Affiliation: Sarah Cannon Cancer Center
- Hainsworth J, Fizazi K. Treatment for patients with unknown primary cancer and favorable prognostic factors. Semin Oncol. 2009;36:44-51 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes current recommendations for the evaluation and treatment of patients in each of these favorable prognostic subsets. ..
- Spigel D, Hainsworth J, Shipley D, Mekhail T, Zubkus J, Waterhouse D, et al. Amrubicin and carboplatin with pegfilgrastim in patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer: A phase II trial of the Sarah Cannon Oncology Research Consortium. Lung Cancer. 2018;117:38-43 pubmed publisher..Severe myelosuppression was common with this regimen, in spite of prophylactic pegfilgrastim. These results are consistent with those of other trials in showing no role for amrubicin in the first-line treatment of SCLC. ..
- Hainsworth J, Shih K, Shepard G, Tillinghast G, Brinker B, Spigel D. Phase II study of concurrent radiation therapy, temozolomide, and bevacizumab followed by bevacizumab/everolimus as first-line treatment for patients with glioblastoma. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2012;10:240-6 pubmed..Ongoing randomized phase III trials will clarify the role of bevacizumab in this setting. ..
- Hainsworth J, Cebotaru C, Kanarev V, Ciuleanu T, Damyanov D, Stella P, et al. A phase II, open-label, randomized study to assess the efficacy and safety of AZD6244 (ARRY-142886) versus pemetrexed in patients with non-small cell lung cancer who have failed one or two prior chemotherapeutic regimens. J Thorac Oncol. 2010;5:1630-6 pubmed publisher..Based on preclinical data and recent clinical observations, further development of AZD6244 in NSCLC should focus on BRAF or RAS mutation-positive patients and/or AZD6244-based combination regimens. ..
- Hainsworth J, Spigel D, Greco F, Shipley D, Peyton J, Rubin M, et al. Combined modality treatment with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, bevacizumab, and erlotinib in patients with locally advanced squamous carcinoma of the head and neck: a phase II trial of the Sarah Cannon oncology research consortium. Cancer J. 2011;17:267-72 pubmed publisher..The high level of efficacy suggests that incorporation of these targeted agents into first-line therapy should be further explored. ..
- Hainsworth J, Infante J, Spigel D, Arrowsmith E, Boccia R, Burris H. A phase II trial of panobinostat, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, in the treatment of patients with refractory metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Invest. 2011;29:451-5 pubmed publisher..Panobinostat was generally well-tolerated. Panobinostat had no activity in this group of patients with refractory renal carcinoma. Further development of panobinostat in renal carcinoma is not recommended. ..
- Hainsworth J, Spigel D, Burris H, Waterhouse D, Clark B, Whorf R. Phase II trial of bevacizumab and everolimus in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2131-6 pubmed publisher..The benefits of this combination regimen, versus sequential use of these two agents, requires further study. ..
- Hainsworth J, Ervin T, Friedman E, Priego V, Murphy P, Clark B, et al. Concurrent radiotherapy and temozolomide followed by temozolomide and sorafenib in the first-line treatment of patients with glioblastoma multiforme. Cancer. 2010;116:3663-9 pubmed publisher..The administration of angiogenesis inhibitors concurrently with radiotherapy and temozolomide may optimize the opportunity to improve therapy. ..
- Hainsworth J. Diagnosis, staging, and clinical characteristics of the patient with mediastinal germ cell carcinoma. Chest Surg Clin N Am. 2002;12:665-72 pubmed..Further details regarding the treatment of mediastinal germ cell tumors are presented elsewhere in this issue. ..
- Hainsworth J, Erland J, Barton J, Thompson D, Stagg M, Bradof J, et al. Combination treatment with weekly docetaxel and gemcitabine for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer in elderly patients and patients with poor performance status: results of a Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network phase II trial. Clin Lung Cancer. 2003;5:33-8 pubmed..A randomized comparison of this regimen versus single-agent weekly docetaxel is in progress...
- Hainsworth J, Mainwaring M, Thomas M, Porter L, Gian V, Jones S, et al. Gefitinib in the treatment of advanced, refractory non-small-cell lung cancer: results in 124 patients. Clin Lung Cancer. 2003;4:347-55 pubmed..A therapeutic trial of gefitinib should be considered in all patients with refractory NSCLC...
- Hainsworth J, Greco F. The role of weekly docetaxel in the treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer. 2002;3 Suppl 2:S17-22 pubmed..Addition of various targeted agents (eg, epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors, antiangiogenesis agents) also merits evaluation...
- Spigel D, Rubin M, Gian V, Shipley D, Burris H, Kosloff R, et al. Sorafenib and continued erlotinib or sorafenib alone in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer progressing on erlotinib: A randomized phase II study of the Sarah Cannon Research Institute (SCRI). Lung Cancer. 2017;113:79-84 pubmed publisher..Both regimens tested had limited efficacy, consistent with results from other studies. ClinicalTrials.gov ID:NCT00609804. ..
- Hainsworth J, Spigel D, Raefsky E, Kuzur M, Yost K, Kommor M, et al. Combination chemotherapy with gemcitabine and irinotecan in patients with previously treated carcinoma of an unknown primary site: a Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network Phase II trial. Cancer. 2005;104:1992-7 pubmed..The current study was performed to evaluate the activity of combination chemotherapy with gemcitabine and irinotecan in patients with previously treated carcinoma of an unknown primary site...
- Hainsworth J, Spigel D, Farley C, Thompson D, Shipley D, Greco F. Phase II trial of bevacizumab and erlotinib in carcinomas of unknown primary site: the Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:1747-52 pubmed..We therefore have evaluated the efficacy and toxicity of this combination in patients with CUP...
- Hainsworth J, Spigel D, Litchy S, Greco F. Phase II trial of paclitaxel, carboplatin, and etoposide in advanced poorly differentiated neuroendocrine carcinoma: a Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network Study. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:3548-54 pubmed..To evaluate the efficacy of chemotherapy with paclitaxel, carboplatin, and etoposide in advanced adult poorly differentiated neuroendocrine carcinomas...
- Hainsworth J, Murphy P, Alemar J, Daniel B, Young R, Yardley D. Use of a multiplexed immunoassay (PRO Onc assay) to detect HER2 abnormalities in circulating tumor cells of women with HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer: lack of response to HER2-targeted therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016;160:41-49 pubmed..However, HER2-targeted therapy was not effective in such patients. FISH and IHC staining remain the standards for HER2 determination. ..