Affiliation: Rush University Medical Center
- A community effort to reduce the black/white breast cancer mortality disparity in ChicagoDavid Ansell
544 Academic Facility, Rush University Medical Center, 600 South Paulina Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cancer Causes Control 20:1681-8. 2009..The Taskforce explored three hypotheses: black women in Chicago receive fewer mammograms, black women receive mammograms of inferior quality, and black women have inadequate access to quality of treatment for breast cancer...
- Mammography screening in six diverse communities in Chicago--a population studySteve Whitman
Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, 1500 South California Avenue, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 31:166-72. 2007..Data at the community level regarding mammography screening can help explain health disparities and inform plans for improved screening efforts...
- The black:white disparity in breast cancer mortality: the example of ChicagoJocelyn Hirschman
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, Mount Sinai Hospital, Room K430, 1500 South California Avenue, and Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Cancer Causes Control 18:323-33. 2007..The black:white disparity in breast cancer mortality has been increasing in the U.S. In order to gain insight into this disparity in Chicago, we examined mortality data together with other important measures associated with breast cancer...
- The racial disparity in breast cancer mortalitySteven Whitman
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Room K437, 1500 S California Avenue, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Community Health 36:588-96. 2011..Three societal hypotheses are posited that may explain this disparity. All three are actionable, beginning today...
- Regular screening mammography before the diagnosis of breast cancer reduces black:white breast cancer differences and modifies negative biological prognostic factorsPaula Grabler
Department of Radiology, Feinberg College of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 135:549-53. 2012..Regular mammographic screening can contribute to the narrowing of black:white differences in presentation of breast cancer...
- Smoking in 6 diverse Chicago communities--a population studyJade L Dell
MRE, Sinai Urban Health Institute, K438, Mount Sinai Hospital, California Ave at 15th St, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1036-42. 2005..We analyzed smoking survey data across communities in Chicago, Ill, to explore community-level variations in smoking behavior...
- Diversity and disparity: GIS and small-area analysis in six Chicago neighborhoodsSteven Whitman
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Med Syst 28:397-411. 2004..Since so much of attention is now being paid to reducing and eliminating these disparities, it is important to examine their existence to better understand how to minimize them...
- Primary care access decreases nonurgent hospital visits for indigent diabeticsDavid Ansell
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center Chicago Medical School, California at 15th Street, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 13:171-83. 2002..Access to primary care was associated with decreased utilization of nonurgent episodic care services and better quality of diabetes care...