Genomes and Genes
San Diego State University
Organization: San Diego State University
- Predictors of death and survival duration among a sample of persons living With HIV/AIDSThom Reilly
School of Social Work, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 4119, USA
Soc Work Health Care 49:783-98. 2010....
- Demography of exercise among Californians of Korean descent: a cross-sectional telephone surveyC Richard Hofstetter
Department of Political Science, Graduate School of Public Health, Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health, San Diego State University, 9245 Sky Park Court, Suite 230, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 10:53-65. 2008..Interventions to promote physical activity should be adapted not only for the Korean culture but also for specific subgroups defined demographically...
- The neural correlates of sign versus word productionKaren Emmorey
Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience, San Diego State University, 6495 Alvarado Road, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Neuroimage 36:202-8. 2007..g., selection of hand configuration and place of articulation features), whereas activation within SPL may reflect proprioceptive monitoring of motoric output...
- Putting longline bycatch of sea turtles into perspectiveRebecca L Lewison
Biology Department, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
Conserv Biol 21:79-86. 2007..Until gillnet and trawl fisheries are subject to the same level of scrutiny given to pelagic longlines, our understanding of the overall impact of fisheries bycatch on vulnerable sea turtle populations will be incomplete...
- Evaluation of urinary trans-3'-hydroxycotinine as a biomarker of children's environmental tobacco smoke exposureG E Matt
Department of Psychology, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego, CA, USA
Biomarkers 11:507-23. 2006..Moreover, 3HC/COT may provide a useful indicator to investigate age- and race-related differences in the metabolism of COT and 3HC...
- Interval estimation of risk ratio in the simple compliance randomized trialKung Jong Lui
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 7720, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 28:120-9. 2007..We include an example regarding the study of vitamin A supplementation to reduce the mortality among preschool children to illustrate the use of interval estimators discussed in this paper...
- Molecular phylogenetics of the spider infraorder Mygalomorphae using nuclear rRNA genes (18S and 28S): conflict and agreement with the current system of classificationMarshal Hedin
San Diego State University, Department of Biology, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 41:454-71. 2006....
- Evaluating and developing a multidimensional, dispositional measure of appraisalScott C Roesch
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, CA 92182 4611, USA
J Pers Assess 85:188-96. 2005..These findings suggest that meaningful dispositional dimensions of appraisal can be derived and incorporated into trait-state models of the stress process...
- Critical consciousness, accountability, and empowerment: key processes for helping families healPilar Hernandez
Marriage and Family Therapy Program, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 1170, USA
Fam Process 44:105-19. 2005....
- Behavioral counseling for reducing children's ETS exposure: implementation in community clinicsJoy M Zakarian
Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, CA 92123, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 6:1061-74. 2004..Implications for future effectiveness trials are discussed...
- ERP, fMRI and functional connectivity studies of brain response to odor in normal aging and Alzheimer's diseaseClaire Murphy
San Diego State University and the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA 92120-4913, USA
Chem Senses 30:i170-1. 2005
- Nontraditional models of care delivery: have they solved the problems?Sandra Lookinland
School of Nursing, San Diego State University, CA 92182, USA
J Nurs Adm 35:74-80. 2005..These models and their driving forces are described. Indicators of success, including quality, cost, and satisfaction, are also examined...
- Coeducational and single-sex physical education in middle schools: impact on physical activityThomas L McKenzie
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, CA 92182-7251, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 75:446-9. 2004
- Relationships between media use, body fatness and physical activity in children and youth: a meta-analysisS J Marshall
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 7251, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:1238-46. 2004..To review the empirical evidence of associations between television (TV) viewing, video/computer game use and (a) body fatness, and (b) physical activity...
- "AKT"ing lessons for stem cells: regulation of cardiac myocyte and progenitor cell proliferationMark Sussman
Department of Biology, SDSU Heart Institute, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 17:235-40. 2007....
- Heart mitochondria: gates of life and deathAsa B Gustafsson
BioScience Center San Diego State University 5500 Campanile Drive San Diego, CA 92182 4650, USA
Cardiovasc Res 77:334-43. 2008..In this review, we discuss the role of mitochondria in the control of cell death in cardiac myocytes...
