Affiliation: San Diego State University
- A tri-ethnic examination of symptom expression on the positive and negative syndrome scale in schizophrenia spectrum disordersConcepcion Barrio
School of Social Work, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, 92182 4119, San Diego, CA, USA
Schizophr Res 60:259-69. 2003..The cultural implications for the ethnic differences in each symptom behavior and the need for further research on symptom expression from an ethnographic perspective are discussed...
- Ethnic disparities in use of public mental health case management services among patients with schizophreniaConcepcion Barrio
School of Social Work, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 4119, USA
Psychiatr Serv 54:1264-70. 2003....
- A longitudinal study of the use of mental health services by persons with serious mental illness: do Spanish-speaking Latinos differ from English-speaking Latinos and Caucasians?David P Folsom
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1173-80. 2007..The authors used the administrative database of a mental health system to conduct a longitudinal examination of mental health service use among Spanish-speaking versus English-speaking Latinos and Caucasians with serious mental illness...
- Tri-ethnic variations of co-morbid substance and alcohol use disorders in schizophreniaLori P Montross
University of California San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry 116A 1, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Schizophr Res 79:297-305. 2005....
- Unmet needs for mental health services for latino older adults: perspectives from consumers, family members, advocates, and service providersConcepcion Barrio
School of Social Work, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0411, USA
Community Ment Health J 44:57-74. 2008..Latino older adults experienced their unmet needs in ways associated with their cultural background and minority status. Age- and culturally-appropriate services are needed to overcome these barriers...
- Adherence to antipsychotics among Latinos and Asians with schizophrenia and limited English proficiencyTodd P Gilmer
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0622, USA
Psychiatr Serv 60:175-82. 2009....
- Intrinsic motivation as a mediator of relationships between symptoms and functioning among individuals with schizophrenia spectrum disorders in a diverse urban communityAnn Marie Yamada
School of Social Work, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 198:28-34. 2010..05), but no moderation effect was indicated. The strong mediation effect schizophrenia of motivation on the symptoms-functioning relationship supports future work to translate findings into effective recovery-oriented services...
- A lifestyle intervention for older schizophrenia patients with diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trialChristine L McKibbin
University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Schizophr Res 86:36-44. 2006..We tested the feasibility and preliminary efficacy of a lifestyle intervention for middle-aged and older patients with schizophrenia and type-2 diabetes mellitus, using a randomized pre-test, post-test control group design...
- Cross-ethnic evaluation of psychotic symptom content in hospitalized middle-aged and older adultsAnn Marie Yamada
School of Social Work, University of Southern California, 669 W 34th St, MRF 102C, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 28:161-8. 2006....
- Cultural values and caregiver preference for Mexican-American and non-Latino White eldersJong W Min
San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Dr, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
J Cross Cult Gerontol 24:225-39. 2009..The need for culturally-relevant services based on caregiver preference for long-term care is discussed in addressing health disparities for ethnically diverse elders...
- The relationship between functional capacity and community responsibilities in middle-aged and older Latinos of Mexican origin with chronic psychosisVeronica Cardenas
Department of Psychiatry 0680, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0680, United States
Schizophr Res 98:209-16. 2008..e., UPSA scores) may be associated with increased capacity for greater community involvement in this population...
- Cost-sharing requirements and access to mental health care among medicare enrollees with schizophreniaEric P Slade
Department of Psychiatry of the School of Medicine, University of Maryland, 737 West Lombard Street, Room 526, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:960-6. 2005..This study explored the association between Medicare cost-sharing requirements and the probability of use of various mental health outpatient services among Medicare enrollees with schizophrenia...
- Development and pilot testing of a new psychosocial intervention for older Latinos with chronic psychosisThomas L Patterson
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, USA
Schizophr Bull 31:922-30. 2005....
- Measures and predictors of community-based employment and earnings of persons with schizophrenia in a multisite studyDavid S Salkever
Department of Public Policy, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Public Policy 418, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Psychiatr Serv 58:315-24. 2007..Data from a national study of persons with schizophrenia-related disorders were examined to determine clinical factors and labor-market conditions related to employment outcomes...