Elizabeth M McClure
Affiliation: RTI International
- Use of vaginally administered chlorhexidine during labor to improve pregnancy outcomesRobert L Goldenberg
Center for Research in Women s Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35233 1602, USA
Obstet Gynecol 107:1139-46. 2006..Our objective was to determine the potential for chlorhexidine used as a vaginal and neonatal wash to reduce adverse outcomes of pregnancy, especially in developing countries...
- First look: a cluster-randomized trial of ultrasound to improve pregnancy outcomes in low income country settingsElizabeth M McClure
Department of Statistics and Epidemiology, RTI International, Durham, NC, USA
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 14:73. 2014..Whether or not ultrasound use will improve care and ultimately pregnancy outcomes in low-resource settings is unknown...
- Antenatal corticosteroids trial in preterm births to increase neonatal survival in developing countries: study protocolFernando Althabe
Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy IECS, Dr Emilio Ravignani 2024, Buenos Aires, C1414CPV, Argentina
Reprod Health 9:22. 2012..There is currently no clear evidence about the safety of antenatal corticosteroid use for community-level births...
- Home birth attendants in low income countries: who are they and what do they do?Ana Garces
IMSALUD, Guatemala City, Guatemala
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12:34. 2012..Nearly half the world's babies are born at home. We sought to evaluate the training, knowledge, skills, and access to medical equipment and testing for home birth attendants across 7 international sites...
- A systematic review of the impact of malaria prevention in pregnancy on low birth weight and maternal anemiaElizabeth M McClure
Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 121:103-9. 2013..Prevention with sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine (SP) during pregnancy has been recommended in malaria-endemic areas but concerns remain about its benefit...
- The MANDATE model for evaluating interventions to reduce postpartum hemorrhageElizabeth M McClure
Department of Statistics and Epidemiology, Research Triangle Institute, Durham, NC 27709, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 121:5-9. 2013..To create a comprehensive model of the comparative impact of various interventions on maternal, fetal, and neonatal (MFN) mortality...
- A conference report on prenatal corticosteroid use in low- and middle-income countriesElizabeth M McClure
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Research Triangle Institute, Durham 27709, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 115:215-9. 2011..To evaluate the evidence for prenatal corticosteroid use in low- and middle-income countries and to make recommendations regarding implementation and further research...
- Communities, birth attendants and health facilities: a continuum of emergency maternal and newborn care (the Global Network's EmONC trial)Omrana Pasha
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:82. 2010..However, the effectiveness of emergency obstetric and neonatal care services has never been proven. Also unproven is the effectiveness of community mobilization and community birth attendant training to improve pregnancy outcomes...
- Complementary feeding: a Global Network cluster randomized controlled trialNancy F Krebs
University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO, USA
BMC Pediatr 11:4. 2011..Animal source foods in particular are cited as essential to achieve micronutrient requirements. The efficacy of the recommendation for regular meat consumption, however, has not been systematically evaluated...
- Brain research to ameliorate impaired neurodevelopment--home-based intervention trial (BRAIN-HIT)Jan L Wallander
Psychological Sciences and Health Sciences Research Institute, University of California, Merced, 5200 Lake Road, Merced, CA 95343, USA
BMC Pediatr 10:27. 2010....
- Reduced perinatal mortality following enhanced training of birth attendants in the Democratic Republic of Congo: a time-dependent effectRichard Matendo
Kinshasa School of Public Health, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
BMC Med 9:93. 2011..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect on perinatal mortality of training birth attendants in a rural area of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) using two established programs...
- Infection and stillbirthElizabeth M McClure
Department of Epidemiology, UNC Global School of Public Health, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:182-9. 2009..However, because infection-related stillbirth is uncommon in developed countries, and because those that do occur are caused by a wide variety of organisms, reducing this etiologic component of stillbirth much further will be difficult...