- Perceived environmental predictors of physical activity over 6 months in adults: activity counseling trialJames F Sallis
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, 3900 Fifth Avenue, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Health Psychol 26:701-9. 2007..In the present study, the authors extend previous cross-sectional findings by using a prospective design to determine whether physical and social environmental characteristics predict physical activity over 6 months...
- European materia medica in historical texts: longevity of a tradition and implications for future usePaula de Vos
History Department, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 6050, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 132:28-47. 2010..Thus researchers have been prompted to use historical medical texts, as this study does, to find potential sources of new drugs...
- Fourier transform pupil functions for modifying the depth of focus of optical imaging systemsJeffrey A Davis
Department of Physics, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182, USA
Appl Opt 48:4893-8. 2009..Finally we multiply our original pupil function by an edge-enhancing window function. Now the pupil function produces two sharp focus spots at the locations corresponding to the edges of the rectangle function...
- Testing a theory-based health communication program: a replication of Go Sun Smart in outdoor winter recreationPeter A Andersen
San Diego State University, San Diego, California, USA
J Health Commun 14:346-65. 2009..There was no evidence that GSS decreased sunburning or attitudes and self-efficacy beliefs regarding sun safety...
- Social information processing skills in children with histories of heavy prenatal alcohol exposureChristie L McGee
Center for Behavioral Teratology, Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, 6363 Alvarado Ct Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 37:817-30. 2009..Such difficulties may lead to problems in social functioning and warrant early intervention...
- The effect of retrieval on recall of information in individuals with posttraumatic stress disorderNader Amir
SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University, CA 92120 4913, USA
J Anxiety Disord 23:535-40. 2009..These findings are consistent with research indicating that individuals with PTSD may derive less benefit from rehearsal and display general inhibitory difficulties when compared to non-traumatized controls...
- A systematic review of the relationship between acculturation and diet among Latinos in the United States: implications for future researchGuadalupe X Ayala
Division of Health Promotion, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:1330-44. 2008..These findings suggest a differential influence of acculturation on diet, requiring greater specificity in our dietary interventions by acculturation status...
- Exporting doctoral education: experience of a state-supported universityCarleen H Stoskopf
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
J Health Adm Educ 24:301-19. 2007..Our experience is that there are many challenges, but it is also rewarding from academic, scholarly, and financial perspectives...
- The bimodal bilingual brain: effects of sign language experienceKaren Emmorey
San Diego State University, 6495 Alvarado Road, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Brain Lang 109:124-32. 2009....
- What are the contributory and compensatory relationships between physical education and physical activity in children?Charles F Morgan
School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, CA 92182 7251, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 78:407-12. 2007....
- Strategies for recruiting Middle Eastern-American young adults for physical activity research: a case of snowballs and SalaamDavid Kahan
School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 7251, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 11:380-90. 2009..8%). Access was facilitated by assistants who were community insiders; active recruitment was more successful than passive recruitment; and different techniques appealed to different group segments based on gender and religion...
- Effects of a foster parent training intervention on placement changes of children in foster careJoseph M Price
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, Child and Adolescent Services Research Center, San Diego, CA, USA
Child Maltreat 13:64-75. 2008..Incorporating intervention approaches based on a parent management training model into child welfare services may improve placement outcomes for children in foster care...
- Unifying electrostatic mechanism for receptor-ligand activityPeter Kovacic
Department of Chemistry, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 921812, USA
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 27:411-31. 2007..A summary of receptor biology is also provided, including receptors for acetylcholine (nicotinic and muscarinic), GABA, adrenergic, and glutamate...
- College student use of Salvia divinorumJames E Lange
Prevention Science Collaborative, 6386 Alvarado Ct, Suite 224, San Diego, CA 92120, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 94:263-6. 2008..S. jurisdictions. While the popular press has claimed that its use has become widespread, there have been no epidemiological studies published documenting this within the U.S...
- Methamphetamine abuse and manufacture: the child welfare responseMelinda Hohman
Center on Substance Abuse, School of Social Work, San Diego State University, CA, 92182 4119, USA
Soc Work 49:373-81. 2004..A case example provides information about the role of social workers and their collaboration with these multiple systems...
