of death in veterans receiving general medical and mental health careRichard Thompson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania Health System, 3535 Market Street, Room 3400, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:789-92. 2002
- Excessive daytime sleepiness is associated with poor medication adherence in adults with heart failureBarbara Riegel
School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, 418 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Card Fail 17:340-8. 2011..We hypothesized that medication adherence would be poorer in adults with heart failure (HF) and EDS and that cognitive status would be the mechanism of effect...
- Family involvement in the care of healthy medical outpatientsSteven L Sayers
VISN 4 Mental Illness, Research, Education, and Clinical Center and the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, PA 19104, USA
Fam Pract 23:317-24. 2006..Although the involvement of patients' family members in office visits has been examined extensively, less is known about the involvement of family members in supporting patients' medical care outside of office visits...