Affiliation: San Francisco State University
- Developing the complementary and alternative medicine education infrastructure: baccalaureate programs in the United StatesAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Healing Studies, Department of Health Education, San Francisco State University, 1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
J Altern Complement Med 10:1115-21. 2004..This paper examines baccalaureate programs, looking at the prevalence and characteristics of CAM and holistic health training in the United States...
- Adequacy of state capacity to address noncommunicable disease clusters in the era of environmental public health trackingNadia Shalauta Juzych
Michigan Public Health Institute, Okemos, Mich 48304, USA
Am J Public Health 97:S163-9. 2007..We sought to assess the capacity of state public health agencies to address noncommunicable disease clusters (NCCs) and to develop recommendations to enhance agencies' NCC response capacity...
- Comparing individual preferences for four meditation techniques: Zen, Vipassana (Mindfulness), Qigong, and MantraAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Health Studies, Department of Health Education, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA, USA
Explore (NY) 8:237-42. 2012..As preference is seen as an important factor in consumer healthcare decision making, greater understanding of this aspect is needed as meditation becomes a more widely used therapeutic modality...
- Characteristics of college students enrolled in an alternative health/complementary and alternative medicine course: a cross-sectional comparisonAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Health Studies, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
Explore (NY) 5:45-50. 2009..This would capitalize on growing consumer interest in alternative health practices and on the observed relationship between the use of alternative health practices and conventional preventive health behaviors...
- Acupuncture use in the United States: findings from the National Health Interview SurveyAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Healing Studies, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:639-48. 2006..To improve understanding of its role in personal health care, an analysis of national data was conducted to examine user sociodemographics, conditions treated, and the relationship of use with conventional Western medical care...
- Exploring the role of complementary and alternative medicine in public health practice and trainingAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Healing Studies, Department of Health Education, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:931-6. 2005..Although conventional medicine has responded actively, the response from public health has been far less pronounced. To examine the potential for integrating CAM into public health contexts, an exploratory survey was conducted...
- Traditional medicine in China today: implications for indigenous health systems in a modern worldAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Healing Studies, Department of Health Education, San Francisco State University, CA 94132, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1082-4. 2003
- Cumulative trauma disorder risk for children using computer products: results of a pilot investigation with a student convenience sampleAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Healing Studies Health Education, San Francisco State Univ, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
Public Health Rep 117:350-7. 2002..This investigation examined issues related to child/adolescent computer product use and upper body physical discomfort...
- Teaching patients how to talk with biomedical providers about their complementary and alternative medicine useEvelyn Y Ho
Department of Communication Studies, University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
Patient Educ Couns 89:405-10. 2012....
- Exploring the prevalence of Ayurveda use among Asian IndiansYumi E Satow
Department of Consumer and Family Studies Dietetics, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
J Altern Complement Med 14:1249-53. 2008..Recent reports of heavy metal contamination of some imported Ayurveda products underscore this need. For this reason, an exploratory survey was conducted...
- Uncovering the historic environmental hazards of urban brownfieldsJill S Litt
Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Urban Health 79:464-81. 2002....
- Comparison of the baseline cardiovascular risk profile among hypertensive patients prescribed COX-2-specific inhibitors or nonspecific NSAIDs: data from real-life practiceSean Z Zhao
Pharmacia Corporation, Peapack, New Jersey, USA
Am J Manag Care 8:S392-400. 2002....
- Physician-reported management of edema and destabilized blood pressure in cyclooxygenase-2-specific inhibitor users with osteoarthritis and treated hypertensionJane T Osterhaus
Wasatch Health Outcomes, Park City, Utah 84060, USA
Clin Ther 24:969-89. 2002..The addition of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug to the regimen of a patient with treated hypertension can cause a destabilization of blood pressure...
- The Work Limitations Questionnaire's validity and reliability among patients with osteoarthritisDebra Lerner
The Health Institute, Division of Clinical Care Research, Department of Medicine, New England Medical Center, and The Tufts University School of Medicine and the Sackler School of Biomedical Sciences, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 55:197-208. 2002..The WLQ is an accurate and reliable source of information for assessing the work impact of OA...