- Job characteristics, occupational status, and ambulatory cardiovascular activity in womenLinda C Gallo
SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University, CA 92120, USA
Ann Behav Med 28:62-73. 2004..Some research is consistent with the idea that stressful job characteristics are especially detrimental to health in low-status workers, creating a cumulative physiological burden...
- An inquiry-based learning model for an exercise physiology laboratory courseF W Kolkhorst
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 7251, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 25:117-22. 2001..Surveys, journal entries, and interviews indicated that students felt empowered by having ownership in their projects, which may be the key reason for the success of this model...
- If you can't join them, beat them: effects of social exclusion on aggressive behaviorJ M Twenge
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, California 92182 4611, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 81:1058-69. 2001..However, excluded people were not more aggressive toward someone who issued praise (Experiment 3). These responseswere specific to social exclusion (as opposed to other misfortunes) and were not mediated by emotion..
- Interval estimation of the attributable risk in case-control studies with matched pairsK J Lui
Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, College of Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 7720, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 55:885-90. 2001..The goal of this paper is to develop and search for good interval estimators of the AR for case-control studies with matched pairs...
- Preventing smoking in multiethnic communitiesJ P Elder
Division of Health Promotion, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, CA 92182, USA
Am J Health Behav 25:200-5. 2001..To examine community-based efforts to prevent tobacco use among adolescents, compared and contrasted to efforts conducted in schools...
- Itk/Emt: a link between T cell antigen receptor-mediated Ca2+ events and cytoskeletal reorganizationC D Tsoukas
Department of Biology and the Molecular Biology Institute, San Diego State University, CA 92182, USA
Trends Immunol 22:17-20. 2001..We propose that Itk/Emt constitutes an important link between these critical signaling events...
- Escherichia coli and Salmonella 2000: the view from hereM Schaechter
San Diego State University, San Diego, California, USA
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 65:119-30. 2001..The main areas selected for this brief inquiry are genomics, evolution, molecular multifunctionality, functional backups, regulation of gene expression, cell biology, sensing of the environment, and ecology...
- The role of sequential stream segregation and frequency selectivity in the perception of simultaneous sentences by listeners with sensorineural hearing lossC L Mackersie
San Diego State University, CA 92182 1518, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 44:19-28. 2001..Results suggest that the abilities to perceptually separate pitch patterns and separate sentences spoken simultaneously by different talkers are mediated by the same underlying perceptual and/or cognitive factors...
- Examination of the factor structure of physical activity behaviorsJ J Prochaska
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University and the University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 53:866-74. 2000..Factors corresponded closely to national recommendations. Unweighted factor scores and TV watching correlated significantly with physiological indicators of fitness, supporting construct validity...
- Children's level of participation in a false-belief task, age, and theory of mindS N Ritblatt
Child and Family Development, San Diego State University, USA
J Genet Psychol 161:53-64. 2000..The reality-masking hypothesis (P. Mitchell, 1994) accounts for the differences in performances on that task; thus, children younger than 4 years old do seem to have a theory of mind...
- T-lymphocyte immunophenotyping blind proficiency testing: a model system for CD4+ T-cellsD P Francis
Laboratory Assurance Program, Graduate School of Public Health, College of Health and Human Services, San Diego State University, CA, USA
Clin Lab Sci 12:278-89. 1999..To develop and evaluate methods and results for blind proficiency testing for CD4+ T-cells by T-lymphocyte immunophenotyping...
- Implicit and explicit memory functioning in children with heavy prenatal alcohol exposureS N Mattson
Center for Behavioral Teratology, San Diego State University, CA, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 5:462-71. 1999..These results further characterize the memory deficits in children with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure suggesting that in spite of learning and memory deficits, they are able to benefit from priming of verbal information...
- Validity of a parent report measure of vocabulary and syntax for preschool children with language impairmentD J Thal
Department of Communicative Disorders, San Diego State University, CA 92120, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 42:482-96. 1999..66). Parent report of comprehension and gesture scores did not correlate significantly with their behavioral counterparts, but gesture scores were moderately highly correlated with language comprehension (.65)...
- Collaborative roles for c-Jun N-terminal kinase, c-Jun, serum response factor, and Sp1 in calcium-regulated myocardial gene expressionP M McDonough
Department of Biology and the Molecular Biology Institute, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182, USA
J Biol Chem 272:24046-53. 1997..These results demonstrate an interaction between c-Jun and Sp1 and are consistent with a novel mechanism of calcium-mediated transcriptional activation involving the collaborative actions of JNK, c-Jun, serum response factor, and Sp1...
