Affiliation: San Francisco General Hospital
- Assessment of rapid tests for detection of human immunodeficiency virus-specific antibodies in recently infected individualsBrian Louie
San Francisco Department of Public Health, 101 Grove St, Room 412, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:1494-7. 2008..We found that the sensitivities of the various rapid tests vary greatly with regard to their ability to detect HIV-specific antibodies in recently infected individuals...
- Use of an acute seroconversion panel to evaluate a third-generation enzyme-linked immunoassay for detection of human immunodeficiency virus-specific antibodies relative to multiple other assaysBrian Louie
San Francisco Department of Public Health, 101 Grove St, Rm 412, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:1856-8. 2006..The HIV-1/HIV-2 PLUS O EIA showed an improved sensitivity over all tested antibody screening methods, and detected antibody in 7 of 19 specimens found to be negative by a first-generation EIA but positive for the presence of HIV RNA...
- Recent HIV-1 infection detection: comparison of incidence estimates derived by laboratory assays and repeat testing dataHong Ha M Truong
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:502-5. 2009..We compared HIV-1 incidence estimates derived from 3 different methods: Vironostika-less sensitive, BED capture enzyme immuno assay (BED-CEIA), and repeat testing history...
- Exploring the relationship between sexually transmitted diseases and HIV acquisition by using different study designsNicola M Zetola
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 50:546-51. 2009..In an attempt to overcome prior methodologic shortcomings, we explored the use of different study designs to examine the relationship between STDs and HIV acquisition...
- Assessment of sensitivity and specificity of first, second, and third generation EIA for the detection of antibodies to HIV-1 in oral fluidBrian Louie
San Francisco Department of Public Health Laboratory, 101 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
J Virol Methods 159:119-21. 2009..Notably, a third generation EIA which has been shown to possess superior sensitivity for antibody detection in plasma appears to possess no sensitivity advantage for detecting HIV-1 antibody in oral fluid...
- Frequent international travel by men who have sex with men recently diagnosed with HIV-1: potential for transmission of primary HIV-1 drug resistanceHong M Truong
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Travel Med 15:454-6. 2008..Given the high frequency of international travel and prevalence of primary HIV-1 drug resistance among study participants, prevention strategies should incorporate specific counseling on risk of cross-border transmission...
- Routine surveillance for the detection of acute and recent HIV infections and transmission of antiretroviral resistanceHong Ha M Truong
University of California San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
AIDS 20:2193-7. 2006..To estimate the rate of acute and recent HIV infections and the prevalence of primary antiretroviral resistance...
- Assessment of the ability of a fourth-generation immunoassay for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibody and p24 antigen to detect both acute and recent HIV infections in a high-risk settingMark W Pandori
San Francisco Department of Public Health, CA 94102, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:2639-42. 2009....
- HIV sentinel surveillance among women seeking elective pregnancy termination, San FranciscoEleanor A Drey
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Sex Transm Dis 32:590-2. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Women electing pregnancy termination can serve as a sentinel population to track trends in the HIV epidemic. However, barriers remain to wider implementation of the approach as a surveillance tool...
- An opportunity for prevention: prevalence, incidence, and sexual risk for HIV among young Asian and Pacific Islander men who have sex with men, San FranciscoKyung Hee Choi
University of California, San Francisco Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, San Francisco, California 94105, USA
Sex Transm Dis 31:475-80. 2004..We investigated HIV prevalence and incidence and related risk factors among young Asian and Pacific Islander (API) men who have sex with men (MSM)...
- Screening and confirmation of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection solely by detection of RNAAlyssa Ren
San Francisco Department of Public Health Laboratory, 101 Grove St, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
J Med Microbiol 57:1228-33. 2008..These data indicate that screening and confirmation of HIV infection by RNA methods alone, if affordable, may constitute an effective alternative HIV diagnostic algorithm in certain settings...
- Leveraging a rapid, round-the-clock HIV testing system to screen for acute HIV infection in a large urban public medical centerKaterina A Christopoulos
HIV AIDS Division, Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94114, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 62:e30-8. 2013..To describe the prevalence and location of new and acute HIV diagnoses in a large urban medical center. Secondary objectives were to evaluate rapid HIV test performance, the added yield of acute HIV screening, and linkage-to-care outcomes...
- Prevalence and correlates of unknown HIV infection among patients seeking care in a public hospital emergency departmentNicola M Zetola
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Public Health Rep 123:41-50. 2008..To evaluate the potential for the implementation of routine screening, we determined the prevalence of unknown HIV infection among patients being seen in an urban public hospital ED...
- Low incidence and prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection among sexually active non-intravenous drug-using adults, San Francisco, 1997-2000Gwendolyn P Hammer
San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California
Sex Transm Dis 30:919-24. 2003..The rate of sexual transmission of hepatitis C virus (HCV) is debated...
- Characteristics of persons with recently acquired HIV infection: application of the serologic testing algorithm for recent HIV seroconversion in 10 US citiesSandra Schwarcz
San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:112-5. 2007..Information about the characteristics of persons whose HIV diagnosis was made soon after infection contributes to a better understanding of the HIV epidemic and to appropriate targeting of care and prevention efforts...
- Characterization of sexually transmitted disease clinic patients with recent human immunodeficiency virus infectionSandra K Schwarcz
AIDS Office, San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California 94102, USA
J Infect Dis 186:1019-22. 2002..20-7.45) or gonorrhea (OR, 3.03 95% CI, 1.07-8.63) predicted the predominance of a recent seroconversion. HIV infections in San Francisco may be shifting from white men who have sex with men to men of color who have sex with men...
- Hepatitis C infection among men who have sex with men, San Francisco, 2011H Fisher Raymond
From the San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:985-6. 2012..Hepatitis C virus infection was found among men who have sex with men with a history of intravenous drug use and those who were already human immunodeficiency virus infected...
- Determination of patient quality of life following severe acute pancreatitisDavid Hochman
Department of Surgery, University of Alberta Hospital, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton, AB
Can J Surg 49:101-6. 2006..Clinical experience suggests a significantly reduced quality of life for patients, but few studies exist to confirm this experience. We sought to objectively demonstrate patient quality of life after severe acute pancreatitis...