R A Weinstein
Affiliation: Rush University Medical Center
- Staphylococcus aureus bacteriuria as a prognosticator for outcome of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: a case-control studyShingo Chihara
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Dokkyo Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
BMC Infect Dis 10:225. 2010..Because such spread might have special clinical significance, we evaluated predictors and outcomes of S. aureus bacteriuria among patients with S. aureus bacteremia...
- Nosocomial infection updateR A Weinstein
Cook County Hospital, Division of Infectious Diseases, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 4:416-20. 1998....
- Controlling antimicrobial resistance in hospitals: infection control and use of antibioticsR A Weinstein
Cook County Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:188-92. 2001..Various interventions have been described to improve antibiotic use. The most effective have been programs restricting use of antibiotics and computer-based order forms for health providers...
- Effectiveness of gloves in the prevention of hand carriage of vancomycin-resistant enterococcus species by health care workers after patient careA R Tenorio
Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Infect Dis 32:826-9. 2001..However, gloving does not completely prevent contamination of the hands, and hand washing is necessary after glove removal...
- Interventional evaluation of environmental contamination by vancomycin-resistant enterococci: failure of personnel, product, or procedure?B Hota
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Hosp Infect 71:123-31. 2009..These findings suggest that surface contamination with VRE is due to a failure to clean rather than to a faulty cleaning procedure or product...
- Multi-hospital analysis of antimicrobial usage and resistance trendsC A Lesch
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 41:149-54. 2001..Hospital laboratories, pharmacies, and infection control departments must work together to develop databases that will facilitate such measurements...
- Development of Daptomycin resistance in vivo in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusM K Hayden
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:5285-7. 2005..aureus. Disk diffusion susceptibility testing failed to detect resistance. Daptomycin at high concentration retained bactericidal activity against resistant isolates...
- Delays in tuberculosis isolation and suspicion among persons hospitalized with HIV-related pneumoniaC L Bennett
The Chicago VA Health Care System Lakeside and Westside Divisions, Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Chest 117:110-6. 2000..Despite awareness of HIV-related tuberculosis (TB), nosocomial outbreaks of multidrug-resistant TB among HIV-infected individuals occur...
- Risk factors for antibiotic-resistant infection and treatment outcomes among hospitalized patients transferred from long-term care facilities: does antimicrobial choice make a difference?E Toubes
Section of Infectious Diseases, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Infect Dis 36:724-30. 2003..However, neither infection with ARB nor appropriateness of initial treatment regimen was significantly related to outcome or resource use...
- Impact of a fluoroquinolone formulary change on acquisition of quinolone-resistant gram-negative bacilliB N Hota
Stroger Hospital of Cook County, Division of Infectious Diseases, 637 South Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:405-10. 2005..In conclusion, a formulary change from ciprofloxacin to levofloxacin was not significantly associated with an increased risk of acquisition of QRGNB...
- The effect of renal dysfunction on antimicrobial use measurementsB M Zagorski
University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:1491-7. 2002..No significant reduction was noted when the stop-start day method was used. Compared with the defined daily dose method, measures of therapy duration are less affected by renal function and may improve comparisons between populations...