E E Walsh
Affiliation: Rochester General Hospital
- Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) for diagnosis of respiratory syncytial virus infection in adults: use of a single-tube "hanging droplet" nested PCRE E Walsh
Department of Medicine, Rochester General Hospital, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14621, USA
J Med Virol 63:259-63. 2001..Use of a nested RT-PCR significantly improves the ability to detect RSV in respiratory samples and should improve the ability to rapidly diagnose RSV infection in adults, especially in the elderly...
- Relationship of serum antibody to risk of respiratory syncytial virus infection in elderly adultsA R Falsey
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry and Rochester General Hospital, New York 14621, USA
J Infect Dis 177:463-6. 1998..1 +/- 2.1, vs. 10.3 +/- 1.5, P = .01). These results suggest that older adults with low titers of serum neutralizing antibody may be at greater risk of developing symptomatic RSV infection than those who have high antibody titers...
- A simple and reproducible method for collecting nasal secretions in frail elderly adults, for measurement of virus-specific IgAE E Walsh
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester General Hospital, Rochester, NY 14621, USA
J Infect Dis 179:1268-73. 1999....
- Comparison of respiratory syncytial virus humoral immunity and response to infection in young and elderly adultsA R Falsey
Department of Medicine, Rochester General Hospital, Rochester, New York 14621, USA
J Med Virol 59:221-6. 1999..These data suggest that the severe clinical manifestations of RSV in the elderly are not due to a significant defect in humoral immunity...
- Monoclonal antibody neutralization escape mutants of respiratory syncytial virus with unique alterations in the attachment (G) proteinE E Walsh
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry and Rochester General Hospital, New York 14621, USA
J Gen Virol 79:479-87. 1998..The predominant form of G produced by RSV-3 was found in infected cell supernatants, consistent with the size of secreted G...
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection in adultsA R Falsey
Rochester General Hospital and University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14621, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 13:371-84. 2000..An effective RSV vaccine has not yet been developed, and thus prevention of RSV infection is limited to standard infection control practices such as hand washing and the use of gowns and gloves...
- Pattern recognition receptors TLR4 and CD14 mediate response to respiratory syncytial virusE A Kurt-Jones
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Nat Immunol 1:398-401. 2000..RSV persisted longer in the lungs of infected TLR4-deficient mice compared to normal mice. Thus, a common receptor activation pathway can initiate innate immune responses to both bacterial and viral pathogens...