Nell S Lurain
Affiliation: Rush University Medical Center
- Differential inhibition of human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) by toll-like receptor ligands mediated by interferon-beta in human foreskin fibroblasts and cervical tissueSailesh C Harwani
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University, Chicago, USA
Virol J 4:133. 2007..Clear differences in the response to different TLR ligands suggests the explant model more closely reflects in vivo responses to genital infections...
- Human cytomegalovirus UL144 open reading frame: sequence hypervariability in low-passage clinical isolatesN S Lurain
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush Medical College, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Virol 73:10040-50. 1999....
- Analysis of the human cytomegalovirus genomic region from UL146 through UL147A reveals sequence hypervariability, genotypic stability, and overlapping transcriptsNell S Lurain
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Virol J 3:4. 2006..UL146 and UL147, which encode CXC chemokine homologues are among these variable ORFs...
- Antiviral drug resistance of human cytomegalovirusNell S Lurain
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, 1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 23:689-712. 2010..This review summarizes the virological and clinical data pertaining to HCMV antiviral drug resistance...
- HIV type 1 and cytomegalovirus coinfection in the female genital tractNell S Lurain
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Infect Dis 190:619-23. 2004..More than 1 strain of CMV was detected in specimens from 2 patients. These results suggest mechanisms by which CMV coinfection could affect HIV-1 disease progression...
- Sequencing of cytomegalovirus UL97 gene for genotypic antiviral resistance testingN S Lurain
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush Medical College, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, 1653 West Congress Pkwy, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:2775-80. 2001..This genotypic assay can be performed in 48 h using genomic DNA extracted from cell monolayers at very low levels of virus infectivity, thus rapidly providing therapeutically useful results...
- Analysis and characterization of antiviral drug-resistant cytomegalovirus isolates from solid organ transplant recipientsNell S Lurain
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Infect Dis 186:760-8. 2002....
- Human cytomegalovirus and human immunodeficiency virus type-1 co-infection in human cervical tissueAndrea M Fox-Canale
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, 1653 West, Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Virology 369:55-68. 2007..The cervical explants provide an ex vivo human model for examining mechanisms of virus-virus interaction and pathogenesis in clinically relevant tissue...
- Artesunate as a potent antiviral agent in a patient with late drug-resistant cytomegalovirus infection after hematopoietic stem cell transplantationMichael Y Shapira
Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 46:1455-7. 2008..Artesunate treatment resulted in a 1.7-2.1-log reduction in viral load by treatment day 7, with a viral half-life of 0.9-1.9 days, indicating a highly effective block in viral replication...
- Upregulation of human cytomegalovirus by HIV type 1 in human lymphoid tissue ex vivoAngelique Biancotto
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biophysics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:453-62. 2008..Ex vivo-infected human lymphoid tissue constitutes a model to study the mechanisms of HCMV tissue pathogenesis and its interactions with HIV-1 and this model may provide new targets for anti-HIV-1 therapy...
- Evaluation of real-time PCR laboratory-developed tests using analyte-specific reagents for cytomegalovirus quantificationAngela M Caliendo
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:1723-7. 2007..The availability of real-time PCR ASRs provides additional reagents that can be used for CMV viral load testing...
- Emergence of ganciclovir-resistant cytomegalovirus in lung transplant recipientsSangeeta M Bhorade
Lung Transplant Program, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 21:1274-82. 2002..More recently, there have been sporadic reports of ganciclovir-resistant CMV disease in solid organ transplantation...
- Viral DNA polymerase mutations associated with drug resistance in human cytomegalovirusSunwen Chou
Medical and Research Services, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Division of Infectious Diseases, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Infect Dis 188:32-9. 2003..This study significantly increases the number of confirmed CMV pol resistance mutations, at both conserved and nonconserved loci, with implications for molecular mechanisms and the genotypic diagnosis of antiviral resistance...
- Mutations conferring foscarnet resistance in a cohort of patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and cytomegalovirus retinitisAdriana Weinberg
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Infect Dis 187:777-84. 2003..016). The incidence of foscarnet resistance after 6, 9, and 12 months of therapy was 13%, 24%, and 37%, respectively...
- Emergence and compartmentalization of fatal multi-drug-resistant cytomegalovirus infection in a patient with autosomal-recessive severe combined immune deficiencySamuel C Blackman
Pediatric Residency Training Program, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 26:601-5. 2004..Serial genotypic analyses revealed multiple UL97 and UL54 (DNA polymerase) mutations that conferred phenotypic resistance to all currently licensed systemic CMV antivirals...
- Evolutionarily divergent herpesviruses modulate T cell activation by targeting the herpesvirus entry mediator cosignaling pathwayTimothy C Cheung
Division of Molecular Immunology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, 10355 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:13218-23. 2005..The demonstration that distinct herpesviruses target the HVEM-BTLA cosignaling pathway suggests the importance of this pathway in regulating T cell activation during host defenses...
- Emergence of late cytomegalovirus central nervous system disease in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipientsDana G Wolf
Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Blood 101:463-5. 2003..Under these circumstances the CNS may be a sanctuary site, where viral persistence and antiviral drug resistance could result from limited drug penetration...
- Comparison of molecular tests for detection and quantification of cell-associated cytomegalovirus DNAAngela M Caliendo
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:3509-13. 2003..Extending the incubation time of the standard to 24 h increased the analytical sensitivity of the NucliSens test to 3.0 log(10) target cells...