P J Quintana
Affiliation: San Diego State University
- Wipe sampling for nicotine as a marker of thirdhand tobacco smoke contamination on surfaces in homes, cars, and hotelsPenelope J E Quintana
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 4162, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 15:1555-63. 2013..This persistent residue is known as thirdhand smoke (THS). Here, we detail a simple method of wipe sampling for nicotine as a marker of accumulated THS on surfaces...
- Tobacco use and asking prices of used cars: prevalence, costs, and new opportunities for changing smoking behaviorGeorg E Matt
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, USA
Tob Induc Dis 4:2. 2008..New directions for research, tobacco control policies, and health education are discussed to further reduce smoking behavior, to help consumers make informed purchasing decisions, and to protect nonsmokers from SHS exposure...
- Gossypol-induced DNA breaks in rat lymphocytes are secondary to cytotoxicityP J Quintana
Division of Occupational and Environmental Health, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Dr HT 119, San Diego, CA 92182 4162, USA
Toxicol Lett 117:85-94. 2000..We conclude that gossypol is not primarily genotoxic in this cell type, and that the DNA breaks observed arose secondary to cytotoxicity...
- Adipose tissue levels of organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphomaPenelope J E Quintana
San Diego State University Graduate School of Public Health, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 4162, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:854-61. 2004..Given the persistence of pesticides in the environment, these findings are still relevant today...
- Evaluation of a real-time passive personal particle monitor in fixed site residential indoor and ambient measurementsP J Quintana
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, California 92182 4162, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 10:437-45. 2000..66 vs. 0.13 for outdoors, r2 = 0.42 vs. 0.20 for indoors). The pDR appears to be a useful tool for an epidemiologic study that aims to examine the relationship between health outcomes and personal exposure to peaks in PM...
- Monitoring of 1-min personal particulate matter exposures in relation to voice-recorded time-activity dataP J Quintana
Division of Occupational and Environmental Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, California, 92182-4162, USA
Environ Res 87:199-213. 2001..This study demonstrates the utility of the pDR in identifying patterns of personal exposures to particulate matter and especially in registering the magnitude and duration of excursions in PM in relation to location and activity...
- The variability of urinary cotinine levels in young children: implications for measuring ETS exposureGeorg E Matt
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego 92182 4611, CA, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:83-92. 2007....
- Residual tobacco smoke pollution in used cars for sale: air, dust, and surfacesGeorg E Matt
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 4611, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:1467-75. 2008..Disclosure requirements and smoke-free certifications could help protect nonsmoking buyers of used cars...
- When smokers move out and non-smokers move in: residential thirdhand smoke pollution and exposureGeorg E Matt
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 4611, USA
Tob Control 20:e1. 2011..This study examined whether thirdhand smoke (THS) persists in smokers' homes after they move out and non-smokers move in, and whether new non-smoking residents are exposed to THS in these homes...
- Compliance with federal and state legislation by indoor tanning facilities in San DiegoC A Culley
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, CA, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 44:53-60. 2001..CONCLUSION: The investigators recommend instituting mandatory, comprehensive training for operators, as well as systematic compliance monitoring with enforcement of penalties for noncompliance...
- Evaluation and quality control of personal nephelometers in indoor, outdoor and personal environmentsChang Fu Wu
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 15:99-110. 2005..We also recommend that outdoor pDRs be operated in the active mode without a heater and that the RH effect be corrected with an RH correction equation...
- Association of FEV1 in asthmatic children with personal and microenvironmental exposure to airborne particulate matterRalph J Delfino
Epidemiology Division, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of California at Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:932-41. 2004..FEV1 was weakly associated with NO2 but not with O3. Results suggest mixed respiratory effects of PM in asthmatic children from both ambient background exposures and personal exposures in various microenvironments...