Affiliation: Rutgers University
- Estimating the impact of alcohol policies on youth suicidesSara Markowitz
Rutgers University, Newark, NJ and National Bureau of Economic Research, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 6:37-46. 2003..If alcohol use is a contributing factor in determining suicidal behaviors, then policies designed to reduce the alcohol consumption may succeed in reducing youth suicides as well...
- Antidepressants and youth: healing or harmful?Sara Markowitz
Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:2138-51. 2007..In contrast, we find that newer generation antidepressants are associated with lower numbers of suicides for this age group. For younger children aged 10-14, we find no relationship with suicides for any type of antidepressant...
- The effects of daylight and daylight saving time on US pedestrian fatalities and motor vehicle occupant fatalitiesDouglas Coate
Department of Economics, Rutgers University, 360 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Accid Anal Prev 36:351-7. 2004..00 a.m. and in the 4:00-9:00 p.m. time periods. Motor vehicle occupant fatalities would be reduced by 195 per year, or 3%, during the same time periods...
- The effectiveness of cigarette regulations in reducing cases of Sudden Infant Death SyndromeSara Markowitz
Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark and NBER, Newark NJ 07102, USA
J Health Econ 27:106-33. 2008..Stronger restrictions on smoking in workplaces, restaurants and child care centers are also effective in reducing SIDS deaths...
- Family leave after childbirth and the mental health of new mothersPinka Chatterji
Department of Economics, University at Albany, BA 111A, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 15:61-76. 2012..Much less is known, however, about how early parental employment affects the mental and physical health of the mothers themselves...
- Is youth smoking responsive to cigarette prices? Evidence from low- and middle-income countriesDeliana Kostova
Emory University, Department of Economics, 1602 Fishburne Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Tob Control 20:419-24. 2011..To estimate the price elasticity of cigarette demand among youth in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC)...
- An investigation of the effects of alcohol policies on youth STDsMichael Grossman
City University of New York Graduate Center, New York, NY, USA
Adv Health Econ Health Serv Res 16:229-56. 2005..Strict drunk driving policies in the form of zero tolerance laws may also lower the gonorrhea rate among males under the legal drinking age...
- Tobacco control policies and youth smoking: evidence from a new eraJohn A Tauras
Department of Economics, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Adv Health Econ Health Serv Res 16:277-91. 2005..Moreover, we find purchase, use, and possession laws to be inversely related to youth and young adult smoking prevalence...
- Mental health and substance abuse treatment and juvenile crimeAlison Evans Cuellar
Department of Health Policy and Management, Columbia University, 600 W 168th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 7:59-68. 2004..The purpose of this paper is to examine the effectiveness of mental health and substance abuse treatment in reducing crimes committed by juveniles...
- Are mental health insurance mandates effective? Evidence from suicidesJonathan Klick
Florida State University College of Law, USA
Health Econ 15:83-97. 2006..Data on completed suicides in each state for the period 1981-2000 are analyzed. Ordinary least squares and two-stage least squares results show that mental health mandates are not effective in reducing suicide rates...
- Aging and aggregate costs of medical care: conceptual and policy issuesDov Chernichovsky
Department of Health Policy and Management, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Health Econ 13:543-62. 2004..Simultaneously, however, the costs of the young may decrease for the same reasons. The Israeli experience, used as a basis for a cursory empirical discussion of the issues, supports the line of reasoning presented in the paper...
- Lighting up and slimming down: the effects of body weight and cigarette prices on adolescent smoking initiationJohn Cawley
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Health Econ 23:293-311. 2004..These gender-specific differences may help explain the mixed and inconclusive evidence of the impact of price on smoking initiation found in previous literature...
- An empirical investigation of the social market for cigarettesBrett Katzman
Kennesaw State University, USA
Health Econ 16:1025-39. 2007....
- Alcohol Policies and Child MaltreatmentSara Markowitz; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project analyzes the propensity for alcohol control policies to reduce rates of child abuse and neglect and improve the lives of children. ..