Elizabeth A Baker
Affiliation: Saint Louis University
- Identifying the role of community partnerships in creating change to support active livingElizabeth A Baker
Saint Louis University School of Public Health, Saint Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:S290-9. 2012..Active Living by Design (ALbD) partnerships were established to change environments and policies as well as support complementary programs and promotions to increase physical activity in 25 communities across the U.S...
- A survey tool for measuring evidence-based decision making capacity in public health agenciesJulie A Jacobs
Prevention Research Center in St, Louis, Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, MO, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 12:57. 2012..Public health agencies serve a wide range of populations with varying levels of resources. Our survey tool allows an individual agency to collect data that reflects its unique workforce...
- Translating and disseminating research- and practice-based criteria to support evidence-based intervention planningElizabeth A Baker
Department of Community Health and Prevention Research Center, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, Salus Center, 3545 Lafayette Ave, Suite 300, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:124-30. 2008..The decision-making process involves the identification and evaluation of criteria supporting or Refuting use of intervention approaches based on previous work in the field...
- Examining the role of training in evidence-based public health: a qualitative studyElizabeth A Baker
Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Health Promot Pract 10:342-8. 2009..However, participants emphasize that factors external to the course influence their ability to engage in the EBPH process they learned...
- The role of race and poverty in access to foods that enable individuals to adhere to dietary guidelinesElizabeth A Baker
Saint Louis University School of Public Health, Salus Center, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 3:A76. 2006..The question guiding the current study was whether all communities have equal access to foods that enable individuals to make healthy dietary choices...
- The Garden of Eden: acknowledging the impact of race and class in efforts to decrease obesity ratesElizabeth A Baker
Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1170-4. 2006..The market is run with an eye toward sustainability, with partners from academia, a local faith-based community organization, businesses, and community members collaborating to make all program decisions...
- Temporal trends in area socioeconomic disparities in breast-cancer incidence and mortality, 1988-2005Mario Schootman
Division of Health Behavior Research, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, Box 8504, 4444 Forest Park Avenue, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 122:533-43. 2010..Efforts to target counties aimed at increasing breast-cancer screening based on their level of deprivation will not likely be beneficial...
- Translating research into practice: using concept mapping to determine locally relevant intervention strategies to increase physical activityCheryl M Kelly
Transtria, LLC, 3525 Watson Rd, Ste R, St Louis, MO 63139, USA
Eval Program Plann 30:282-93. 2007..To translate intervention strategies to increase physical activity interventions recommended by the Community Guide for higher and lower income African-American adults living in an urban, Midwestern community...
- If you build it, they will come: lessons from developing walking trails in rural MissouriImogene Wiggs
Department of Health and Senior Services, Poplar Bluff, Missouri, USA
Health Promot Pract 9:387-94. 2008..Implementation activities focused on trail maintenance and addition of amenities (e.g., playgrounds, benches). In the area of evaluation, they collect data via interviews with walkers on trails and community telephone surveys...
- Barriers to evidence-based decision making in public health: a national survey of chronic disease practitionersJulie A Jacobs
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, St Louis, MO, USA
Public Health Rep 125:736-42. 2010..This study investigated state and territorial chronic disease practitioners' self-reported barriers to evidence-based decision making (EBDM)...
- Improving the public health workforce: evaluation of a training course to enhance evidence-based decision makingMariah Dreisinger
School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 14:138-43. 2008..These data suggest the importance of professional training opportunities in EBPH for public health practitioners. Future endeavors should focus on overcoming the barriers to the dissemination of EBPH...
- The association of sidewalk walkability and physical disorder with area-level race and povertyCheryl M Kelly
Transtria, 3525 Watson Road, St Louis, MO 63139, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:978-83. 2007..Previous research suggests that walking is the most common form of physical activity; however, not all built environments support walking for recreational or transportation purposes...
- Use of evidence-based interventions in state health departments: a qualitative assessment of barriers and solutionsElizabeth A Dodson
George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Prevention Research Center in St Louis, Washington University, 660 S Euclid Avenue, Campus Box 8109, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 16:E9-E15. 2010..Specifically, it identified barriers to using EBDM commonly faced by state-level chronic disease practitioners and solutions for increasing the use of EBDM...
- Exploring community health through the Sustainable Livelihoods frameworkEllen K Barnidge
Saint Louis University, MO, USA
Health Educ Behav 38:80-90. 2011....
- Temporal trends in geographic disparities in small-area breast cancer incidence and mortality, 1988 to 2005Mario Schootman
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Health Behavior Research, Box 8504, 4444 Forest Park Avenue, Saint Louis, MO 63108, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1122-31. 2010..A goal of Healthy People 2010 was to reduce health disparities. We determined the extent of reductions in geographic disparities in five breast cancer screening indicators...
