Katherine A Stamatakis
Affiliation: Saint Louis University
- Promoting state health department evidence-based cancer and chronic disease prevention: a multi-phase dissemination study with a cluster randomized trial componentPeg Allen
Prevention Research Center in St, Louis, Brown School, Washington University in St, Louis, 621 Skinker Blvd, St, Louis, MO 63130 4838, USA
Implement Sci 8:141. 2013..The purpose of this study is to learn how best to promote the adoption of evidence based public health practice related to chronic disease prevention...
- State practitioner insights into local public health challenges and opportunities in obesity prevention: a qualitative studyKatherine A Stamatakis
Department of Epidemiology, Saint Louis University College for Public Health and Social Justice, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63110 E mail
Prev Chronic Dis 11:E39. 2014..The purpose of this qualitative study was to characterize how state obesity prevention program directors perceived the role of LHDs in obesity prevention and factors that impact LHDs' success in obesity prevention...
- Sleep duration and obesity-related risk factors in the rural MidwestKatherine A Stamatakis
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Prev Med 46:439-44. 2008..Our objective was to examine the association between sleep duration with other behaviors, such as physical activity and nutrition, which are important for obesity prevention efforts...
- Association between physical activity and insomnia symptoms in rural communities of southeastern Missouri, Tennessee, and ArkansasJen Jen Chang
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
J Rural Health 29:239-47. 2013..The purpose of this study is to examine whether physical activity is associated with less insomnia symptoms in the rural communities...
- Communicating evidence-based information on cancer prevention to state-level policy makersRoss C Brownson
Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:306-16. 2011..We explored factors that influence the likelihood that state-level policy makers will find a policy brief understandable, credible, and useful...
- State legislators' work on public health-related issues: what influences priorities?Elizabeth A Dodson
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, and Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 19:25-9. 2013..Furthermore, researchers seeking to influence policy face an incomplete understanding of what influences legislators' decisions regarding which issues will receive their limited time and focus...
- Where is obesity prevention on the map?: distribution and predictors of local health department prevention activities in relation to county-level obesity prevalence in the United StatesKatherine A Stamatakis
Division of Public Health Sciences, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 18:402-11. 2012..However, the extent to which obesity prevention programs correspond to local obesity levels is unknown...
- Understanding administrative evidence-based practices: findings from a survey of local health department leadersRoss C Brownson
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, Brown School, St Louis, Missouri Division of Public Health Sciences and Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri Electronic address
Am J Prev Med 46:49-57. 2014..There are sparse data showing the extent to which evidence-based public health is occurring among local health departments...
- Fostering more-effective public health by identifying administrative evidence-based practices: a review of the literatureRoss C Brownson
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:309-19. 2012..e., agency-level structures and activities that are positively associated with performance measures)...
- Designing for dissemination among public health researchers: findings from a national survey in the United StatesRoss C Brownson
Washington University in St Louis, 621 Skinker Boulevard, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Am J Public Health 103:1693-9. 2013..We have described the practice of designing for dissemination among researchers in the United States with the intent of identifying gaps and areas for improvement...
- Systems science methods in public health: dynamics, networks, and agentsDouglas A Luke
George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63112, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 33:357-76. 2012....
- The association of sleep duration and depressive symptoms in rural communities of Missouri, Tennessee, and ArkansasJen Jen Chang
Department of Epidemiology, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis 63104, USA
J Rural Health 28:268-76. 2012..To determine the association between sleep duration and depressive symptoms in a rural setting...
- Short sleep duration across income, education, and race/ethnic groups: population prevalence and growing disparities during 34 years of follow-upKatherine A Stamatakis
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Epidemiol 17:948-55. 2007..Little is known about population determinants of short sleep duration. The authors examined associations between short sleep duration and income, education and race/ethnicity, and assessed changes over time in relative disparities...
- Self-esteem and mortality: prospective evidence from a population-based studyKatherine A Stamatakis
Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health, Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104, USA
Ann Epidemiol 14:58-65. 2004..The objective of this study was to assess whether low self-esteem was prospectively associated with increased risk of death in a population-based sample of Finnish men...
- Communicating prevention messages to policy makers: the role of stories in promoting physical activityKatherine A Stamatakis
Dept of Surgery and Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Phys Act Health 7:S99-107. 2010..To improve the translation of evidence into policy, researchers and public health practitioners need to consider new ways for communicating health promoting messages to state and local policymakers...
- Effects of sleep fragmentation on glucose metabolism in normal subjectsKatherine A Stamatakis
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Chest 137:95-101. 2010..The objective of this study was to examine whether experimental sleep fragmentation across all sleep stages would alter glucose metabolism, adrenocortical function, and sympathovagal balance...
- Risk factors for exposure to environmental tobacco smoke among ethnically diverse women in the United StatesKatherine A Stamatakis
Department of Community Health and Prevention Research Center, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
J Womens Health Gend Based Med 11:45-51. 2002..The likelihood of being exposed to ETS at work was highest for women whose workplace smoking policies allowed smoking in some or all work areas...