- Stillbirth in developing countries: a review of causes, risk factors and prevention strategiesElizabeth M McClure
Research Triangle Institute, Durham, NC 27709, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 22:183-90. 2009..To understand the rates, causes and risk factors for stillbirth in developing countries as well as the strategies that have been evaluated to reduce stillbirth...
- The global network: a prospective study of stillbirths in developing countriesElizabeth M McClure
Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 197:247.e1-5. 2007..Our goal was to determine stillbirth rates in a multisite population-based study in community settings in the developing world...
- Evaluation of the educational impact of the WHO Essential Newborn Care course in ZambiaE M McClure
Research Triangle Institute, Durham, North Carolina 27709, USA
Acta Paediatr 96:1135-8. 2007..To evaluate the effectiveness of the World Health Organization (WHO) Essential Newborn Care (ENC) course in improving knowledge and skills of nurse midwives in low-risk delivery clinics in a developing country...
- The use of chlorhexidine to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality and morbidity in low-resource settingsE M McClure
Department of Statistics and Epidemiology, RTI International, Durham, NC 27709, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 97:89-94. 2007..It also summarizes issues related to programmatic implementation...
- Maternal mortality, stillbirth and measures of obstetric care in developing and developed countriesE M McClure
Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 96:139-46. 2007..Because underlying causes of both outcomes appeared similar, the relationship between maternal mortality, stillbirth and three measures of obstetrical care were studied...
- Stillbirth in developing countriesE M McClure
Statistics and Epidemiology, RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 94:82-90. 2006..To conduct a systematic review of the literature on stillbirths in developing countries...
- Epidemiology of stillbirth in low-middle income countries: a Global Network StudyElizabeth M McClure
Research Triangle Institute, Durham, NC, USA
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 90:1379-85. 2011..To determine population-based stillbirth rates and to determine whether the timing and maturity of the stillbirths suggest a high proportion of potentially preventable deaths...
- Classifying perinatal mortality using verbal autopsy: is there a role for nonphysicians?Cyril Engmann
Departments of Pediatrics and Maternal Child Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Popul Health Metr 9:42. 2011..abstract:..
- The association of parasitic infections in pregnancy and maternal and fetal anemia: a cohort study in coastal KenyaElizabeth M McClure
Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States of America Research Triangle Institute, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e2724. 2014..In this study, we determine the relative impact of helminthes and malaria on maternal anemia...
- Training traditional birth attendants on the WHO Essential Newborn Care reduces perinatal mortalityAna Garces
IMSALUD, Guatemala City, Guatemala
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 91:593-7. 2012....
- Infectious causes of stillbirth: a clinical perspectiveElizabeth M McClure
Department of Epidemiology, Global School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 53:635-45. 2010..Screening, prevention, and treatment of maternal infections are important to reduce stillbirth risk...
- Stillbirth and early neonatal mortality in rural Central AfricaCyril Engmann
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7596, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 105:112-7. 2009....
- Clinical algorithms for the identification of sick newborns in community-based settingsBeena D Kamath-Rayne
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Acta Paediatr 101:344-51. 2012..Based on a comparison of relevant studies, we then identified the common, important clinical signs shown to be useful for the identification of at-risk newborns by health workers in community-based and low-resource settings...
- The relationship of intrapartum and antepartum stillbirth rates to measures of obstetric care in developed and developing countriesRobert L Goldenberg
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 86:1303-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to explore the relationship between intrapartum and antepartum stillbirths and various measures of obstetric care in developing and developed countries...
- Anemia prevalence and risk factors in pregnant women in an urban area of PakistanNaila Baig-Ansari
Program in International and Community Nutrition, Room 3252, Myer Hall, One Shields Ave, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Food Nutr Bull 29:132-9. 2008..Anemia affects almost two-thirds of pregnant women in developing countries and contributes to maternal morbidity and mortality and to low birthweight...
- Stillbirths in an urban community in PakistanImtiaz Jehan
Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Am J Obstet Gynecol 197:257.e1-8. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine stillbirth risk factors and gestational age at delivery in a prospective developing country birth cohort...