Alissa L Russ
- Investigating the role of ischemia vs. elevated hydrostatic pressure associated with acute obstructive uropathyAlissa L Russ
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, 206 S Martin Jischke Dr, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1791, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 37:1415-24. 2009..Results suggest that renal ischemia may be the primary, but not the sole, cause of cellular injury induced by obstructive uropathy...
- Design and implementation of a hospital-based usability laboratory: insights from a Department of Veterans Affairs laboratory for health information technologyAlissa L Russ
Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Service, Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Richard L Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 38:531-40. 2012..Experience with a usability laboratory at a VA Medical Center provides insights on how to design, implement, and leverage usability laboratories in the health care setting...
- Electronic health information in use: Characteristics that support employee workflow and patient careAlissa L Russ
Roudebush VAMC, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Health Informatics J 16:287-305. 2010..Each characteristic may be used to help evaluate health information technology pre- and post-implementation. Results provide several strategies to improve EHR design and implementation to better support healthcare workflow...
- Prescribers' interactions with medication alerts at the point of prescribing: A multi-method, in situ investigation of the human-computer interactionAlissa L Russ
Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Richard L Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Int J Med Inform 81:232-43. 2012..We conducted an in situ, human factors investigation of outpatient prescribing to uncover factors that influence the prescriber-alert interaction and identify strategies to improve alert design...
- You and me and the computer makes three: variations in exam room use of the electronic health recordJason J Saleem
Human Factors, Office of Informatics and Analytics, Veterans Health Administration, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 21:e147-51. 2014..Findings from this study may help inform the design of the next generation of EHRs for the VA and other healthcare systems. ..
- Exploring the persistence of paper with the electronic health recordJason J Saleem
VA HSR and D Center on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush VAMC, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Int J Med Inform 78:618-28. 2009..The objective of this study was to explore and understand human-technology integration factors that may be causing employees to rely on paper alternatives to the EHR...
- Paper- and computer-based workarounds to electronic health record use at three benchmark institutionsMindy E Flanagan
Indiana University IU Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 3012, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 20:e59-66. 2013..Understanding the reasons for workarounds is important to facilitate user-centered design and alignment between work context and available health information technology tools...
- Lessons learned from usability testing of the VA's personal health recordDavid A Haggstrom
Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Richard L Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 18:i13-7. 2011....
- A human factors investigation of medication alerts: barriers to prescriber decision-making and clinical workflowAlissa L Russ
VA HSR and D Center on Implementing Evidence Based Practice CIEBP, Roudebush VAMC, Indianapolis, IN, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2009:548-52. 2009..Results may be used to create alert redesigns, which have the potential to more fully support clinical workflow, prescriber decision-making, and patient safety...
- Paper persistence, workarounds, and communication breakdowns in computerized consultation managementJason J Saleem
VA HSR and D Center on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, United States
Int J Med Inform 80:466-79. 2011..We investigated current challenges to the electronic outpatient consult management process in the United States Veterans Health Administration (VHA)...
- Experimental strategies to improve in vitro models of renal ischemiaAlissa L Russ
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, 206 S Intramural Dr West Lafayette, IN 47907 1791, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 83:143-59. 2007..Finally, although these topics will be discussed within the context of renal ischemia, many are pertinent for cellular models of other organ systems and pathologies...
- The science of human factors: separating fact from fictionAlissa L Russ
Veterans Affairs VA Health Services Research and Development Center on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
BMJ Qual Saf 22:802-8. 2013..Some of the misconceptions about human factors may inadvertently create missed opportunities for healthcare improvement...