- Breast cancer screening and incidence in communities with a high proportion of uninsuredMario Schootman
Departments of Medicine and Pediatrics, Division of Health Behavior Research, Washington University, 4444 Forest Park Road, Saint Louis, MO 63108, USA
Am J Prev Med 33:379-386. 2007..Research has not established (1) if breast cancer screening varies by county-level proportion of uninsured or (2) whether county-level-proportion of uninsured correlates with county-level early-stage and late-stage breast cancer incidence...
- Training practitioners in evidence-based chronic disease prevention for global healthRoss C Brownson
Prevention Research Center, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, USA
Promot Educ 14:159-63. 2007..To take full advantage of new technology and tools and to combat new health challenges, public health practitioners must continually improve their skills...
- Do recreational resources contribute to physical activity?Elizabeth A Baker
School of Public Health, St Louis University, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Phys Act Health 5:252-61. 2008..Previous research suggests that access to recreational resources might influence physical activity. Little research, however, has looked at both access to and the characteristics of recreational resources and physical activity...
- A community-based approach to promoting walking in rural areasRoss C Brownson
Department of Community Health and Prevention Research Center, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Am J Prev Med 27:28-34. 2004..Ecologic models are often recommended to promote physical activity, yet sparse data exist on their effectiveness...
- Tools for building clinic-community partnerships to support chronic disease control and preventionEllen K Barnidge
Saint Louis University School of Public Health, 3545 Lafayette Ave, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Diabetes Educ 36:190-201. 2010..The purpose of this article is to introduce tools developed by the Diabetes Initiative of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to fill that gap...
- Environmental correlates of physical activity among individuals with diabetes in the rural midwestAnjali D Deshpande
Department of Community Health, Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, 3545 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 300, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Diabetes Care 28:1012-8. 2005..To determine the relationship between physical and social environment attributes and levels of physical activity in a population-based sample of diabetic individuals living in rural areas...
- Understanding and addressing barriers to implementation of environmental and policy interventions to support physical activity and healthy eating in rural communitiesEllen K Barnidge
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, School of Public Health, Saint Louis University, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Rural Health 29:97-105. 2013....
- Contextual factors influencing readiness for dissemination of obesity prevention programs and policiesMariah L Dreisinger
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University in St Louis, 660 South Euclid Avenue, Campus Box 8109, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Health Educ Res 27:292-306. 2012..The qualitative data collected support a proposed framework and helps to establish a process for maintaining successful interventions based on several important factors that impact dissemination...
- A participatory method to identify root determinants of health: the heart of the matterEllen Barnidge
Saint Louis University School of Public Health, USA
Prog Community Health Partnersh 4:55-63. 2010..However, to understand and address locally relevant root factors of health, it is essential to engage the broader community in participatory dialogues around these factors...
- Assessing the competencies and training needs for public health professionals managing chronic disease prevention programsSarah Kreitner
Department of Community Health, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, 3545 Lafayette Avenue, Room 475, St Louis, Missouri 63104 1314, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 9:284-90. 2003..The findings can be used to design future competency-based training programs to build the capacity for chronic disease programs in state and territorial health departments...
- Linking perceptions of the community to behavior: are protective social factors associated with physical activity?Laura K Brennan
Department of Community Health and Prevention Research Center, Saint Louis University, School of Public Health, St Louis, Missouri 63104 1314, USA
Health Educ Behav 30:740-55. 2003..Additional analyses indicated that greater perceived PSFs were associated with meeting these recommendations among Whites but not among African Americans...
- Organizational capacity's effects on the delivery and outcomes of health education programsCheryl M Kelly
Community Health Department, Saint Louis University School of Public Health, Missouri 63104, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 10:164-70. 2004..This article seeks to address this gap in the literature by identifying organizational capacity variables that may have influenced the delivery of a dietary change program...
- Effect of area poverty rate on cancer screening across US communitiesMario Schootman
Division of Health Behavior Research, Washington University, Saint Louis, MO 63108, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 60:202-7. 2006....
- Prevention Research Centers: contributions to updating the public health workforce through trainingAdele L Franks
Prev Chronic Dis 2:A26. 2005..These courses illustrate the commitment of the Prevention Research Centers Program to helping create a better trained public health workforce, thereby enhancing the likelihood of improving public health...
- Addressing social determinants of health inequities: learning from doingElizabeth A Baker
Am J Public Health 95:553-5. 2005