Affiliation: Rush University Medical Center
- Wilson R, Mendes de Leon C, Bienias J, Evans D, Bennett D. Personality and mortality in old age. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2004;59:P110-6 pubmed..Findings for extraversion were mixed, and neither agreeableness nor openness was strongly related to mortality. The results suggest that personality is associated with mortality in old age. ..
- Wilson R, Barnes L, Bennett D, Li Y, Bienias J, Mendes De Leon C, et al. Proneness to psychological distress and risk of Alzheimer disease in a biracial community. Neurology. 2005;64:380-2 pubmed..4 times more likely to develop AD than persons not distress prone. This effect was substantially stronger in white persons compared to African Americans. ..
- Wilson R, Boyle P, Segawa E, Yu L, Begeny C, Anagnos S, et al. The influence of cognitive decline on well-being in old age. Psychol Aging. 2013;28:304-13 pubmed publisher..The results support the hypothesis that cognitive aging leads to diminished well-being, particularly aspects such as purpose in life that involve behavioral regulation. ..
- Wilson R, Beck T, Bienias J, Bennett D. Terminal cognitive decline: accelerated loss of cognition in the last years of life. Psychosom Med. 2007;69:131-7 pubmed..In old age, cognitive decline markedly accelerates during the last 3 to 4 years of life, consistent with the terminal decline hypothesis. ..
- Buchman A, Wilson R, Leurgans S, Bennett D, Barnes L. Change in motor function and adverse health outcomes in older African-Americans. Exp Gerontol. 2015;70:71-7 pubmed publisher..5-fold higher rate of death and a 3-fold higher rate of developing Katz disability. The rate of declining motor function accelerates with increasing age and its rate of decline predicts adverse health outcomes in older African-Americans. ..
- Wilson R, Leurgans S, Boyle P, Schneider J, Bennett D. Neurodegenerative basis of age-related cognitive decline. Neurology. 2010;75:1070-8 pubmed publisher..Mild age-related decline in cognitive function is mainly due to the neuropathologic lesions traditionally associated with dementia. ..
- Wilson R, Boyle P, Yu L, Barnes L, Sytsma J, Buchman A, et al. Temporal course and pathologic basis of unawareness of memory loss in dementia. Neurology. 2015;85:984-91 pubmed publisher..Awareness of memory impairment typically begins to decline about 2-3 years before dementia onset and is associated with postmortem evidence of TDP-43 pathology, tangles, and gross cerebral infarcts. ..
- Wilson R, Capuano A, Yu L, Yang J, Kim N, Leurgans S, et al. Neurodegenerative disease and cognitive retest learning. Neurobiol Aging. 2018;66:122-130 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that neurodegeneration does not impact cognitive retest learning. ..
- Wilson R, Arnold S, Beck T, Bienias J, Bennett D. Change in depressive symptoms during the prodromal phase of Alzheimer disease. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008;65:439-45 pubmed publisher..We found no evidence of an increase in depressive symptoms during the prodromal phase of AD. ..
- Wilson R, Barnes L, Krueger K, Hoganson G, Bienias J, Bennett D. Early and late life cognitive activity and cognitive systems in old age. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2005;11:400-7 pubmed..The results suggest that past cognitive activity contributes to current cognition principally through its association with cognitive activity in old age. ..
- Wilson R, Yu L, Bennett D. Odor identification and mortality in old age. Chem Senses. 2011;36:63-7 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that difficulty identifying familiar odors in old age is associated with increased risk of death. ..
- Wilson R, Sytsma J, Barnes L, Boyle P. Anosognosia in Dementia. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2016;16:77 pubmed publisher..Its occurrence is robustly associated with common dementia-related pathologies and damage to memory and self-referential brain networks and their interconnections. ..
- Wilson R, Bennett D. How Does Psychosocial Behavior Contribute to Cognitive Health in Old Age?. Brain Sci. 2017;7: pubmed publisher..A better understanding of these mechanisms may lead to novel strategies for preserving cognitive health in old age. ..
- Wilson R, Krueger K, Kamenetsky J, Tang Y, Gilley D, Bennett D, et al. Hallucinations and mortality in Alzheimer disease. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005;13:984-90 pubmed..The authors tested the relationship of hallucinations and delusions to mortality in Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- Wilson R, Capuano A, James B, Amofa P, Arvanitakis Z, Shah R, et al. Purpose in Life and Hospitalization for Ambulatory Care-Sensitive Conditions in Old Age. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2018;26:364-374 pubmed publisher..In old age, higher level of purpose in life is associated with lower odds of subsequent hospitalizations for ambulatory care-sensitive conditions. ..
- Wilson R, Krueger K, Arnold S, Barnes L, Mendes de Leon C, Bienias J, et al. Childhood adversity and psychosocial adjustment in old age. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006;14:307-15 pubmed..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that higher level of childhood adversity is associated with lower level of psychosocial adjustment in old age...
- Wilson R, Arnold S, Schneider J, Tang Y, Bennett D. The relationship between cerebral Alzheimer's disease pathology and odour identification in old age. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007;78:30-5 pubmed..Olfactory dysfunction is common in old age, but its basis is uncertain...
- Wilson R, Arnold S, Tang Y, Bennett D. Odor identification and decline in different cognitive domains in old age. Neuroepidemiology. 2006;26:61-7 pubmed..The results indicate that impaired odor identification in old age is associated with impaired global cognition and more rapid decline in perceptual processing speed and episodic memory...
- Wilson R, Yu L, Schneider J, Arnold S, Buchman A, Bennett D. Lewy bodies and olfactory dysfunction in old age. Chem Senses. 2011;36:367-73 pubmed publisher..The findings indicate that Lewy body disease impairs late life olfactory function even in otherwise asymptomatic individuals...
- Wilson R, Schneider J, Arnold S, Tang Y, Boyle P, Bennett D. Olfactory identification and incidence of mild cognitive impairment in older age. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007;64:802-8 pubmed..Mild cognitive impairment (MCI) is often a precursor to Alzheimer disease, but knowledge about factors that predict its development is limited...