- Effects of soy protein supplemented with methionine on blood lipids and adiposity of ratsMark Kern
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 7251, USA
Nutrition 18:654-6. 2002..The effects of soy protein isolate (SPI) versus casein on blood lipids and adiposity were investigated in rats fed methionine-equivalent diets...
- Phylogenetic relationships and morphological diversity in Darwin's finches and their relativesKevin J Burns
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, California 92182 4614, USA
Evolution 56:1240-52. 2002..Recent studies have shown that adaptive evolution in Darwin's finches occurred relatively quickly. Our data show that among the relatives of Darwin's finches, the evolution of bill diversity was also rapid and extensive...
- Variation in plasma lipids during the reproductive cycle of male and female desert tortoises, Gopherus agassiziiValentine A Lance
Center for Reproduction of Endangered Species, San Diego, California 92112
J Exp Zool 293:703-11. 2002..The percent of C18:3n3, C18:2n6, C18:1n9, C20:5n3, and C22:5 were significantly higher in the June female plasma sample than in the August sample. Docosahexanoic (C22:6n3) acid was barely detectable in female plasma in either month...
- Modeling activity-dependent synapse restructuringD W Verzi
Department of Mathematics, San Diego State University Imperial Valley Campus, 720 Heber Avenue, Calexico CA 92231, USA
Bull Math Biol 66:745-62. 2004..This leads to a reduced model for post-synaptic restructuring that captures the dynamics of the full model in a briefer computation period when the spines are well connected to the dendrite...
- Seasonal changes in an alpine soil bacterial community in the colorado rocky mountainsDavid A Lipson
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 4614, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:2867-79. 2004..While the cultures and clone libraries produced generally distinct groups of organisms, the two approaches gave consistent accounts of seasonal changes in microbial diversity...
- Comparing telephone and written surveys to assess local adolescent immunization coverage ratesK Michael Peddecord
San Diego State University, Graduate School of Public Health, California 92182 4162, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 10:54-62. 2004..The written survey, in addition to having a somewhat lower cost, may be useful when focusing on a localized area, whereas the telephone survey permits a more representative sample of a larger county-wide population...
- Testing non-inferiority (and equivalence) between two diagnostic procedures in paired-sample ordinal dataKung Jong Lui
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 7720, USA
Stat Med 23:545-59. 2004..Finally, we note that the extension of these results to accommodate the case of detecting (two-sided) equivalence is simply straightforward...
- Validity of assessments of youth access to tobacco: the familiarity effectHope Landrine
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University 92120, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1883-6. 2003..We examined the standard compliance protocol and its validity as a measure of youth access to tobacco...
- New thinking on older adults' physical activityJames F Sallis
Department of Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92103, USA
Am J Prev Med 25:110-1. 2003
- Extracellular ATP and adenosine induce cell apoptosis of human hepatoma Li-7A cells via the A3 adenosine receptorLong T Wen
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 1030, USA
Br J Pharmacol 140:1009-18. 2003..4. Cytotoxicity caused by exogenous ATP and adenosine was completely abolished by the caspase-3 inhibitor Z-DEVD-FMK, demonstrating the central role of caspase-3 in apoptosis of Li-7A cells...
- Emergency contraception pills (ECPs): current trends in United States college health centersRory K Brening
Student Health Services, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 4701, USA
Contraception 67:449-56. 2003..Despite recent advances leading to increased availability of ECPs among college health centers, a number of campuses still do not prescribe ECPs...
- Effect of Roman chair exercise training on the development of lumbar extension strengthJohn M Mayer
Department of Exercise Science, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 13244, USA
J Strength Cond Res 17:356-61. 2003..0 +/- 134.1 N x m; after: 240.3 +/- 137.4 N x m; p > 0.05) compared with the control group (before: 175.6 +/- 68.9 N x m; after: 178.2 +/- 69.9 N x m; p > 0.05), despite an increase in dynamic exercise load...
