Simon J Marshall
Affiliation: San Diego State University
- A descriptive epidemiology of screen-based media use in youth: a review and critiqueSimon J Marshall
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 7251, USA
J Adolesc 29:333-49. 2006..For children with access to a television set, the number of hours spent viewing does not appear to have increased over the past 50 years...
- Family circumstance, sedentary behaviour and physical activity in adolescents living in England: Project STILTrish Gorely
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6:33. 2009..abstract:..
- Translating physical activity recommendations into a pedometer-based step goal: 3000 steps in 30 minutesSimon J Marshall
School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 7251, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:410-5. 2009..Translating current physical activity recommendations into a pedometer-based guideline could increase the public health impact of physical activity interventions...
- Race/ethnicity, social class, and leisure-time physical inactivitySimon J Marshall
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, 5000 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:44-51. 2007....
- Evaluation of a multi-component group exercise program for adults with arthritis: Fitness and Exercise for People with Arthritis (FEPA)Susan S Levy
San Diego State University, School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego, CA 92182 7251, USA
Disabil Health J 5:305-11. 2012....
- The relation of medical conditions to depressive symptoms among Latinos: leisure time physical activity as a mediatorElva M Arredondo
San Diego State University, San Diego 92104, USA
J Health Psychol 17:742-52. 2012..In other words, people with hypertension who engaged in vigorous PA reported less depressive symptoms. PA may be a promising avenue for improving hypertension and depressive symptoms...
- Evaluation of a two-year middle-school physical education intervention: M-SPANThomas L McKenzie
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 7251, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1382-8. 2004..We developed, implemented, and assessed an intervention to increase physical activity during middle-school PE classes...
- Environmental interventions for eating and physical activity: a randomized controlled trial in middle schoolsJames F Sallis
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92103, USA
Am J Prev Med 24:209-17. 2003..Our objective was to evaluate the effects of environmental, policy, and social marketing interventions on physical activity and fat intake of middle school students on campus...
- What do middle school children bring in their bag lunches?Terry L Conway
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, California, 92123, USA
Prev Med 34:422-7. 2002....
- Metabolism and breast cancer risk: frontiers in research and practiceRuth E Patterson
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Moores UCSD Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0901, USA
J Acad Nutr Diet 113:288-96. 2013..As these relationships become clearer, future studies will be needed to develop effective intervention programs to prevent breast cancer and improve cancer prognosis by promoting a healthy lifestyle...
- Using step cadence goals to increase moderate-to-vigorous-intensity physical activitySimon J Marshall
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 45:592-602. 2013..Pedometers are evidence-based devices for increasing daily activity, but studies have not evaluated the comparative efficacy of step cadence goals for increasing MVPA...
- Sleep, type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia, and hypertension in elderly Alzheimer's caregiversJennifer Schwartz
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego, Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health, San Diego, CA, United States
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 57:70-7. 2013..As several of the associations demonstrated clinically relevant magnitudes of the associations, larger studies to more fully test these hypotheses are warranted...
- Weight-related child behavioral interventions in Brazil: a systematic reviewSimon J Marshall
Institute for Behavioral and Community Health, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:543-9. 2013..A systematic review was conducted between January 2010 and December 2011 of obesity-related interventions targeting Brazilian children and adolescents...
- The relation of leptin and insulin with obesity-related cardiovascular risk factors in US adultsJared P Reis
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, 0607, La Jolla, CA 92093 0607, USA
Atherosclerosis 200:150-60. 2008..However, we cannot rule out the possibility that leptin and insulin influence cardiovascular risk in women through independent effects on fibrinogen concentrations...
- The prevalence of leisure time sedentary behaviour and physical activity in adolescent girls: an ecological momentary assessment approachTrish Gorely
British Heart Foundation National Centre for Physical Activity and Health, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leics, UK
Int J Pediatr Obes 2:227-34. 2007..To use ecological momentary assessment to describe how adolescent girls in the United Kingdom spend their leisure time...
- Short-term changes in sedentary behaviour during adolescence: Project STIL (Sedentary Teenagers and Inactive Lifestyles)Ian D Murdey
Department of Human Sciences, Loughborough University, UK
Ann Hum Biol 32:283-96. 2005..Changes in body composition and body image during puberty will impact on sedentary behavioural choices...
- Tackling the obesity pandemic: a call for sedentary behaviour researchPaul A Spanier
Graduate Department of Exercise Sciences, University of Toronto, ON
Can J Public Health 97:255-7. 2006....
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between TV viewing and girls' body mass index, overweight status, and percentage of body fatKirsten Krahnstoever Davison
University at Albany, SUNY, Albany, New York, USA
J Pediatr 149:32-7. 2006..To assess cross-sectional and longitudinal relations between television (TV) viewing and girls' body mass index (BMI), weight status, and percentage of body fat...
- Couch kids: correlates of television viewing among youthTrish Gorely
British Heart Foundation National Centre for Physical Activity and Health, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
Int J Behav Med 11:152-63. 2004..Few modifiable correlates have been identified. Further research should aim to identify modifiable correlates of TV/video viewing if interventions are to be successfully tailored to reduce this aspect of inactivity among youth...
- Physical activity and sedentary behaviours in youth: issues and controversiesStuart J Biddle
Loughborough University, UK
J R Soc Promot Health 124:29-33. 2004..Preliminary findings from Project STIL suggest that inactivity is more complex that we sometimes think. Indeed, measures of 'couch potato-ism', such as TV viewing, may be inappropriate markers of inactivity...
- Participation in extracurricular physical activity programs at middle schoolsHolly S Powers
Community Pediatrics at the University of California San Diego, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 73:187-92. 2002
- Patterns of sedentary behaviour and physical activity among adolescents in the United Kingdom: Project STILTrish Gorely
British Heart Foundation National Centre for Physical Activity and Health, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leics LE11 3TU, UK
J Behav Med 30:521-31. 2007..Further research is required to examine the modifiable determinants of different sedentary lifestyles among young people...