Affiliation: Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center
- Clinical insights into the pathogenesis of primary pulmonary hypertensionS Rich
Section of Cardiology, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Chest 114:237S-241S. 1998..As we have been able to correlate the spectrum of clinical observations with advances in vascular biology, newer, more focused and effective therapies should begin to emerge...
- The short-term effects of digoxin in patients with right ventricular dysfunction from pulmonary hypertensionS Rich
The Rush Heart Institute, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612 3824, USA
Chest 114:787-92. 1998..We evaluated the short-term effects of digoxin administration in patients with primary pulmonary hypertension on hemodynamics, neurohormones, and baroreceptor responsiveness...
- Detection of subclinical cardiovascular disease: the emerging role of electron beam computed tomographyStuart Rich
Section of Cardiology, Rush Medical College, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Prev Med 34:1-10. 2002..Traditional screening methods utilizing risk factor profiles and exercise treadmill tests have failed to identify populations who will subsequently have coronary events with a high degree of predictive accuracy...
- Survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension: a reappraisal of the NIH risk stratification equationT Thenappan
Section of Cardiology, Dept of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Eur Respir J 35:1079-87. 2010..The NIH equation underestimated survival in idiopathic, familial and anorexigen-associated PAH. Once prospectively validated, the new equation may be used to determine prognosis...
- Utility of electron beam computed tomography to stratify patients presenting to the emergency room with chest painV V McLaughlin
Department of Medicine, Rush Medical College, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Cardiol 84:327-8, A8. 1999..Electron beam computed tomography scanning had a 98% negative predictive value in this setting...
- The effects of chronic prostacyclin therapy on cardiac output and symptoms in primary pulmonary hypertensionS Rich
Department of Medicine, Rush University Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 34:1184-7. 1999..This study evaluated the response to prostacyclin dose reduction in patients with primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH) who developed high cardiac outputs...
- Development of nonspecific interstitial pneumonitis associated with long-term treatment of primary pulmonary hypertension with prostacyclinS Kesten
Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Chest 116:566-9. 1999..We speculate that further cases of this syndrome may be reported as more patients are living beyond 5 years with prostacyclin...
- Age and gender distributions of coronary artery calcium detected by electron beam tomography in 35,246 adultsJ A Hoff
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Cardiol 87:1335-9. 2001..Knowledge of the distribution of CAC, the effect of age on the total CAC score as well as the differences in total CAC scores that exist between men and women of similar age will assist the clinician in interpreting EBT CAC results...
- Increased prevalence of significant coronary artery calcification in patients with diabetesS Schurgin
Department of Medicine, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diabetes Care 24:335-8. 2001..They also suggest that EBCT may be a useful approach for selecting a group of diabetic subjects who would benefit most from additional evaluation for subclinical coronary artery disease...
- Severe pulmonary hypertension: critical care clinicsV V McLaughlin
Center for Pulmonary Heart Disease, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Crit Care Clin 17:453-67. 2001..A meticulous evaluation is critical. Substantial advances in medical therapy have occurred over the past decade, and the future treatment of this syndrome is promising, with many new medications on the horizon...
- Anorexigens and pulmonary hypertension in the United States: results from the surveillance of North American pulmonary hypertensionS Rich
Section of Cardiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612 3824
Chest 117:870-4. 2000..Recently, fenfluramine appetite suppressants became widely used in the United States but were withdrawn in September 1997 because of concerns over adverse effects...
- A USA-based registry for pulmonary arterial hypertension: 1982-2006T Thenappan
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, IL, USA
Eur Respir J 30:1103-10. 2007..Inappropriate calcium channel blocker treatment is common. Survival rates have increased but remain low suggesting that prognosis is improving but PAH is still a progressive, fatal disease...
- Stenting to reverse left ventricular ischemia due to left main coronary artery compression in primary pulmonary hypertensionS Rich
Section of Cardiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612-3824, USA
Chest 120:1412-5. 2001..Stenting of the coronary artery can be done safely with the resolution of these symptoms...
- Electron beam computed tomography for assessment of coronary artery disease in HIV-infected men receiving antiretroviral therapyRohit Talwani
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:191-5. 2002..These results need to be confirmed in larger long-term studies, with controls well matched for coronary risk factors...
- Hormone replacement therapy is associated with less coronary atherosclerosis in postmenopausal womenFiras Akhrass
Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5611-4. 2003....