- Integrative microbiology--the third Golden AgeMaselio Schaechter
Biology Department, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
J Biosci 28:149-54. 2003
- Conflicts among human values and trust in institutionsThierry Devos
San Diego State University, Department of Psychology, CA 92182, USA
Br J Soc Psychol 41:481-94. 2002..Moreover, differences in value priorities accounted for the fact that religious individuals and right-wing supporters expressed more trust in institutions than non-religious individuals and left-wing supporters...
- Correlation between modes of drinking and modes of driving as reported by students at two American universitiesJohn D Clapp
San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182 4119, USA
Accid Anal Prev 35:161-6. 2003..Multivariate analyses indicate past year DUIBs, monthly frequency of drinking and monthly marijuana use predicted recent DUIB...
- External-loop free energy affects dye-labeled terminators premature terminations in DNA cycle-sequencing reactionsLong Wen
Microchemical Core Facility, Biology Department, San Diego State University, 5500 Capanile Drive, San Diego, CA 98 2182 1030, USA
Mol Biotechnol 22:243-52. 2002....
- Mediators of change in physical activity following an intervention in primary care: PACEK J Calfas
University of California at San Diego, School of Medicine, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, La Jolla 92093, USA
Prev Med 26:297-304. 1997....
- IPEN: International Study of Built Environment, Physical Activity, and ObesityJames Sallis; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Ecological Analysis of Activity, Eating, & Weight in AdolescentsJames Sallis; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Ecological Analysis of Physical ActivityJames Sallis; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results will inform public health, land use, and transportation policies that could have population-wide impacts on physical activity. ..
- Ecological Analysis of Activity, Eating, & Weight in AdolescentsJames Sallis; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Ecological Analysis of Activity, Eating, & Weight in AdolescentsJames F Sallis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- IPEN: International Study of Built Environment, Physical Activity, and ObesityJames F Sallis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Fetal Alcohol Effects and Choline InterventionJennifer Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2007..Importantly, choline supplementation may serve as a relatively safe and effective treatment that could be administered after birth in humans. ..
- Fetal Alcohol Effects and Choline InterventionJennifer Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2003..The identification of an effective dietary intervention has important implications for children exposed to alcohol prenatally. ..
- Fetal Alcohol Effects and Choline InterventionJennifer D Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2010..Importantly, choline supplementation may serve as a relatively safe and effective treatment that could be administered after birth in humans. ..
- Reducing High-Risk College Drinking EnvironmentsJohn Clapp; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed research program is designed to systematically address gaps in the literature concerning environmental prevention among college students. ..
- Cardiovascular Risk Disparities: Socioemotional PathwaysLinda Gallo; Fiscal Year: 2007..By examining potentially modifiable psychosocial variables as a pathway underlying CVD disparities, this study seeks to inform efforts to understand and eliminate health disparities. ..
- Cardiovascular Risk Disparities: Socioemotional PathwaysLinda Gallo; Fiscal Year: 2009..By examining potentially modifiable psychosocial variables as a pathway underlying CVD disparities, this study seeks to inform efforts to understand and eliminate health disparities. ..
- Marital Adjustment, Depression and Myocardial InfarctionLinda Gallo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Obesity Prevention/Control /Community Recreation CentersJohn Elder; Fiscal Year: 2009..To assess the impact of hypothesized intervention moderator variables (e.g., race/ethnicity demographics, acculturation, immutable environmental factors) on behavioral and weight outcomes. ..
- Clinical/Behavioral Approach to Overweight Latino YouthGregory A Talavera; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TRIAL OF ACTIVITY FOR ADOLESCENT GIRLS (TAAG)John Elder; Fiscal Year: 2005..Assessment of hypothesized intervention mediators and quality of implementation of all intervention components will enhance understanding of intervention effects. ..
- SMOKING PREVENTION FOR LATINO MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTSJohn Elder; Fiscal Year: 2003..The differential rates of acculturation between parents and middle school children and the potential buffering effect of HSA5 against negative life events experienced by the participants will be related to program outcomes. ..
- Obesity Prevention in Latino Home and Community Environ*John Elder; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moderator variables will include acculturation, socioeconomic status and GIS measures in the community. ..
- INNOVATIVE NUTRITION COMMUNICATION FOR LATINOSJohn Elder; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aggresive cohort maintenance strategies (used extensively in the past by our research team) and incentives are expected to help retain 85% of the study group over time. ..